Loose Leash Walking

Old August 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Loose Leash Walking

It's been a while since I've had to train a dog to do this, but if I'm going
to be dog sitting with any kind of frequency, I may end up having to teach
certain doggies how to behave on leash.

A certain young dog is clearly missing a few brain installments. When he
gets excited, he trills. He chirps. He makes Chewbacca noises. When he
has a leash on, this is accompanied by a bucking bronco routine. I have
tried the make like a tree routine. He's pretty convinced that he is
perfectly capable of pulling this tree off its roots. Tried changing
directions and seeing if he'll pay attention, which he will if we're indoors
(and have yummy treats which he will persistantly try to nab and that
failing, will sit instead), not at all if we're out. If we're going some
place and he's excited (= any place other than within 20' of the house as
long as there is no wildlife nearby), he'll pull, lunge, jump up in the air,
jump up and forward at the same time, try to run, etc. He is controllable
by a Halti, but does not walk on a loose leash with it. Because his head
turns towards me when he tries to pull, he'll jump up in the air and in
circles with it on. He doesn't know how to walk in a straight line, and zig
zags constantly - out front, to the side, behind you, back between your
feet, etc. While ordinarily a sissy, he pays zero attention to a properly
fitted prong (I'll admit that the prongs are probably too large for him)

Is there anything that can be done to at least remediate his natural
tendencies somewhat in a short period of time? He is otherwise a very good
boy, especially for a young Sibe. No, scootering, skijoring, etc. are
generally not an option at this time. All I can say is TG for the dog park.

Suja

Old August 28th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to at least remediate his natural
tendencies somewhat in a short period of time?

Things that have worked for me include clicker training and
lots of random changes of direction (throw in gee/haw
commands and he'll start picking that up, too, which has the
additional benefit of teaching him to listen to you in
addition to other attention modes).

Things that have not worked have included make-like-a-tree
and training collars. However, I handle a training collar
badly and it may work for someone with decent skills.

Old August 28th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but this technique came highly
recommended:

http://www.dogpatch.org/training/choose.html

When I have CrazyDog for a longer period of time, I'll try it. He is very
exhuberent about everything, so I am reasonably sure about how he'll react
(I know how he'll react indoors, for instance), but it's worth a shot.
Also, I don't really care if he heels or not; I just want him to walk on a
loose leash without getting in everyone's way and tangling us all up. I can
still walk three dogs at a time by myself, but it's considerably more
difficult when one of them is constantly getting in everyone else's way.

BTW, when the dog is excited and trilling in your ear when you're in the
car, don't join in. Very bad idea unless you want your glasses and ears
full of slobber.

Suja

Old August 28th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

"Suja" wrote in news:5jj40mF3sqqntU1
@mid.individual.net:

Is there anything that can be done to at least remediate his natural
tendencies somewhat in a short period of time?

In class with Zoe, one of the tricks was keeping a stick with peanut
butter in front of her nose, walking along at the pace I wanted, letting
her get little licks now and then but mostly just keeping it slightly in
front of her.

That dog would do anything for peanut butter.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old August 28th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to at least remediate

his natural
tendencies somewhat in a short period of time?

Things that have worked for me include clicker training and
lots of random changes of direction (throw in gee/haw
commands and he'll start picking that up, too, which has the
additional benefit of teaching him to listen to you in
addition to other attention modes). Much patience is key to
most things doggie.

Old August 28th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to at least remediate

his natural
tendencies somewhat in a short period of time?

Things that have worked for me include clicker training and
lots of random changes of direction (throw in gee/haw
commands and he'll start picking that up, too, which has the
additional benefit of teaching him to listen to you in
addition to other attention modes). Much patience is key to
most things doggie.

Things that have not worked have included make-like-a-tree
and training collars. However, I handle a training collar
badly and it may work for someone with decent skills. I
have never known make-like-a-tree to work for any Siberian.
I'm sure that there are some out there for whom it would be
effective, but in my experience a typical Siberian will
happily choke itself while pulling against something solid.