Ping Melinda

Old September 7th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Ping Melinda

I don't know if you would be interested - or if you know anyone who might
be.........

There's a seminar October 13th in Greene NY on orthopedic conditions in
performance dogs. It's Dr. Ross and a vet tech from Colonial - seminar is
being sponsored by a couple of kennel clubs.

I talked with one of the club members last night and they seem to be not
reaching people outside of their club circles very well.

I've sent it to a bunch of agility people and groups but is this something
that the sled dog people also might be interested in? I have permission to
crosspost to any groups that would have an interest.

http://www.chenangovalleykc.org/seminar10_07.pdf

They are also still working on the specifics of the seminar so if you or
anyone has any ideas on what they would most like to see covered, the clubs
are open to suggestions.

Sassy has what seems to be a pulled muscle so this is hitting me right at a
teachable moment. (Runs - RACES - just fine. Refuses to jump. Although
today she's up on the couch on her own.) I have an appointment on Monday at
Colonial but I'm still about 50/50 about whether or not we'll be keeping it.
With rest (HA!!), she does seem to be improving some.

Judy

Old September 7th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
There's a seminar October 13th in Greene NY on orthopedic conditions in
performance dogs. It's Dr. Ross and a vet tech from Colonial - seminar is
being sponsored by a couple of kennel clubs.

That's something that interests me a lot, and mushers are
talking about it more. I'll post a pointer to it to the
Pennsylvania Sleddog Club message board (most PSDC people
are actually in NY) and see if the Mohawk Valley club will
post something. Will you be going?

Sassy has what seems to be a pulled muscle so this is hitting me right at a
teachable moment. (Runs - RACES - just fine. Refuses to jump. Although
today she's up on the couch on her own.) I have an appointment on Monday at
Colonial but I'm still about 50/50 about whether or not we'll be keeping it.
With rest (HA!!), she does seem to be improving some.

In my experience with soft tissue injuries like that there's
really nothing that can be done except rest, which is just
about impossible for some dogs. The vet can give you a
better sense of how long she needs to stay off, etc.,
although I realize it's kind of a schlep.

Dr Ross has done ACL repairs on a couple of dogs I know and
people who have gone to him love him.

Old September 7th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
That's something that interests me a lot, and mushers are
talking about it more. I'll post a pointer to it to the
Pennsylvania Sleddog Club message board (most PSDC people
are actually in NY) and see if the Mohawk Valley club will
post something. Will you be going?

Thanks. They're getting a little nervous because they haven't filled so I
told them I'd do what I could. The contact person from Susquenango said she
doesn't belong to any groups on line so wasn't even aware that they could be
used to advertise their project.

My check is in today's mail. We have an agility trial up in Port Byron that
weekend but we were only planning to do Sunday anyway (Saturday is the start
of muzzleloader season here so *someone* isn't available for dog stuff that
day.)

For $30 - which includes lunch - it sounds like a heck of a deal. It's a
hike from here but it sounds like something I need to do.

In my experience with soft tissue injuries like that there's
really nothing that can be done except rest, which is just
about impossible for some dogs. The vet can give you a
better sense of how long she needs to stay off, etc.,
although I realize it's kind of a schlep.

We've always been concerned that, eventually, Sassy would hurt herself.
She's extremely well-muscled but is kind of a "fling your whole body into
life" sort of dog. We're doing what rest we can without crating her. If
she's still at all hesitant Monday morning, I'll load the dogs into the CR-V
and make the trip. Even if they just say "rest", I'll get a better sense of
what we can do to help it or prevent it in the future.

I'm on my own because the other half is in Canada fishing. So Spenser will
have to ride along. I've got an appointment not with Dr. Ross but with an
associate, Dr. Yanoff - who is highly recommended by some agility friends.

Dr Ross has done ACL repairs on a couple of dogs I know and
people who have gone to him love him.

That does seem to be the case. The club is quite excited about having him
speak. (The contact person has Rotties - one of whom had two knee surgeries
within twelve weeks of each other. She thought she was buying him a new
boat.)

Thanks for your help. I always like to encourage clubs to do this sort of
thing - and a small attendance wouldn't convince them to do something
similar again.

Judy

Old September 7th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Thanks. They're getting a little nervous because they haven't filled so I
told them I'd do what I could. The contact person from Susquenango said she
doesn't belong to any groups on line so wasn't even aware that they could be
used to advertise their project.

This internet thing has become so ubiquitous that I'm pretty
surprised when I run into people who don't use it, even
though I know I shouldn't be. I've been trying to get the
local hippie feed store to carry a performance feed and gave
them a bunch of references to companies that are well-
regarded among mushers but might not be known more widely,
and when I asked them owner if she had broadband out where
she lives she was a bit confused.

