Beginning tracking???

Old September 11th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Beginning tracking???

Okay, Sassy definitely has a strained muscle. We saw both the orthopedic
vet and the canine physical therapist (who knew they had such things?) and
they agree. Probably a very specific muscle, left hind, used for jumping.

And she is pretty heavily muscled. Witness at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10798065@N08/1248237767/

So she's on leash rest for four weeks, with Metacam. If she can't do it on
a leash, she's not allowed to do it. Then we meet again in a month and the
restrictions probably extend for another four weeks. It's looking like it
will be at least the first of the year before we can start her back doing
any sort of agility.

We can handle that. There are still four trials that we're entered in but
she can go and watch Spenser from the sidelines. It'll probably be easier
to keep to her restrictions while at a trial (where she's always on a leash)
than at home.

I got thinking last night that she's going to really miss the mental
stimulation of agility. And while I still have Spenser trialing and
training in agility, I need something to do with Sassy. And because Sassy
is such a "fling your whole body into life" sort of dog, even with caution
(which is not in her vocabulary) and massage and such, this type of muscle
injury is likely to happen again in her life. Maybe she needs to have
another outlet.

Is there someplace I can find out about training tracking? Our agility
instructor does it with one of his dogs so I'll be in touch with him. But I
like to have some written sources - perhaps with a suggested program? I
have trained beagle puppies to trail - we'd start them as soon as they could
navigate reasonably well. Is it the same sort of thing?

I can (and will) google and find out the generic stuff. But do any of you
who do tracking have any favorites?

Thanks.

Judy
Spenser - Carbor Talk of the Town MX AXJ JE NF
Sassy - CanCH Carbor Back Talk OA AXJ NF

Old September 13th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Judy" wrote in message
Is there someplace I can find out about training tracking? Our agility
instructor does it with one of his dogs so I'll be in touch with him. But
I like to have some written sources - perhaps with a suggested program? I
have trained beagle puppies to trail - we'd start them as soon as they
could navigate reasonably well. Is it the same sort of thing?

I can (and will) google and find out the generic stuff. But do any of you
who do tracking have any favorites?

Thanks.

Judy
Spenser - Carbor Talk of the Town MX AXJ JE NF
Sassy - CanCH Carbor Back Talk OA AXJ NF

Judy,

First, sorry to hear about Sassy.
I have a bunch of books on tracking and my personal favorite is "Tracking
From the Ground Up" by Sandy Ganz and Susan Boyd.
I know you are in the Ithaca region, to some extent. If you like, email me
privately and I'll give you info on the boys' breeder. She is very
knowledgable about tracking. She has FHs and TDXs.

Beth

Old September 13th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"bethgsd" wrote in message
If you like, email me
privately and I'll give you info on the boys' breeder. She is very
knowledgable about tracking. She has FHs and TDXs.

Thanks, Beth. I will do that when I get back from our weekend trial and I
have a minute.

Judy