Dog breeds in order of 'size' - Help needed please!

Old September 18th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Spamfree!

Default Dog breeds in order of 'size' - Help needed please!

Hi Group!

Sorry to trouble you, but I'd appreciate some help. I'm trying to assemble a
list of dog breeds in ascending order of size. I know that all dogs are
different shapes and proportions so it's not always easy to compare them; I
guess I'm aiming for a list which isn't sequenced by 'height', nor by
'volume'; just by common sense.

I've already made an attempt at the majority of the list - these are the
breeds I'd like to be sure are sequenced in the correct order.

Right down the bottom of this posting are a group of breeds which I can't
even guess at; it would be nice to add some/all of these breeds into the
sequenced list but it's not so important.

If you could give me a few minutes to more accurately sequence even just a
section of the list I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks and regards.
_________________________

Here's the list:

Chihuahua
Pomeranian
Papillon
Havanese
Maltese
Yorkshire Terrier
Chinese Crested
Lhasa Apso
Maltese
Toy Fox Terrier
Bichon Frise
Poodle (Toy)
Manchester Terrier (Toy)
Pekingese
English Toy Spaniel
Shih Tzu
French Bulldog
Brussels Griffon
Hungarian Puli
Miniature Bull Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Miniature Pinscher
Silky Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Scottish Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier
Boston Terrier
Beagle
Italian Greyhound
Welsh Corgi
King Charles Cavalier Spaniel
Pug
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
Dachshund (Miniature)
West Highland White Terrier
Poodle (Miniature)
Bedlington Terrier
Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Manchester Terrier (Standard)
Smooth Haired Fox Terrier
Wire Haired Fox Terrier
Border Terrier
Patterdale Terrier
Jack Russell Terrier
Parson Russell Terrier
Welsh Terrier
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Skye Terrier
Whippet
Irish Water Spaniel
American Water Spaniel
Dachshund (Standard)
English Cocker Spaniel
American Cocker Spaniel
Border Collie
Bulldog
American Bulldog
Kerry Blue Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Wire Haired Pointing Griffon
Norwegian Elkhound
Basset Hound
Dalmatian
Sussex Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
Clumber Spaniel
English Foxhound
American Foxhound
Samoyed
Siberian Husky
English Setter
Smooth Coated Collie
Chinese Shar-Pei
Poodle
Boxer
Flat Coated Retriever
Standard Schnauzer
Rough Coated Collie
Bearded Collie
American Eskimo Dog
Airedale Terrier
Pointer
Irish Setter
Borzoi
Afghan Hound
Pharaoh Hound
Golden Retriever
Ibizan Hound
Labrador Retriever
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Portuguese Water Dog
Giant Schnauzer
Bullmastiff
Doberman Pinscher
Greyhound
Weimaraner
Black and Tan Coonhound
Belgian Sheepdog
Scottish Deerhound
German Shepherd Dog
Old English Sheepdog
Bernese Mountain Dog
Rottweiler
Bloodhound
Great Pyrenees
Neapolitan Mastiff
Newfoundland
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Saint Bernard
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Otterhound
Mastiff

And these are the breeds which I can't even guess at:

Affenpinscher
Akita
Alaskan Malamute
American Pit Bull Terrier
Anatolian Shepherd
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd
Australian Terrier
Basenji
Belgian Malinois
Belgian Tervuren
Bouvier Des Flandres
Briard
Brittany
Canaan Dog
Cane Corso
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Chow Chow
Coton de Tulear
Cesky Terrier
Finnish Spitz
German Short Haired Pointer
German Wire Haired Pointer
Harrier
Japanese Chin
Keeshond
Komondor
Kuvasz
Lowchen
Saluki
Schipperke
Shiba Inu
Shiloh Shepherd
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Tibetan Spaniel
Tibetan Terrier
Vizsla

Old September 18th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

"Spamfree!" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

Norwegian Elkhound Your Norwegian Elkhounds must be HUGE

wherever you are

The ones I generally experience are between 18" to 21" and weigh 35-50
pounds.

I have friends with Irish water spaniels, and my dog runs under her dog's
belly!
Old September 18th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

Spamfree! wrote:

Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier

It's my understanding that this is basically one breed with different ears.