By the way, the flyer doesn't mention what the seminar is
actually about until you get to the small text after all the
details. People might not know who Dr Ross is but they're
likely to be interested in the topic, so the flyer could
maybe have been laid out more clearly. I don't know if
there's a polite way to tell the CVKC people that once the
flyer's been published, though.

My check is in today's mail. We have an agility trial up in Port Byron that
weekend but we were only planning to do Sunday anyway (Saturday is the start
of muzzleloader season here so *someone* isn't available for dog stuff that
day.)

So you're going to drive up to Greene, drive home that
night, and then drive up to Port Byron the next day? Wow.

The fall Cabela's catalog arrived yesterday and I realized
it was time to check the DEC site for the dates for the
hunting seasons in NY and make sure my don't-shoot-me-
clothes and don't-shoot-my-dogs vests are in decent shape.
Hunting season is a pain in the butt for those of us who
don't hunt but are in the woods, but I LOVE FALL.

I'm on my own because the other half is in Canada fishing.

Where'd he go? My grandfather loved to fish and he'd take
some of the uncles and head out to the Kawarthas or the
Halliburton area and come back with coolers of fish, which
my grandmother would process into mountains of gefilte
fish.

Thanks for your help. I always like to encourage clubs to do this sort of
thing - and a small attendance wouldn't convince them to do something
similar again.

I've been encouraging mushing friends to go to dressage
seminars, but so far nobody's done it. If you're interested
in gaits and movement they can be incredibly educational,
even if it's horses and not dogs.

Good luck with Sassy and Colonial!

Old September 7th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
By the way, the flyer doesn't mention what the seminar is
actually about until you get to the small text after all the
details. People might not know who Dr Ross is but they're
likely to be interested in the topic, so the flyer could
maybe have been laid out more clearly. I don't know if
there's a polite way to tell the CVKC people that once the
flyer's been published, though.

I see what you mean about it. My contact is with Susquenango and I'll
mention it to her for any future designing. The websites for the two clubs
had an introduction to the pdf file that explained it at least a little.
But the flyer itself - not so well.

So you're going to drive up to Greene, drive home that
night, and then drive up to Port Byron the next day? Wow.

Uh, yeah. Except that I'll pass off the Sunday driving. It *will* mean an
early morning departure but that hasn't killed me yet. I can always sleep
on Monday.

Where'd he go? My grandfather loved to fish and he'd take
some of the uncles and head out to the Kawarthas or the
Halliburton area and come back with coolers of fish, which
my grandmother would process into mountains of gefilte
fish.

He's up north of the Thousand Island Bridge on the Little Mississippi River
up near Perth. We used to go to a friend's cottage on Charleston Lake - not
too far away from there, near Athens. The friend sold the cottage when her
husband died and we stupidly didn't think we could buy it.

I don't expect that much fish will make it home. I'm sure they'll catch
plenty but he's of the cook it or release it school. Mostly he needs some
time away from mothers and problems. The trip was originally planned for
June but his mother did a deathbed thing (The woman is in hospice and has
been off all meds except for pain since June. She is now referred to as the
Energizer Bunny) so he couldn't bring himself to go.

I've been encouraging mushing friends to go to dressage
seminars, but so far nobody's done it. If you're interested
in gaits and movement they can be incredibly educational,
even if it's horses and not dogs.

The agility people are getting the idea some. Jumping is jumping and
turning is turning, after all. I'm hearing a lot more about gait changes
and leading legs.

Good luck with Sassy and Colonial!

I'll probably take even if she is doing better - unless she's approaching
100%. She seems to be at the point where she's better until she does just
one or two things - and then she remembers. I think I need to be doing a
better job at keeping her quiet. It ought to be easier this afternoon while
it's so hot. And since the dogs are recently clippered, they have no
protective coat for any rain we might get over the weekend. (Rain? What's
that?)

And I have a huge stack of books calling my name this weekend. Besides a
collection of dog books, detective novels and murder mysteries, I'm eager to
read "The World Without Us" (what happens to the earth if man disappears)
and "Here If You Need Me"" (the story of a woman chaplain appointed to the
Maine Warden Service).

So I'm kind of hoping for a rainy weekend for more than one reason.

Judy

ping! Melinda Lynne Dog behavior 7 March 22nd 07 07:05 PM
PING Melinda Judy Dog behavior 0 May 24th 04 06:59 PM
PING Melinda Judy Dog behavior 0 May 24th 04 06:59 PM