5 Tips For Feeding A Happy, Healthy Dog

Old September 16th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default 5 Tips For Feeding A Happy, Healthy Dog

Do you really know all there is to know about your canine companion's
nutritional needs? Many pet owners think they're doing what's best for
their dogs when it comes to food, but in reality they rely on pure
instinct more than science. Nutrition isn't a guessing game, even when
it comes to your pooch. Think about it - if you were left to feed
yourself based only on what you craved and had no knowledge of what
your body needs to function, would you be eating 5 servings of fruit
and veggies or would you head straight for the Ding Dong case at the
market?

1. Cover all of the bases.

A dog's diet can be as complex as any human's (including yours!), and
it's absolutely essential that you, as an owner, hit all of the vital
nutritional bases. A deficiency of certain vitamins and nutrients can
lead to upset tummies; overly dry or oily skin, brittle bones, weight
issues, and, in some of the worst cases, death. A balanced and proper
diet is the building block of your dog's overall health - if he
doesn't get the right blend of nutrients, the most impeccable care
otherwise won't mean a thing. But with the right diet, his defences
against disease and disorders are infinitely stronger than a dog whose
owner hasn't put much thought into an eating plan.

2. Mix it up!

For the most part, pre-packaged food will help you cover all of the
major nutritional requirements a healthy, fairly young dog has. This
where many owners trip up simply because of the ease of the decision;
Most think that the major choice is between dry and moist food, when
in reality the best diet you can provide your dog is one varied in
ingredients, textures, and nutritional value. Wolves where carnivores,
and that instinct remains with their our modern day dog; to this day.
They continue to hunt prey (poor Kitty), love sausage-flavoured
treats, and adore the great crunch they get when chowing down on a
bone. Those varied elements should give you a little bit of insight
into how diverse your dog's diet can be.

3. Move beyond meat.

Building some portion of his diet from meat gives you many of the
crucial nutrients he needs for energy and growth, but he also needs
fiber and carbohydrates to aid in digestion and stability. You could
throw down a bowl of dry food every day and maybe give him a "treat"
of moist food once a month, but how would you like it if the tables
were turned and he insisted on feeding you pancakes every day for the
rest of your life? Not such a sunny outlook, is it?

4. Make it a real meal.

Listen, nobody ever said you had to rely on a bag or can of food to
feed your dog. You cook for your family all the time. Doesn't your dog
deserve similar treatment? Most owners say they'd love to cook for
their pups but just don't know where to start, and that's where I come
in. Now you can help fulfil all of your dog's nutritional needs as
well as his taste desires with just one quick flip through my new
book, 180 Delicious Gourmet Dog Recipes. I know, I know, you're busy,
and there's barely time to cook your family a proper meal. That's why
you'll love this book - in addition to covering all of the usual
recipes like traditional dog chow and cookies, I've created several
that are healthy and delicious enough for you, your dog, and your
family. Being skeptical is natural; after all, I never dreamed I'd
come up with recipes I could easily share with my dogs! But how can
you pass up recipes like biscotti, muffins, omelettes, dinner mints,
and even sushi?

5. Give him some green.

Your dog needs a well-balanced diet, and the best way to accomplish
that is through a wide variety of ingredients. Did you know that many
dogs love veggies? In fact, if your dog likes to nibble on grass, he
may appreciate some of the veggie-oriented recipes in the cookbook.
Give it a shot and see what you - and your dog - think. After all, the
worst that could happen is an improvement in your pooch's health!

The only set rule in feeding your pup is to make sure his meals
satisfy the unique nutritional requirements any dog has. You don't
have to stick to the bag or the can, and you don't have to spend hours
slaving away in the kitchen. Making dishes for your dog can be a
family event, and nothing expresses gratitude better than a big,
sloppy, wet kiss. "180 Delicious Gourmet Dog Food Recipes" features a
huge array of delectable treats made to please any pup... but you'll
be amazed at how many you can eat, too! It's a great starting point
for any well-rounded nutritional plan for your dog. You'll both be
happy you made the investment!

By Matthew
a href="http://xrl.us/56oy"Essentials For All Dog Owners/a