I'd list it as Norwich/Norfolk Terriers. Or vice versa.

Old September 18th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Spamfree!" wrote in message:

I'm going to comment on the ones that seem immediately out of place to me.

Bulldog
American Bulldog

IME, American Bulldogs have been substantially bigger than English Bulldogs.
Not just by height, but also by weight.

Norwegian Elkhound

Definitely need to be moved up on the list. They're hairy, but not big.

Rough Coated Collie

Rough and smooth collies are basically the same dog, with the substantial
difference being the hair. The hair wouldn't affect the size.

American Eskimo Dog

Eskies are much smaller dogs.

Giant Schnauzer
Bullmastiff

Both bigger dogs than Dobies, Greys, Weims, etc.

Bernese Mountain Dog

Also bigger than the nearby neighbors.

Akita
Alaskan Malamute

85 - 90 pound dogs (males, anyway), about 25" (or more) at the withers.
Wherever you're placing those

Basenji

About 25 or so pounds, 16-17" at withers.

Vizsla

Medium sized. 45-50 pounds, 22-23" at withers, I'd guess.

Suja

Old September 18th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Spamfree! wrote:

Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier

It's my understanding that this is basically one breed with different

ears.

I'd list it as Norwich/Norfolk Terriers. Or vice versa.

==================
As far as I know, they are two different breeds: Norwich Terrier, (pointed
ears) and Norfolk Terrier (tipped ears)

Quotedfrom AKC
"In 1964 England recognized the drop ear Norwich as a separate breed,
terming them the Norfolk Terrier. The American Kennel Club took the same
step effective January 1, 1979. The recognition of the two varieties as
separate breeds is now the rule in all English-speaking countries and in
Europe and Scandinavia.
Visually there appears to be a distinct difference between the two breeds,
resulting in two slightly different breed standards. Each breed has
developed with success since separation."

Old September 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"Spamfree!" wrote in message
[...]

What you will need to do is list the weight and height ranges for each
breed, as well as the median or average for each, and then weigh the
relative importance of each, to come up with a number. Then you can simply
sort on that number. The figures are generally available on the AKC website
and other sources, including the Wiki. I'm not going to do the research for
you, and the criteria you use will depend on what it is you are trying to
accomplish.

An Excel spreadsheet can be your friend, or it could be done as a database.

Paul and Muttley

Old September 18th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
:

I'm not going to do the research for you, and the criteria you use
will depend on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

It should be easy peasy for you to whip them up a little something in
JavaScript. HTH WTF BBQ and God bless!

--
Shelly
Old September 18th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bekki

On Sep 18, 2:25 pm, "Spamfree!" wrote:
[...]

A quick web search would give you basic size and breed information on
these dogs. You have many dogs misplaced in this list if you are
looking at overall size of the breed. If you are interested in your
own version of how big dog breeds are comparatively you should look
them up yourself and decide where you want them placed. Your brand of
'common sense' order is not common to me at all.

However, in the name of helping out - The American Pitbull Terrier is
ever so slightly smaller than or the same as (the breed has a wide
acceptable size range) the American Staffordshire Terrier. The Samoyed
is slightly smaller than the Siberian Husky, which is slightly smaller
than the Alaskan Malamute, which is slightly smaller than the Akita.
By slightly, I mean an inch or two in height on average. The
Australian Cattle Dog is approximately the size of the Samoyed. The
Catahoula Leopard Dog is about the size of the Akita. The American
Eskimo Dog, as someone already said, is smaller than all the ones I
mention here.

Old September 18th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"Shelly" wrote in message
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
:

I'm not going to do the research for you, and the criteria you use
will depend on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

It should be easy peasy for you to whip them up a little something in
JavaScript. HTH WTF BBQ and God bless!

Sure, I could do that. And I like your "initialisms" for "Hope This Helps",
"Wonderful True Friend", and "Beloved Beautiful Qualities". And, although I
didn't sneeze, your final words are appreciated, so Gesundheit to you as
well!

Paul and Muttley (and a hole in my heart where Lucky once was)

Old September 18th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in news:46f055dc$0$22196
:

"Wonderful True Friend"

That's "Waving to Friends," you dodo.

--