Trooper Investigated For Alleged Animal Abuse

Old September 1st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

Default Trooper Investigated For Alleged Animal Abuse

Trooper Investigated For Alleged Animal Abuse

Updated: Today at 1:24 p.m.

Raleigh — The State Bureau of Investigation is looking into allegations that
a trooper abused a police dog during a training exercise in early August.

Sgt. Charles L. Jones, 38, was placed on investigative leave and turned in
his badge and uniform on Friday after internal affairs investigators
received video tape of an incident of alleged animal abuse.

The tape contains footage of Jones handling Rioch, a Belgian Malinois, at a
training exercise in early August. Another trooper recorded the incident
with his cell phone camera and turned it over to internal affairs
investigators.

Details about the exact nature of the alleged animal abuse are not being
released.

After seeing the tape, Brian Beatty, the state secretary of Crime Control
and Public Safety, suspended Jones and called in the SBI.

The SBI is investigating to see if Jones broke any laws. Abusing a law
enforcement animal is a felony offense.

Rioch has been removed from Jones's care and is being housed in a kennel at
the North Carolina State Highway Patrol Training Academy. Jones is banned
from having any contact with Rioch.

Rioch had lived with Jones at his Wake County home for seven years and was
the first dog that had been assigned to Jones.

Jones, a 12-year veteran of the Highway Patrol, is assigned to the Special
Operations Division and also coordinates training for troopers and their
canines.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1768062/

Old September 2nd 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

td,
I wonder what the big secret is about the "alleged" animal abuse of a
Belgian Malinois Police dog, by it's handler. It just seems like the
form of abuse would have been outed.
Anyway, I am thankful that after 7 years with his handler, if the dog
was abused, he has now been rescued.
Every time I read of an incident of abuse I have to wonder how many
other dogs are abused in the same manner and still have not been
rescued.
WTF is wrong with people (allegedly)?

Be Free.....Judy

Old September 2nd 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
td,
I wonder what the big secret is about the "alleged" animal abuse of a
Belgian Malinois Police dog, by it's handler. It just seems like the
form of abuse would have been outed.
Anyway, I am thankful that after 7 years with his handler, if the dog
was abused, he has now been rescued.
Every time I read of an incident of abuse I have to wonder how many
other dogs are abused in the same manner and still have not been
rescued.
WTF is wrong with people (allegedly)?

Here's an even worse story, which I saw on AOL CBB:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...9/18444779.php

Police Officer Accused of Killing K-9 Partner
"Take Action" to ask State Attorney to seek maximum sentence

Sergeant Allen Cockfield of the Miami-Dade Police Department was recently
charged with felony animal cruelty charges for allegedly kicking his K-9
partner Duke to death during an obedience training exercise with more than
a dozen other police dogs and trainers present. The reason, according to an
anonymous witness: Duke barked when he wasn't supposed to, so Cockfield
hoisted the four-year-old German shepherd by the leash around his neck and
repeatedly kicked him in a fit of rage until he lost consciousness. Duke
reportedly died later at a veterinary clinic from injuries sustained during
the attack.

Paul, Muttley and Lucky

Old September 2nd 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

What pisses me off is why the hell none of the other officers didn't try and
stop the sob from kicking the dog in the first place. As far as I'm
concerned all the witnesses should be charged as an accomplice to the crime
because they did nothing to stop him.

Celeste

Old September 2nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vey

Spot wrote:
What pisses me off is why the hell none of the other officers didn't try and
stop the sob from kicking the dog in the first place.

Pack mentality, and I mean by the people, not the dogs. When you are a
member of a group like that, misbehavior by other members is tolerated
much more readily than if members were alone.
Old September 2nd 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
td,
I wonder what the big secret is about the "alleged" animal abuse of a
Belgian Malinois Police dog, by it's handler.

I don't know Judy. That's why I posted it here. I've checked back a couple
times, but still no word leaked on exactly what it was he was doing to the
dog. But I figured if it made that strong an impression on those who viewed
the tape, it had to be bad.

td

Old September 3rd 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

In reference to the 2nd case of animal abuse resulting in death by a
police officer.

The incident where the police dog was kicked to death while the fellow
cops looked on.

Vey, I could not agree more with your comment about pack mentality in
reference to cops. IMO There is something about a power trip and pack
mentality that coincide when it comes to some cops.

Possibly, pack mentality is to blame in the first incident of dog abuse
by his K-9 police officer. Perhaps they are all hanging together to
keep the abuse silent. Thankfully, the dog is alive and rescued,
hopefully he ends up in a cop free home or even a police officer with
dog handling experience and a fondness for dogs.

Be Free.....Judy

Old September 4th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vey

Judith Althouse wrote:

Vey, I could not agree more with your comment about pack mentality in
reference to cops. IMO There is something about a power trip and pack
mentality that coincide when it comes to some cops.

Not just cops, Judy. It's a "group" thing. People have studied this, but
the fact is that people act differently when they are a member of a
group than when they are individuals.

In the first case, the photographer didn't stop the crime. Why not? But
then he had second thoughts and turned in the film.

In the second case, there were several people that didn't stop the crime.

In both cases, thee were people hat could have stopped things, but they
didn't.

I'm not going to get political, like Morrison, but the fact is that
military, para-military (cops), people in corporations (think Enron) and
even (and why this is I don't understand at all) people that identify
with political parties, willingly overlook "transgressions" (as they
like to call them) of people in their group, but scream body murder if
people outside their group commit the same crimes.

An "Us" vs. "Them" situation helps all of this along.

Old September 4th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"vey" wrote in message
Judith Althouse wrote:

[...]

Not unlike a pack of dogs. Or a pack or RPDBers?

I've always been a sort of "lone wolf", sometimes even deliberately going
against the majority, and I disliked conformity, even when I was in grade
school where it was important to follow the latest fashion or fad.

Some people are probably more attracted to this sort of social behavior. In
many cases, there is safety in numbers, and it's a good thing. But I think
many people would rather exist in a confortable situation where they are
told exactly what to do by a strong leader, and are rewarded with money,
love, status, and other desired commodities. This sometimes appears in
extremist and fanatical religious factions, gangs, and highly focused
organizations with causes such as anti-abortion, the environment, animal
rights, and even fascism.

So, I prefer to be a free thinker, and consider others' opinions and
advice, but also use logical thought and creativity to explore other
options. The world needs some of each type. Conformists can be dangerous
when they violently impose their beliefs upon others, and Independents can
cause chaos if they refuse to cooperate.

It often takes a lot of courage to go against "the pack" and take a stand
against what they are doing, even when it seems so obviously wrong to
someone outside the group. In some cases, it can result in banishment and
death.

Paul, Muttley and Lucky

Old September 4th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vey

Paul E. Schoen wrote:

I've always been a sort of "lone wolf", sometimes even deliberately going
against the majority, and I disliked conformity, even when I was in grade
school where it was important to follow the latest fashion or fad.

Want to know something really odd? Every darn one of them claims the
same thing as you do. They all fancy themselves as being individualistic.

*They* are not conformist. *They* are free thinkers. *They* don't go
along with the crowd. *Other* people are sheeple, but not them.