mental stimulation

Old August 31st 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Andy[_2_]

Default mental stimulation

hi

I've been trying to come up with new ways to mentally stimulate my jack
Russell and have exhausted al my ideas. I tried giving him war and peace the
other day but he wasn't interested.

has anyone got any weird and wonderful ideas I could try.

thanks

Old August 31st 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

montana wildhack spoke these words of wisdom
in news:2007083116191816807-montana@wildhackcominvalid:

On 2007-08-31 15:06:27 -0400, "Andy" said:

hi

I've been trying to come up with new ways to mentally stimulate my jack
Russell and have exhausted al my ideas.

Lots of tricks, retrieving games, etc.

Train him in earthdog.
Old September 1st 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Andy" wrote in message
hi

I've been trying to come up with new ways to mentally stimulate my jack
Russell and have exhausted al my ideas. I tried giving him war and peace

the
other day but he wasn't interested.

has anyone got any weird and wonderful ideas I could try.

thanks
=================

You could look into training him for Flyball Racing which JRT's love to do,
or signing him up for Agility classes which JRT's excell at.

Old September 1st 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Andy" wrote in message
hi

I've been trying to come up with new ways to mentally stimulate my jack
Russell and have exhausted al my ideas. I tried giving him war and peace

the
other day but he wasn't interested.

has anyone got any weird and wonderful ideas I could try.

thanks

============
You could teach him to catch a frisbee.

Old September 1st 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

pfoley wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message

hi

I've been trying to come up with new ways to mentally stimulate my jack
Russell and have exhausted al my ideas. I tried giving him war and peace

the

other day but he wasn't interested.

has anyone got any weird and wonderful ideas I could try.

thanks
=================

You could look into training him for Flyball Racing which JRT's love to do,
or signing him up for Agility classes which JRT's excell at.

There are tons of JRTs in flyball. The jump height is set according to
the height of the shortest dog on the team. It is calculated by taking
the dog's height at the withers minus 4 inches, down to a minimum of 7"
and up to a maximum of 14" (under NAFA rules).

JRTs are well suited to the game but you may need to be very patient.
My border collies were ready to run after 4 to 6 months of training.
The jack, who started puppy appropriate, twice per week training at the
age of 12 weeks, was not ready for competition for another 2 years.

That was rough because my club was starved for short dogs and I was
under considerable pressure to get Cooper online and operational. I'm
glad I held out, though. He has a gorgeous turn and he knows it's a
race. I've seen him lope on home, knowing the dog in the other lane
couldn't possibly catch him and I've seen him dig deep and slingshot
himself off the box to catch an opponent with a head start.

There are some jacks doing agility but if I were looking for a dog to do
agility with, a JRT wouldn't be my first choice.

Earthdog stuff is fun, though. Lure coursing, racing, muskrat swims,
barn hunts, go-to-ground.

OVER STIMULATION Fran Dog behavior 15 May 7th 07 08:05 PM
The SECRET Art Of Medical Grade Static Like Stimulation Training Success [ninnyboy] [jerry] [email protected] Dog behavior 1 February 17th 06 12:24 PM
Mental Stimulation (Was Teenage Dog) Lynda Dog behavior 0 April 15th 05 08:07 PM
Just who is it with the mental illness here? Brian Dog behavior 0 January 9th 04 05:02 PM