Never feed your pet ...

Old September 3rd 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default Never feed your pet ...

Yesterday's Parade Magazine gave the following list of foods never to
feed your pet:

Alcohol
Apple cores
Avocado
Bones
Caffeine
Cheese
Chocolate
Dough
Fat
Garlic
Grapes
Ham
Liver
Milk
Moldy foods
Mushrooms
Onions
Potato peels
Raisins
Tuna.

What's wrong with cheese, ham, mushrooms, potato peels and tuna? I'm
especially curious bout the cheese. We've been wrapping Cubbe's meds in
cheese.

--Lia

Old September 3rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
What's wrong with cheese, ham, mushrooms, potato peels and tuna? I'm
especially curious bout the cheese. We've been wrapping Cubbe's meds in
cheese.

Tuna's got unfortunate levels of mercury and ham has
nitrites and a *lot* of salt. Can't speak to the others,
but to the extent that cheese contributes to making dogs so
freakin' fat, that's not good. There's also mold on cheese,
and generally it is not a good idea to overdo dogs and
dairy.

Old September 3rd 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've read about *cheese* before. Could be dogs shouldn't have dairy
products in general?

td

Old September 3rd 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"tiny dancer" wrote in
:

I've read about *cheese* before. Could be dogs shouldn't have
dairy products in general?

Yes and no. Some dairy products, like yogurt and cheese, are
cultured, so they are not a problem for lactose intolerant
individuals (like dogs). Cheese, though, is high in fat and salt, so
it's not a good idea to give large quantities of it to dogs. A tiny
amount should be fine, though.

A lot of things on the list are common sense (alcohol), but the
inclusion of mushrooms surprises me. I know I'm not the only one
here who gives my dog mushrooms.

--
Shelly
Old September 3rd 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..

What's wrong with cheese, ham, mushrooms, potato peels and tuna? I'm
especially curious bout the cheese. We've been wrapping Cubbe's meds in
cheese.

Raw potato is somewhat poisonous. Potato sprouts, eyes, leaves are
definitely poisonous - solanine and some other chemical. Potato peelings
(presumably being raw) shouldn't be fed to dogs.

Solanine increases with age and light exposure, decreases with cooking. I'm
sure you've heard not to green potato peels.

flick 100785

Old September 3rd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Shelly wrote:
Some dairy products, like yogurt and cheese, are
cultured, so they are not a problem for lactose intolerant
individuals (like dogs). Cheese, though, is high in fat and salt, so
it's not a good idea to give large quantities of it to dogs. A tiny
amount should be fine, though.

A lot of things on the list are common sense (alcohol), but the
inclusion of mushrooms surprises me. I know I'm not the only one
here who gives my dog mushrooms.

Maybe I'm tripping over the word "never." I realize that a dog is
likely to survive a minute amount of chocolate, but it still makes sense
to me to say that a dog should never be given chocolate.

But does it make sense to say that a dog should never have cheese? Sure
it is fatty, and many dogs are underexercised and overweight, but never?
We use small amounts as training treats and to aid giving pills.
Cubbe is NOT underexercised and overweight. So where's the harm?

Are all dogs lactose intolerent? Jim insists on giving Cubbe a little
of the watered down milk leftover from the steamed milk he uses for his
own cappucino. It doesn't seem to upset her digestion or give her gas.

I'm getting curious about the no mushrooms rule as well. Not that Cubbe
likes them, but she's fussy and often refuses to eat food that falls off
the cutting board.

--Lia

Old September 3rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

Shelly wrote:
[...]

Perhaps it is to discourage them from eating mushrooms in the wild? Our old
dog Murphy, ate some mushrooms that were growing in our yard once. I called
the vet immediately and he said to get her to vomit them up. We didn't know
if the mushrooms were safe or poisonous.

We did give her fat free vanilla ice cream though, per the vets
instructions. She'd had pancreatitis and he had given her a powder to take
for the remainder of her life, and it was he who suggested we mix it in a
bit of fat free vanilla ice cream to get her to take it. It became a real
challenge after a devastating hurricane here, to find some fat free vanilla
ice cream that hadn't been spoiled by the fact that nearly everyones power
was out for days. I didn't want to chance using anything that might have
been spoiled, thawed and refrozen, etc.

td

Old September 3rd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"Julia Altshuler" wrote

Yesterday's Parade Magazine gave the following list of foods never to feed
your pet:

Alcohol

I once had a dog who loved beer. On one 4th of July picnic she got up on one
of the tables and knocked several cans over in order to lap the contents up.
She lived to a ripe old age, by the way.

Bones

There would be a Canine Mutiny in this house if we withheld bones. I am
careful not to give little or splintery bones however.

What's "Parade Magazine" anyhow? It doesn't sound like something a
professional vet etc would use as a source of trustworthy information...

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old September 3rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Julia Altshuler" wrote

snipped
What's "Parade Magazine" anyhow? It doesn't sound like something a
professional vet etc would use as a source of trustworthy information...

I comes in the Sunday newspaper. It's not a piece of fluff, simply includes
various types of information along with a bit of *star* news. But the
informative articles are usually quite interesting.

td

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old September 3rd 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Opinicus wrote:
What's "Parade Magazine" anyhow? It doesn't sound like something a
professional vet etc would use as a source of trustworthy information...

Right - it's a bunch of advertising wrapped around filler
text and inserted into Sunday newspapers in the US. It's
Marilyn vos Savant's main outlet, if that's a clue.

They do one thing I like, though, and that's "Make a
Difference Day."

How to feed 100 dogs at once Melinda Shore Dog behavior 3 April 28th 07 04:58 PM
Helf feed a puppy jimks13 Dog breeds 0 January 13th 07 05:51 PM
What happens when you feed your dog beer and donuts. :( Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 1 May 29th 06 12:23 AM
Weed and feed on the lawn j05h Dogs - general 3 April 12th 06 02:01 AM
Can I feed the postman to my dog ? ? ? ? Dan Simper Dogs - general 0 February 4th 05 07:15 AM