Question on Dog Behaviour

Old September 4th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
jerry

Default Question on Dog Behaviour

Hello everybody. I am a loving Dog owner who is a bit confused about
behavior these last two days. Last year we had two dogs, Duke a 12
year old Bassett Hound, and Sammy a 2 year old Lab mix. We had a
neighbor who had an 'accidental' litter and we took one of those, it
was a half Boxer, Half Pit bull, we named him Leeroy.

Shortly after getting Leeroy, Duke got sick and died, leaving us with
Leeroy and Sammy. Leeroy is now 9months old and 90lbs and a true
sweetheart. Sammy is a few years old and very calm quiet and sedate.

My sister recently had a litter of Jack Russell Terriors, and
convinced us what a good idea it would be for us to take one, which we
did yesterday. He is 8 weeks old and named Butters.

Sammy seems to like Butters but really doesn't care much one way or
the other... Leeroy on the other hand is acting very strange. First
let me say he is not being aggressive in any sort of perceivable way.

Yesterday when Butters came home, Leeroy was very nervously excited,
wagging like crazy, and crouching as if he was trying to get down
lower than the puppy... like that will ever happen.

He has not been able to leave the puppy alone since, constantly
following it around, licking it like crazy, nudging him here and
there. If anything I would say he is acting way overly motherly. He
will not pay much attention to anything else going on in the house...
He's just gotta keep an eye on the puppy... He does spend a lot of
time "down low' trying to get on the puppy's level, and his forehead
is always wrinkled like he is confused.... he is acting a bit nervous
but over the top lovey...

PS Leeroy and Sammy are both fixed.

any ideas?

jerry

Old September 4th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
jerry

On Sep 4, 12:42 pm, montana wildhack
On 2007-09-04 12:37:23 -0400, jerry said:

He does spend a lot of
time "down low' trying to get on the puppy's level

Playbow. He's trying to engage Butters in play.

Montana... I remember the name, I was here at the end of last year
when we got leeroy, i posted some pictures and whatnot... do you
remember?

Old September 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
jerry

On 2007-09-04 12:37:23 -0400, jerry said:

He does spend a lot of
time "down low' trying to get on the puppy's level

Playbow. He's trying to engage Butters in play.

I made a quick video of Leeroy and Butter... this never stops, Leeroy
will not pay attention to anything at all except Butters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY5twkH2b8

Old September 4th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

jerry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY5twkH2b8

Leeroy does not seem to me to be trying to play with Butters, though
Butters seems to be trying his darnedest to entice him. I'd be
concerned about Butters being too pushy, though Leeroy seems to be
willing to put up with it. That could change, though. I'd also be
careful about Leeroy constantly following Butters around, as you
describe. If he *is* hyper focused on Butters to the exclusion of
everything else, and if he is trying to control Butters' movements,
then you need to step in and put a stop to it.

I'm not saying that what's happening is bad, but that I think the
two dogs need to be supervised carefully.

--
Shelly
Old September 4th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

montana wildhack wrote:

I hadn't seen the video before I guessed Playbow. This isn't a playbow.
jerry, in a playbow the rear end is sticking up while the front half is
down.

And with Boxers, it's usually accompanied by wriggling nubs-n-butts.

I don't think I'd be concerned, but I also would be carefully
supervising.

I don't mean concerned in the "start panicking" sense, but in the
"be aware and supervise them" sense. Butters is awfully small, so
it's best to keep an eye on him, which I'm sure Jerry is doing
anyway, onna counta Teh Cute.

Of course, following Butters around with a videocam is
careful supervision. Those two are darned cute.

For sure! They are both adorable.

--
Shelly
Old September 4th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
jerry

There is for sure a lot of licking and a lot of nudging on Leeroys
part. I think he is stressed because he is doing a lot of panting and
drooling. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, I am sure things will settle
down and the 'newness' will wear off.

They are absolutely not left alone, anytime we can't watch the puppy
first hand he goes in the playpen... of course Leeroy sits right there
and stares at him through the side =P

Thus far there has been no aggression. Only twice did Leeroy step on
him and get a yelp. sometimes he looks like he wants to nudge him up
from underneath with his nose, sometimes he wants to hold him in place
with his hand... I can't figure the motives out.

Old September 4th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

jerry wrote:
There is for sure a lot of licking and a lot of nudging on Leeroys
part. I think he is stressed because he is doing a lot of panting and
drooling. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, I am sure things will settle
down and the 'newness' will wear off.

Yes, it sounds and looks like he's stressed, or at least, unsure of
the situation.

They are absolutely not left alone, anytime we can't watch the puppy
first hand he goes in the playpen...

Excellent!

of course Leeroy sits right there
and stares at him through the side =P

A glutton for punishment? If you aren't already doing so, you might
want to take him away from Butters for some fun, alone time.

Thus far there has been no aggression. Only twice did Leeroy step on
him and get a yelp. sometimes he looks like he wants to nudge him up
from underneath with his nose, sometimes he wants to hold him in place
with his hand... I can't figure the motives out.

I don't know that I'd interfere at this point, but I'd watch them
closely. That pinning down sounds to me like Leeroy trying to
control Butters' movements. I don't know Leeroy, so I may well be
wrong. In my Boxer, that would absolutely be a controlling move.
She's a *terrible* bossypants, so I'd nip it in the bud before she
got ideas of grandeur. This may not be the case with Leeroy,
though. He may just be trying to figure out what the heck Butters *is*.

--
Shelly
Old September 4th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

jerry said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSY5twkH2b8

At this stage, I see no reason for concern, though supervision
is a good thing.

Old September 4th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"jerry" wrote in message:

There is for sure a lot of licking and a lot of nudging on Leeroys
part. I think he is stressed because he is doing a lot of panting and
drooling.

Yaknow, this sounds an awful lot like how Khan is when he finds cats.
Except, cats aren't nearly as cooperative as the pup, which ups the
excitement level a bit. There is the same type of being obsessed and
following the cat around with his nose up its butt, pawing at it, panting
and drinking massive amounts of water, etc. He can't sleep because OMG!
There are CATS on the other side of the door. And yes, he'll sit and watch
a cat that is in its crate. In his case, this behavior is not dangerous to
the cat.

I think Leeroy is just trying to figure out just what the heck that thing is
that's so fascinating. It will hopefully wear off in a little bit of time.

Suja

dog behaviour Mon Dog behavior 4 March 23rd 07 06:02 PM
Another inate behaviour question David Hare-Scott Dog behavior 18 June 2nd 05 04:07 PM
Dog Behaviour Bracks 1 Dog behavior 3 December 24th 04 01:03 AM
Three Questions on dog behaviour Nick Dog behavior 0 May 18th 04 12:16 AM
Odd Behaviour Mark/Shell Dog behavior 14 July 20th 03 12:18 AM