Thyroid Meds for my Dog?

Old September 8th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Thyroid Meds for my Dog?

Hello -

My 12 year old Lab had a routine geriatric panel on July 20th; all was
normal except that his cholesterol was high (334) and his lipase was
high (521), and his T4 (thyroid) was low normal (1.5). He was back at
the vet's on August 28th, and we noted that he had gained 5 pounds in 5
weeks. The vet did another thyroid test and his T4 had dropped to 1.3.
The vet is suggesting that my dog's quick weight gain (with no change
in diet) could be related to a thyroid problem, and thinks we might
start him on a low dosage of thyroid medication.

I've been looking into canine thyroid problems online, and Hank has no
other symptoms...no lethargy, no hair loss, no skin or ear infections.
So I'm wondering if starting him on thyroid meds is a good idea. We
would like him to lose weight to help with his minor arthritic problems.
He should probably weigh about 75 pounds and at last check (after the
abrupt 5 lb. weight gain) he weighed 91.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old September 8th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message ...
My 12 year old Lab had a routine geriatric panel on July 20th; all was
normal except that his cholesterol was high (334) and his lipase was
high (521), and his T4 (thyroid) was low normal (1.5).

...............was this bloodwork done after a 12 hr fast?

He was back at
the vet's on August 28th, and we noted that he had gained 5 pounds in 5
weeks. The vet did another thyroid test and his T4 had dropped to 1.3.
The vet is suggesting that my dog's quick weight gain (with no change
in diet) could be related to a thyroid problem, and thinks we might
start him on a low dosage of thyroid medication.

...........Maybe, but just T4 and T3 is not reliable for diagnostic purposes
as other problems can affect both these readings. A full 6 panel thyroid
test should be run to be sure it is the thyroid.

I've been looking into canine thyroid problems online, and Hank has no
other symptoms...no lethargy, no hair loss, no skin or ear infections.

..........While the range of symptoms for hypothyroidism can be wide, not all
dogs get all the symptoms.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 8th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

..........Maybe, but just T4 and T3 is not reliable for diagnostic
purposes
as other problems can affect both these readings. A full 6 panel thyroid
test should be run to be sure it is the thyroid.

Ditto that. In house thyroid tests for dogs may be an indicator, but is just
not reliable. We always send out 6 panel thyroids for dogs. Always.

Old September 9th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
Ditto that. In house thyroid tests for dogs may be an indicator, but is

just
not reliable. We always send out 6 panel thyroids for dogs. Always.

.........I'm really glad to hear that. It seems many vets are willing to
treat for *hypothyroidism* based on T4 or T4 and T3 alone. Then they look
for a response. Thyroid meds will always perk a mammal up, whether they're
hypoT or not. A bit like taking speed.

.........I'm curious if your hubby has found a correlation between his
guesses/gut feelings/symptoms based on T4 and the 6 panel test. I'm not
trying to discount a vet's experience and certainly a large weight gain plus
a low T4 seems to indicate hypoT, but still......

Old September 9th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

........I'm curious if your hubby has found a correlation between his
guesses/gut feelings/symptoms based on T4 and the 6 panel test. I'm not
trying to discount a vet's experience and certainly a large weight gain
plus
a low T4 seems to indicate hypoT, but still......

I think (he's not here to ask - just got back from the devestating Bill's
loss...... ergh) he doesn't usually waste time sending off for testing if
symptoms point in that direction. It doesn't hurt to rule out. Another tool.
Usually those he sends off for 6 panel do come back positive. Don't know if
his gut feeling combined with symptoms drive him to make that decision. I'll
ask when he gets back from the office.

Spaying and thyroid? Amy Dahl Dog health 0 November 2nd 06 04:42 PM
Ongoing Thyroid Saga Suja Dog health 16 October 23rd 06 03:29 AM
Thyroid Problem? Suja Dog health 2 July 20th 06 11:36 AM
Thyroid pills? Mitch Amino Dog health 4 August 19th 03 11:35 PM
Thyroid pills? Mitch Amino Dog health 0 August 19th 03 06:38 AM