leash training

Old August 27th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
chuckb

Default leash training

hi!
my daughter just got a jack russell puppy. about 17 weeks i think. seems
very smart but does "Not" like the leash. fights and or runs when it,
the leash, shows up. any tricks?
i have never used a leash on any of my previous dogs so i don't have a
clue what to do.

chuck b:-)
Old August 27th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article 01sAi.488$hV.49@trnddc02, chuckb
wrote:

my daughter just got a jack russell puppy. about 17 weeks i think. seems
very smart but does "Not" like the leash. fights and or runs when it,
the leash, shows up. any tricks?
i have never used a leash on any of my previous dogs so i don't have a
clue what to do.

Have the puppy wear it (drag it) around the house. Spray with bitter
taste spray if s/he wants to chew it.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 27th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
chuckb

wrote:

my daughter just got a jack russell puppy. about 17 weeks i think. seems
very smart but does "Not" like the leash. fights and or runs when it,
the leash, shows up. any tricks?
i have never used a leash on any of my previous dogs so i don't have a
clue what to do.

Have the puppy wear it (drag it) around the house. Spray with bitter
taste spray if s/he wants to chew it.

thanks! i'll try that.
spray with bitter taste spray? any recommendations?

chuck b:-)
Old August 27th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article x2CAi.13002$OM1.10700@trnddc07, chuckb
wrote:

spray with bitter taste spray? any recommendations?

I've had the best luck with "Bitter Lime". rather than Bitter Apple, but
each dog seems to feel differently.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 27th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Justisaur

On Aug 26, 9:02 pm, chuckb wrote:
hi!
my daughter just got a jack russell puppy. about 17 weeks i think. seems
very smart but does "Not" like the leash. fights and or runs when it,
the leash, shows up. any tricks?
i have never used a leash on any of my previous dogs so i don't have a
clue what to do.

chuck b:-)

I just got a dog myself, fortunately leash trained (he comes up and
practically puts the leash on himself) but he pulls a lot, so I picked
up a halti which works great to redirect him like a horse, but he
fights it to start a lot trying to get it off. The instructions said
to distract him with sound, or treats as soon as he starts to do
anything to try to get it off, that's worked pretty well. I asked him
to sit and gave him a treat as soon as he did so, and he forgot about
it for a short while, which has extended to about 15 minutes from a
few seconds two days ago. After I had it on a bit I was able to just
correct him when he was trying to get out by pulling strait up.

- Justisaur

leash training Mick Dog breeds 21 May 19th 05 11:47 AM
Housebreaking and leash training Linda Dog behavior 8 April 21st 04 03:10 AM
Housebreaking and leash training Linda Dog behavior 0 April 19th 04 04:46 PM
Housebreaking and leash training Linda Dog behavior 0 April 19th 04 04:46 PM
"Borrowing" training ideas /Any Tips & Tricks on Puppy Leash Training? Lochiegirl Dog behavior 2 January 19th 04 02:56 AM