Dog Sitting

Old September 7th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Dog Sitting

I have the honor of dog sitting my grandmother's 13 year old Lhasa
Apso for three weeks while she visits her sister in California. I'm
having an interesting problem with this dog. My grandmother give her
a treat EVERY time she goes outside and actually goes to the
bathroom. As a result, I believe this dog is only partially relieving
herself outside, which I know a lot of people don't think a dog will
do when it actually has to go to the bathroom, but none the less she
does it. First thing in the morning she will go outside and pee only
a small amount only to be begging to go back outside in about 10
minutes, which will repeat for at least 4 trips outside. Problem is,
I am trying to get ready for work while taking care of all of my
animals' morning rituals and making breakfast for my wife and myself,
so she typically ends up peeing on the floor while I am cooking
breakfast. Which it is getting annoying having to clean the carpet
every morning before work. I don't think it is a medical problem
because I know she has seen the vet more times in the last year than
all of mine combined as she goes for the slightest problem, so I think
it is just a behavioral problem. My understanding is she has been
doing the partial peeing trick for a while now. So hopefully I can
break her of it and her other behavior problems over the next three
weeks. Any advice would be welcomed as I have never had to break a
dog of an issue like this.

I've introduced her to a crate, which is very annoying because my
grandmother does not "like" crating dogs, and neither does the dog who
is very vocal about it. I'm also working on getting her off the free
feeding she does with my grandmother because none of my animals are
free fed, which means she hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday
evening when I brought her home. Her treats are being dramatically
cut back, in fact I'm not giving her any until she at least eats some
of her actual food. I think she was living off treats with the food
as a snack when she wanted it. Hopefully I'll be able to get her down
to a normal weight in the three weeks, because right now she is way to
stocky for a lhasa apso. Normally with getting her to stop peeing
inside I would think crating with immediate trips outside followed by
supervised time inside and then back in the crate when not able to be
supervised. This would mean having to take her out repeatedly when
supervising her which I don't think will help in trying to get her to
actually fully go to the bathroom while outside in one trip.
Basically, I don't have any ideas on what to do to break this annoying
habit, and I don't have time to repeatedly take her outside in the
morning before work.

Thanks,

Nick

Old September 7th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"
spoke these words of wisdom in
ps.com:

I have the honor of dog sitting my grandmother's 13 year old Lhasa
Apso for three weeks while she visits her sister in California. I'm
having an interesting problem with this dog. My grandmother give her
a treat EVERY time she goes outside and actually goes to the
bathroom. As a result, I believe this dog is only partially relieving
herself outside, which I know a lot of people don't think a dog will
do when it actually has to go to the bathroom, but none the less she
does it. First thing in the morning she will go outside and pee only
a small amount only to be begging to go back outside in about 10
minutes, which will repeat for at least 4 trips outside.

It sounds like the dog needs a trip to the vet to me.

Problem is,
I am trying to get ready for work while taking care of all of my
animals' morning rituals and making breakfast for my wife and myself,
so she typically ends up peeing on the floor while I am cooking
breakfast. Which it is getting annoying having to clean the carpet
every morning before work. I don't think it is a medical problem
because I know she has seen the vet more times in the last year than
all of mine combined as she goes for the slightest problem, so I think
it is just a behavioral problem.

It still may be an age developed problem. Elderly dogs do seem to go to
the vet quite frequently.

Renal failure or urinary tract issues (both common in the older dog) or
even hormonal issues can cause thqat. I would NOT jump to conclusions
without seeing a vet.
Old September 7th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 11:54 am, diddy none wrote:
"
spoke these words of wisdom oups.com:

[...]

I guess I can schedule an appointment then. She uses my vet so it
won't be a big deal.

Nick

Old September 7th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"
[...]

Makes me feel better.

I've many times had a dog checked by a vet with a clean bill of health
only to call another vet for a second opinion before even leaving the
first vet's parking lot. And my instincts to double check were correct.

I've also left the vets with a clean bill of health, turned around and
rescheduled an appointment with the SAME vet, and even seen the same vet
as much as 4 times in the same day, until I got a satisfactory answer.

.... and the dog fixed.

