Papillon stinks

Old September 8th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Denise

Default Papillon stinks

Hello,

We have just inherited a female papillon, about 4 years old. We have
had her for almost two weeks now. She was pretty stinky when we got
her. We treated her for fleas, waited about a week, then gave her a
bath. She was fine for a few days, then started to stink again.

Any ideas of what could cause this? Is this a papillon thing?

Thanks!

Old September 8th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Denise wrote:
Hello,

We have just inherited a female papillon, about 4 years old. We have
had her for almost two weeks now. She was pretty stinky when we got
her. We treated her for fleas, waited about a week, then gave her a
bath. She was fine for a few days, then started to stink again.

Any ideas of what could cause this? Is this a papillon thing?

Healthy dogs don't stink. They do have a smell but it's nothing that
you'd notice walking into the house after being at work. At worst they
smell like wet dog (which I myself kinda like) but the odor dissipates
as the fur dries.

Where is the smell coming from? Ears? Mouth? Rear end? Coat?

I'd have the vet check her over to make sure she doesn't have some sort
of infection.

Don't discount your sense of smell as a diagnostic tool and don't let
anybody else blow you off, either. In human beings, strep throat
produces a characteristic odor. So does dental decay (even in an
otherwise well-maintained mouth).

My family practice MD considers "strep breath" a good enough reason to
bring the patient in for a swab and culture, even if the accompanying
sore throat is only mild to moderate.

Old September 8th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Denise said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

We have just inherited a female papillon, about 4 years
old. We have had her for almost two weeks now. She was
pretty stinky when we got her. We treated her for fleas,
waited about a week, then gave her a bath. She was fine
for a few days, then started to stink again.

Any ideas of what could cause this? Is this a papillon
thing?

From which end does she stink?

If you can, describe the stink. Words like moldy, rank, skunky,
and fishy, are all good descriptors.

The easiest solution for you would be to take her to a good
groomer. If it's ears or anal glands they can probably point
you in the right direction.

Old September 8th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

Denise schrieb:
Hello,

We have just inherited a female papillon, about 4 years old. We have
had her for almost two weeks now. She was pretty stinky when we got
her. We treated her for fleas, waited about a week, then gave her a
bath. She was fine for a few days, then started to stink again.

Any ideas of what could cause this? Is this a papillon thing?

Thanks!

Hi,

Is she getting decent food? Even otherwise healthy dogs can smell bad
if they're fed your average supermarket fodder.

We adopted a six-month-old mix three months ago, and she smelled very
strongly at first, from the ears and fur/skin. It was a little better
after we cleaned her ears (there's a chamomile solution here in Germany
stocked by vets), and dramatically better after we changed her over from
kibble to fresh food, even though it was a relatively OK kibble she was
getting.

If I were you, I'd get her checked up by the vet and change her food if
the smell persists.

Here are a few links about feeding fresh:
www.starlitt.com/barf.html
www.rawlearning.com/
http://k9joy.com/education/feedyourdog.php
www.rawmeatybones.com

Here's some info on better/worse sorts of commercial dog food:
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

All the best,
Sally

Old September 13th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Sep 7, 4:51 pm, Denise wrote:
Hello,

We have just inherited a female papillon, about 4 years old. We have
had her for almost two weeks now. She was pretty stinky when we got
her. We treated her for fleas, waited about a week, then gave her a
bath. She was fine for a few days, then started to stink again.

Any ideas of what could cause this? Is this a papillon thing?

Thanks!

one of my dogs use to smell bad ,and they are inside dogs,it had ear
mite,but this might not be your case but you might want to check
anyways,

Summer stinks Melinda Shore Dog behavior 35 June 22nd 07 05:17 AM
Rambo STINKS! Kind2dogs Dog behavior 3 September 3rd 03 03:32 PM
Rambo STINKS! dejablues Dog breeds 8 September 3rd 03 04:40 AM
Rambo STINKS! dejablues Dog behavior 16 September 3rd 03 04:40 AM
Rambo STINKS! dejablues Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 03 09:38 PM