2 questions about ear mites.

Old September 24th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Default 2 questions about ear mites.

I have 2 questions about ear mites.

1. Why is it that only one of my dogs seems to be affected by ear
mites?

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon only.
None of the other animals are affected visibly.

2. What can I do to minimize ear mites?

As they are normally contracted through physical contact with a host, I
wondered whether or not an antibacterial cleanse of the animals' normal
hangouts and sleeping areas might help.

Thanks.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Response from "-Lost" :

I have 2 questions about ear mites.

1. Why is it that only one of my dogs seems to be affected by ear
mites?

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon
only. None of the other animals are affected visibly.

2. What can I do to minimize ear mites?

As they are normally contracted through physical contact with a
host, I wondered whether or not an antibacterial cleanse of the
animals' normal hangouts and sleeping areas might help.

Oops! Forgot to mention that my friend at the local animal hospital
said that Demon might have allergic reactions to the mites that is
why it is more noticeable.

This does not account for the fact that the other animals do not have
ear mites PERIOD.

Also, my friend said that mites are not like fleas and cleaning up
would have no effect.

I figured I would ask the experts here as well though.

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"-Lost" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I have 2 questions about ear mites.

1. Why is it that only one of my dogs seems to be affected by ear
mites?

some dogs have immunity issues

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon only.
None of the other animals are affected visibly.

Mites are naturally occuring on your body. A dog that has ear mites also
has them all over. But moistness and shelter of the ears makes a good
breeding zone for them. With the new heartworm products, mites have
largely dissappeared in the general dog population

It's time to see your vet and find out why your dog has such a depressed
immune system

Old September 24th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"-Lost" wrote in message

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon only.
None of the other animals are affected visibly.

.............does that mean you've actually had the other animals' ears
checked also?

2. What can I do to minimize ear mites?

........you need to treat the tail also and the sleeping areas. Your dog is
probably being reinfected each time. Have you tried Tresaderm? What have
they been using to treat them? If it truly is just one dog, there's some
reason he's more susceptible. You'll usually find pest gravitating to the
weakest host.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 24th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Response from diddy none:

"-Lost" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

I have 2 questions about ear mites.

1. Why is it that only one of my dogs seems to be affected by
ear mites?

some dogs have immunity issues

Oh, OK. It did not occur to me that immunity would play into it.

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon
only. None of the other animals are affected visibly.

Mites are naturally occuring on your body. A dog that has ear
mites also has them all over. But moistness and shelter of the
ears makes a good breeding zone for them. With the new heartworm
products, mites have largely dissappeared in the general dog
population

It's time to see your vet and find out why your dog has such a
depressed immune system

Gotcha! We are slated for a visit at payday so I will ask
specifically about this.

Thank you.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Response from elegy :

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:59:29 -0500, "-Lost"
wrote:

I have 2 questions about ear mites.

1. Why is it that only one of my dogs seems to be affected by ear
mites?

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon
only. None of the other animals are affected visibly.

2. What can I do to minimize ear mites?

As they are normally contracted through physical contact with a
host, I wondered whether or not an antibacterial cleanse of the
animals' normal hangouts and sleeping areas might help.

and you're sure they're ear mites as opposed to other types of ear
problems?

ear mites are not very common in dogs.

Right, I saw that just yesterday in fact.

Well, based on some of the things I have read, 1 visit to the animal
hospital, and at least 2 times that I can remember my friend giving a
quick look outside of the hospital it (somewhat) confirms it. I say
somewhat because I am no expert and would hate to make an assumption
that endangers my friend (animal).

For the most part it has been mite poo. TONS of it. Head shaking
with obvious discomfort in the ears as well. The first time the
animal hospital did a swab and confirmed that the ear drum was intact
and it that it was in fact insert some complicated name for mites.

Which the doctor then said in layman's terms that it was ear mites
that could be treated OTC (over the counter) if we were strapped for
cash.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Response from "buglady" :

"-Lost" wrote in message

Every time I have had to treat this problem it has been Demon
only. None of the other animals are affected visibly.

............does that mean you've actually had the other animals'
ears checked also?

Yes. So far only the new kitten has not been checked, although based
on what little I know it appears she may have a small infestation
which will be taken care of on payday assuming I can afford
everybody's primary vaccinations.

