Dear boss, there's something I have to do...

Old August 27th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Default Dear boss, there's something I have to do...

....before I come to work. Yes, I needed to killerate my dogs. Well, all
except for Our Lady of Perfection. She's still alive.

Ok, so are the other two, but I mean, really. Just because you CAN jump
on the fence and somehow in your crazitude unlatch it and let everyone
out, doesn't mean you SHOULD do that.

I was trying to convince my neighbor's cat to come in for some food
(don't ask) when what to my wondering eyes did appear but Queenie. She
pursued the cat. I barely had time to think "damn, she made it over the
fence" when Max appeared, quickly bolting after Queenie and the cat. Zoe
came trotting up to me and came inside the house. I love her more than
ever.

So I grabbed some shoes and went out, still in my nightgown, after Q and
M (yes, it WAS 6 am), hoping to save the cat. I never found the cat, and
really hope she's ok, but I saw Q and M running down the street and a few
minutes later Max came running up to me and I managed to tell him he was
a "good" boy -- I tucked him under my arm and as we were heading home, I
heard a thunderous running sound behind me; Queenie had also decided to
return.

I'm mostly telling you all this to entertain you, as what are one's
personal foibles for if not to make others laugh, but I do have a serious
question. Do you think that if she had caught the cat, Queenie would have
then instantly run down the street? Wouldn't she act differently if she
had hurt or killed the cat (not leaving the cat behind so quickly, is
what I'm thinking)?

I have tried and tried to find the cat and I will try some more when I
get back home.

And yes, the gate is locked (not just latched) again.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the MOST PERFECT cockerchow
Old August 27th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

Do you think that if she had caught the cat, Queenie would have
then instantly run down the street? Wouldn't she act differently if she
had hurt or killed the cat (not leaving the cat behind so quickly, is
what I'm thinking)?

I would assume, having owned both dogs who have caught critters and
cats who have been chased by dogs, that A) Queenie would probably
not have left a critter she'd caught, if she'd been able to harm it,
and B) the cat likely got away unscathed and won't be very
interested in coming back to the scene of the pursuit. At least,
not for awhile. Not unless she's a hell raiser.

--
Shelly
Old August 27th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Shelly wrote:
I would assume, having owned both dogs who have caught critters and
cats who have been chased by dogs, that A) Queenie would probably
not have left a critter she'd caught, if she'd been able to harm it,

Based on Lindy, Mighty Huntress (TM), dead prey is boring and likely to be
abandoned. She hunts for the thrill of the chase, not for food, and I've
been able to call her off anything that's not moving. (OTOH, she'll spend
hours perfectly still, staring at a squinty's bolt-hole. Usually while a
half-dozen of the varmints are playing a boisterous game of Red Rover
behind her back. Mighty Huntresses (TM) aren't always the sharpest tack in
the board.)
Old August 27th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Mary Healey wrote:

(OTOH, she'll spend
hours perfectly still, staring at a squinty's bolt-hole.

Okay, my uncle (born and raised in Cedar Rapids) used that term when
I was visiting. I'd never heard it before. I assume(d), from
context, that it means squirrel?

Usually while a
half-dozen of the varmints are playing a boisterous game of Red Rover
behind her back. Mighty Huntresses (TM) aren't always the sharpest tack in
the board.)

Oh my! That would *not* happen on Miss Brown's watch! She has eyes
in the back of her head, I think.

--
Shelly
Old August 27th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Mary Healey wrote in
.4:

Shelly wrote:
I would assume, having owned both dogs who have caught critters and
cats who have been chased by dogs, that A) Queenie would probably
not have left a critter she'd caught, if she'd been able to harm it,

Based on Lindy, Mighty Huntress (TM), dead prey is boring and likely
to be abandoned.

Hmmm, mixed reviews here -- I *so* hope I can find the cat this evening.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old August 27th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Shelly wrote in
:

Mary Healey wrote:

(OTOH, she'll spend
hours perfectly still, staring at a squinty's bolt-hole.

Okay, my uncle (born and raised in Cedar Rapids) used that term when
I was visiting. I'd never heard it before. I assume(d), from
context, that it means squirrel?

Ground squirrel, aka chipmunk, aka chippie.

Usually while a
half-dozen of the varmints are playing a boisterous game of Red Rover
behind her back. Mighty Huntresses (TM) aren't always the sharpest
tack in the board.)

Oh my! That would *not* happen on Miss Brown's watch! She has eyes
in the back of her head, I think.

Lindy is a bear of very little brane, I fear.

Old August 27th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Mary Healey wrote:

Ground squirrel, aka chipmunk, aka chippie.

Ah! I was incorrect, but not totally off base. Thank you.

Lindy is a bear of very little brane, I fear.

Well, so is Miss Brown, but that's okay. They both have other
useful virtues.

--
Shelly
Old August 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"ceb" wrote in message:

Hmmm, mixed reviews here -- I *so* hope I can find the cat this evening.

FWIW. Khan buries stuff he kills. Saving it for posterity I suppose for
whenever I decide to stop feeding his lazy butt. Of course, The Mighty
Hunter can only catch stuff that is actually slower (and dumber) than him or
really, really sick, so no cat is ever going to be in danger.

Isabelle, who has caught rabbits, mice, squirrels, chipmunk, etc. is yet to
catch a cat, or even come close. If I had to place bets, I'd say that the
cat got away (unless it somehow managed to get cornered).

Suja

Old August 27th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

ceb said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have tried and tried to find the cat and I will try some
more when I get back home.

Check the poop!

Old August 27th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Rocky wrote in
:

ceb said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have tried and tried to find the cat and I will try some
more when I get back home.

Check the poop!

That is like so not funny and also in addition sick.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
& Queenie the black gold retriever
& Max the pomeranian
& Rosalie the calico cat

RIP My Dear Darlin Rudy Mary Beth Dog behavior 15 April 23rd 07 03:01 AM
Dear friends Evelyn Ruut Dog behavior 3 June 19th 06 06:51 PM
Ping: Janet Boss Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 0 October 10th 04 07:02 PM
Ping: Janet Boss Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 0 October 10th 04 07:02 PM