Survivorman

Old August 28th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Survivorman

[]
Well, that was kind of a bust. I could deal with the
fact that he was obviously not a dog guy and was making lots
of rookie mistakes with the team (and in his comments about
the team - I saw at least one blue eye in there), but when
he let the team go and said "They'll be fine" that pissed me
off. There are countless things that can go very, very
wrong, from tangles to fights.

As I've mentioned my dogs are so used to hearing dogs on
television that they now ignore it, but a couple of them
popped up and stared at the tv when they heard him yelling
"GEE" over and over and over and over and over (an example
of a rookie mistake, BTW).

Some of it was okay, though. When people who aren't in the
cold much watch stuff like that, do you take it seriously
when he goes on and on about not getting wet?

Old August 28th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Melinda Shore wrote in
ups.com:

Well, that was kind of a bust. I could deal with the
fact that he was obviously not a dog guy and was making lots
of rookie mistakes with the team

I missed the very beginning. Did he say how much prep time and what
sort of orientation he'd gotten with the dogs?

but when
he let the team go and said "They'll be fine" that pissed me
off. There are countless things that can go very, very
wrong, from tangles to fights.

I was gobsmacked that he did that! I'm sorry, but that was not okay.
This is the first time, though, that I've been disappointed in an
episode of the show.

Some of it was okay, though. When people who aren't in the
cold much watch stuff like that, do you take it seriously
when he goes on and on about not getting wet?

He does that in every episode[1]! I've sweated plenty in the cold,
and yet, I live to tell the tale. Amazing! I mean, he has a point,
but boy, does he ever belabor it.

[1] Okay, he may not have said it in the Costa Rican jungle episode.

--
Shelly
Old August 28th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
I missed the very beginning. Did he say how much prep time and what
sort of orientation he'd gotten with the dogs?

He said he'd spent two days getting to know the team. He
didn't go into much detail about what that meant, but
clearly he'd been given basic lessons in how to hook them
up, feeding, camping, and so on. He obviously got less
training in how to actually drive the sled and how to
communicate with the dogs.

I was gobsmacked that he did that! I'm sorry, but that was not okay.
This is the first time, though, that I've been disappointed in an
episode of the show.

I hope he puts something up on his website about it. A lot
of people think highly of him and this was a big mistake.

On the other hand, gorgeous country and gorgeous dogs.
There used to be a 400 miler in Labrador that a bunch of
people from the northeast went up for, and they raved about
what a great race it was. Can't imagine driving the
trans-Labrador highway in winter, but I guess it's doable.

Old August 28th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Well, that was kind of a bust.

Pretty much. Rajesh ended up yelling at the guy on TeeVee, and I've never
seen him do that before. At the end, he kept yelling 'What happened to the
dogs? Did you get them to safety?'

but when
he let the team go and said "They'll be fine" that pissed me
off. There are countless things that can go very, very
wrong, from tangles to fights.

Yeah, he kept saying stuff about how they'll eat each other if his back is
turned, and then sent them on their merry way. What's up with that?

Some of it was okay, though. When people who aren't in the
cold much watch stuff like that, do you take it seriously
when he goes on and on about not getting wet?

Gosh, did he ever go on and on. Clubbing us over the head with it. I kinda
didn't get the point of this whole episode anyway. Can't say I learned a
whole lot either.

Suja

Old August 28th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Pretty much. Rajesh ended up yelling at the guy on TeeVee, and I've never
seen him do that before. At the end, he kept yelling 'What happened to the
dogs? Did you get them to safety?'

He and his crew had to be helicoptered off the ice. I mean,
c'mon - *what* happened to the dogs?

Also, if your dogs dump you and take off (and it happens to
everybody at some point) you do *not* set up camp unless
you're injured or there's a storm. You trudge off after
them. You flag down a passing skidoo (and there were tracks
all over the place, so they were there). You find your dogs
while their tracks in the snow are fresh and can be followed.
You do not say "they'll be fine" and dig a ditch to sleep in.
I appreciate that he was showing how to get comfortable in
the winter woods when you've really got nothing, but the
context was awful.

Gosh, did he ever go on and on. Clubbing us over the head with it. I kinda
didn't get the point of this whole episode anyway. Can't say I learned a
whole lot either.

I learned about using vaseline and cotton to start a fire,
but to be honest I have magnesium fire starters and knives
stashed in my parkas and carrying vaseline and cotton balls
strikes me as bulkier and less convenient. You can always
stuff 'em in the sled bag, but I think it's a good idea to
have them on your person.

Old August 29th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Melinda Shore said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

As I've mentioned my dogs are so used to hearing dogs on
television that they now ignore it, but a couple of them
popped up and stared at the tv when they heard him yelling
"GEE" over and over and over and over and over (an example
of a rookie mistake, BTW).

Segue to my dogs: I've been working on a Gee and Haw with Maybe.
At the moment, the idea is 180 to the right, 180 to the left. I
have great ideas as to where maybe this will go.

Old August 29th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:
He obviously got less
training in how to actually drive the sled and how to
communicate with the dogs.

That's not much time to learn about mushing, especially if he (I
assume) isn't a dog person. Still, you'd think basic dog handling
information (like, don't repeat commands a million times) would have
been covered.

I hope he puts something up on his website about it. A lot
of people think highly of him and this was a big mistake.

I thought it was weird that there was no post-production update
comment on whether or not the dogs were okay. Sheesh!

On the other hand, gorgeous country and gorgeous dogs.

Yes!

Can't imagine driving the
trans-Labrador highway in winter, but I guess it's doable.

Yeah, if you happen to own an AT-AT.

--
Shelly
Old August 29th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
Segue to my dogs: I've been working on a Gee and Haw with Maybe.
At the moment, the idea is 180 to the right, 180 to the left. I
have great ideas as to where maybe this will go.

If you want to use "standard" mushing terminology, those are
"come gee" and "come haw." Because you can blab your way
through a rally course Emmett had a leg up and did better
than I expected when we took a rally class. But, you know,
there are mushing border collies and mushing Aussies all
around Canada. Skijoring in particular but whole teams,
too.

Old August 29th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

That's not much time to learn about mushing, especially if
he (I assume) isn't a dog person. Still, you'd think basic
dog handling information (like, don't repeat commands a
million times) would have been covered.

I've told people a million times not to repeat commands to their
dogs. Some, like my brother, can't help themselves.

Old August 29th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Rocky wrote:

I've told people a million times

Ha! Maybe the same holds true for humans?

not to repeat commands to their
dogs. Some, like my brother, can't help themselves.

Maybe it's a sort of nervous tick, like saying "um" or clearing your
throat?

--
Shelly