Dog dilemma update...

Old September 22nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

Default Dog dilemma update...

So Oliver is a DARLING with a lovely temperment who'd get along beautifully
with Tok and Ben.

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the original buyers.

I expected an adoption fee, but not the same price I paid for my two lovely
show quality puppies?

Am I right to be flabbergasted? Maybe other breeders do this and I don't
know? It offended me as a dog person - shouldn't she be worrying about
finding the right home for the dog instead of getting more money for him?

Please advise!!!

Old September 22nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

So Oliver is a DARLING with a lovely temperment who'd get along
beautifully with Tok and Ben.

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the original
buyers.

I expected an adoption fee, but not the same price I paid for my two
lovely show quality puppies?

Am I right to be flabbergasted? Maybe other breeders do this and I don't
know? It offended me as a dog person - shouldn't she be worrying about
finding the right home for the dog instead of getting more money for
him?

Please advise!!!

Did she buy him back? a lot of responsible breeders "DO"
If this is the case, he's not damaged goods and has retained his value.
minus crate time when you could have been training him, or the clueless
owners DIDN'T train him or potentially create problems

IF she did NOT purchase him back.. I would be highly offended.
Old September 22nd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

She told me that they paid $700 for him. She did NOT say she bought him
BACK. Maybe she did.

he IS damaged goods. He's a little weird and a little needy with the other
dogs - there has been NO training done. He doesn't know how to come, sit or
anything. He's limping which she says is a result of being out of shape from
being in the kennel. He's fat.

Old September 22nd 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in
:

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the
original buyers.

So she's essentially getting $1300 for him?!

Am I right to be flabbergasted?

I would be! Did she describe him as a rescue dog, or as a puppy she
was selling? I got the impression he was being presented as a
rescue, so asking you for nearly full price for a 7mo dog is kind of
mind boggling. A $300 adoption fee is one thing, but a $600 purchase
price is something else entirely.

Please advise!!!

I would run away. I know you like him and that he's a good dog and a
good fit, but I would have serious trust issues with a breeder who
pulled that sort of stunt.

--
Shelly
Old September 22nd 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message
So Oliver is a DARLING with a lovely temperment who'd get along

beautifully
with Tok and Ben.

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the original

buyers.

I expected an adoption fee, but not the same price I paid for my two

lovely
show quality puppies?

Am I right to be flabbergasted? Maybe other breeders do this and I don't
know? It offended me as a dog person - shouldn't she be worrying about
finding the right home for the dog instead of getting more money for him?

Please advise!!!

I agree with you Beth. I would have been totally flabbergasted myself. I
thought it was the intention to find a good home for this poor, returned
dog. Not to make a double fee off of it. That's terrible IMO.

td

Old September 22nd 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

IF she did NOT purchase him back.. I would be highly offended.

She told me that they paid $700 for him. She did NOT say she bought him
BACK. Maybe she did.

he IS damaged goods. He's a little weird and a little needy with the
other dogs - there has been NO training done. He doesn't know how to
come, sit or anything. He's limping which she says is a result of being
out of shape from being in the kennel. He's fat.

She's going to have to come down a LOT.

You are a choice home, and she should take that into consideration over
her greed, or decide she's keeping him and no longer make him available.
Old September 22nd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Shelly" wrote in message
"Beth In Alaska" wrote in
:

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the
original buyers.

So she's essentially getting $1300 for him?!

Well, unless as diddy has pointed out, she gave them their money back, yes.

Am I right to be flabbergasted?

I would be! Did she describe him as a rescue dog, or as a puppy she
was selling? I got the impression he was being presented as a
rescue, so asking you for nearly full price for a 7mo dog is kind of
mind boggling. A $300 adoption fee is one thing, but a $600 purchase

She did not present him as a dog she was selling. She presented him as a
returned dog who desperately needed his "forever home".

Please advise!!!

I would run away. I know you like him and that he's a good dog and a
good fit, but I would have serious trust issues with a breeder who
pulled that sort of stunt.

I'm going to email her my thoughts, and try to not be too offensive.

Old September 22nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message:

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the original

buyers.

Does not sound right to me. Has she had to put more money into him, which
would justify the bill? I'm thinking vet check, neuter, training, etc.

It offended me as a dog person - shouldn't she be worrying about
finding the right home for the dog instead of getting more money for him?

Please advise!!!

Jeez, this is tough. Is she someone that you would've bought a puppy from?
Unless she has a rational explanation for her charge, I'm not sure I'd take
him. Such a shame, really. He sounds like he could use a good, stable
home.

Suja

Old September 22nd 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message
So Oliver is a DARLING with a lovely temperment who'd get along
beautifully with Tok and Ben.

But she wants $600 for him, She already got $700 from the original
buyers.

I expected an adoption fee, but not the same price I paid for my two
lovely show quality puppies?

Am I right to be flabbergasted? Maybe other breeders do this and I don't
know? It offended me as a dog person - shouldn't she be worrying about
finding the right home for the dog instead of getting more money for him?

Please advise!!!

Did she give the original owners back their money? That may be why she is
asking for some bux. Also, did she do the neuter or any other medical type
stuff?
I just asked my best buddy who has been in corgis for ages. She said she
would want to have known the breeder for a loong time. She also says that
she knows how much money good breeders put into their dogs, so it doesn't
surprise her that the breeder would ask for the money.

Old September 22nd 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in
:

She did not present him as a dog she was selling. She presented
him as a returned dog who desperately needed his "forever home".

That does not sound at all like "Dog for Sale." I think you
definitely should be concerned.

I'm going to email her my thoughts, and try to not be too
offensive.

Fingers crossed!

--
Shelly

the one-dog two-dog dilemma Beth In Alaska Dog behavior 320 September 22nd 07 07:23 PM
Dilemma Suja Dog behavior 196 October 17th 04 04:55 PM
Dilemma Suja Dog behavior 0 October 13th 04 02:51 PM
Dilemma Suja Dog behavior 0 October 13th 04 02:51 PM
dilemma care Dog breeds 3 September 16th 04 11:04 PM