2. What can I do to minimize ear mites?

.......you need to treat the tail also and the sleeping areas.
Your dog is probably being reinfected each time. Have you tried
Tresaderm? What have they been using to treat them? If it truly
is just one dog, there's some reason he's more susceptible.
You'll usually find pest gravitating to the weakest host.

Having an extremely low budget (low income is more like it), our
doctor recommended certain over the counters medications. So far we
have been using Hartz ear mite medicine for dogs.

No I have not (tried Tresaderm), but I just read about it yesterday
in fact and thought about posting here about it. My question was
going to be is it OTC (over the counter) medication or prescribed?

From the description of the product he
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_mites.html

....I assumed it is prescribed? (I am actually waiting on a callback
from the hospital about how I can get it.)

diddy also mentioned the lowered immunity issue as well, I will
definitely be inquiring about this on the next visit to the animal
hospital.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message

[...]

From the description of the product he
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_mites.html

...I assumed it is prescribed? (I am actually waiting on a callback
from the hospital about how I can get it.)

diddy also mentioned the lowered immunity issue as well, I will
definitely be inquiring about this on the next visit to the animal
hospital.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you have ear mites, it needs a whole body treatment. The mites may be
breeding in the moist protective environment of the ear, but they are
living on the body. Using ivermectin regularly heartworm prevention has
almost eliminated ear mites from the dog population. Outdoor cats can
certainly be an issue of re-infestation.

My horses and dogs all used to have ear might issues until the barn cats
were exterminated. About the same time, I started using ivermectin on both
dogs and horses.
Old September 24th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Response from diddy none:

If you have ear mites, it needs a whole body treatment. The mites
may be breeding in the moist protective environment of the ear,
but they are living on the body. Using ivermectin regularly
heartworm prevention has almost eliminated ear mites from the dog
population. Outdoor cats can certainly be an issue of
re-infestation.

That is what I thought too (about re-infestation from the new kitty).

I also read about heartworm medication solving mites. Is that any
good heartworm medication?

Also, they only give out heart medication if your dog has those
issues, right?

I ask because one of the (seemingly) knowledgeable guys at Feeder's
Supply said that only vets give it out because it can hurt a dog if
the dog does not have heartworms.

My horses and dogs all used to have ear might issues until the
barn cats were exterminated. About the same time, I started using
ivermectin on both dogs and horses.

2 quick questions.

1. Where can I get "ivermectin" and is it available over the
counter?

2. Um... you had the barn cats killed? Or did you mean removed from
the house? And were they stray barn cats or cats you owned? (Just
being nosy I guess, I do not pass judgment.)

And sorry, I guess that was more than 2 questions really. Heh.

As always, I appreciate your help and information.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"-Lost" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I also read about heartworm medication solving mites. Is that any
good heartworm medication?

Also, they only give out heart medication if your dog has those
issues, right?

Nope, you give heartworm medication to PREVENT problems.

And as a side effect, some heartworm products given monthly also handle
worms and other parasites, depending on the product you use, and you and
your vet decide are the best choices for your dog.

Before starting, your vet will give your dogs a heartworm test to insure
they are heartworm free.

If they do have heartworms, your vet will not prescribe a preventative,
and your troubles are a whole lot deeper than just ear mites.

1. Where can I get "ivermectin" and is it available over the
counter?

See your vet

2. Um... you had the barn cats killed? Or did you mean removed from
the house? And were they stray barn cats or cats you owned? (Just
being nosy I guess, I do not pass judgment.)

I do not like cats.. judge away.

And since proper care of a pet IS expensive, I have a question. Why
collect more animals than you can afford to take care of properly? not
judging.. just curious

labrador ear mites [email protected] Dog health 0 May 3rd 06 09:07 AM
Thornit Powder for ear mites smiler Dog health 17 July 18th 05 03:34 PM
Not suspected ear mites but yeast infection shelly Dog health 13 August 7th 03 07:44 AM
Ear Mites JakesMom1014 Dog health 4 July 31st 03 07:13 AM
Ear Mites JakesMom1014 Dog health 0 July 30th 03 05:06 PM