I tend to be persistant that way.
Old September 7th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Incontinence can become a problem as a dog ages. I think more so in female
dogs than males. One of my daughters dogs takes a pill for incontinence, so
it could be the dog really can't help it?

td

Old September 7th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:49:03 -0000,
"
wrote:

[...]
I've introduced her to a crate, which is very annoying because my
grandmother does not "like" crating dogs, and neither does the dog who
is very vocal about it. I'm also working on getting her off the free
feeding she does with my grandmother because none of my animals are
free fed, which means she hasn't eaten anything since Wednesday
evening when I brought her home. Her treats are being dramatically
cut back, in fact I'm not giving her any until she at least eats some
of her actual food. I think she was living off treats with the food
as a snack when she wanted it. Hopefully I'll be able to get her down
to a normal weight in the three weeks, because right now she is way to
stocky for a lhasa apso.

Ain't gonna happen.

Normally with getting her to stop peeing
inside I would think crating with immediate trips outside followed by
supervised time inside and then back in the crate when not able to be
supervised. This would mean having to take her out repeatedly when
supervising her which I don't think will help in trying to get her to
actually fully go to the bathroom while outside in one trip.
Basically, I don't have any ideas on what to do to break this annoying
habit, and I don't have time to repeatedly take her outside in the
morning before work.

Nick, I think this is one of those occasions where you can't have your
cake and eat it, too.

Whatever you do for the next three weeks is probably going to be for
naught, because your grandmother (like the dog) is probably going to
revert to old habits upon her return.

If I were you, and you're 100% certain that there isn't a medical
reason for this (and I don't know how you could, without a visit to
the vet), I'd just find a way to go with the flow (no pun intended!).

I wouldn't try to "break" her of any of her "behavior problems."

I'd just find a way to accommodate them.

If you don't think your grandmother would disown you for doing it,
take her to your vet and have them check her out.

Medication might help here.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Zogby poll: 42% of "reality-based" community are either Truthers or Quasi-Truthers (reinforcing, once again,
just how freakin' "smart" these maroons are! Like Mel, they apparently watch Keith Olbermann! Heh.
http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=9747

The horrors of political correctness.
http://michellemalkin.com/2007/09/06...l-correctness/

Some "consensus," eh?
"Less Than Half of all Published Scientists Endorse Global Warming Theory"
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...c-6880767e7966

The "reality-based" community: Hopelessly Devoted to Failure.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...ZhYjU5ZjEzNDE=

Why "liberal" doesn't quite fit:
"In the short term, this reflects the failure of the Republican Party to secure its hard-won victories. In
the longer term, this may provide a new opportunity for the heirs to authentic liberalism - today's conservatives -
as they often thrive when lovers of big government, by whatever name they go by, overreach."
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/...beral-doe.html

"The main proponents of 'universal coverage' want to throw more money at the current health care system,
which strikes me as unwise. I believe that the 'universal coverage' mantra is dysfunctional for the same
reason that 'more money for public schools' is a dysfunctional mantra for education. When your current
approach is digging you into a hole, the sensible thing to do is not to dig faster. It is to stop digging."
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=080607B
Old September 7th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"tiny dancer" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Hormone supplementation often helps. As does PPA and others.
Old September 7th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 1:27 pm, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

Nick, I think this is one of those occasions where you can't have your
cake and eat it, too.

Whatever you do for the next three weeks is probably going to be for
naught, because your grandmother (like the dog) is probably going to
revert to old habits upon her return.

If I were you, and you're 100% certain that there isn't a medical
reason for this (and I don't know how you could, without a visit to
the vet), I'd just find a way to go with the flow (no pun intended!).

I wouldn't try to "break" her of any of her "behavior problems."

I'd just find a way to accommodate them.

If you don't think your grandmother would disown you for doing it,
take her to your vet and have them check her out.

Medication might help here.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Yeah, everyone is probably right, I'm just frustrated. She may be
fine in their home with someone there every minute of the day, but my
life just doesn't work like that. I am going to schedule a vet trip,
no worries with getting disowned as I am the "Chosen One" in her
eyes. Probably because I do things like take care of her dog for
three weeks at a time every time she asks. I forgot how lucky I was
with Yoda, who has only peed in the house three times since I got him
over two years ago, and they were each my fault.

Nick

what to ask for pet/house sitting? Tara Legale Dogs - general 3 May 6th 07 10:41 PM
Adventures in Dog Sitting - Part Ii Suja Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 07 02:44 AM
Pet Sitting Problem GIGI Dog behavior 2 May 27th 06 09:37 PM
San Diego dog sitting exchange [email protected] Dogs - general 0 October 14th 05 06:31 AM
Pet Sitting Business Forms [email protected] Dog behavior 0 August 30th 05 07:17 PM