name that breed

Old September 24th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

Default name that breed

as a puppy:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../family026.jpg
As an adult:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mer2007017.jpg

Old September 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"BethInAK" wrote in message
as a puppy:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../family026.jpg
As an adult:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mer2007017.jpg

Okay - there's got to be some beagle. That's a beagle head and white tip on
the tail. The speckling can also be beagle, as well as the coloration -
although that's not exactly classic patterning.

The coat looks a little shaggy - longer and perhaps coarser than beagle or
another hound. Around here I'd figure lab or GSD (although it's been a long
time since I've seen a GSD in a pet home around here) or BC.

Do they know what the mix is?

Judy

Old September 24th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Judy" wrote in message
"BethInAK" wrote in message
as a puppy:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../family026.jpg
As an adult:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mer2007017.jpg

Okay - there's got to be some beagle. That's a beagle head and white tip
on the tail. The speckling can also be beagle, as well as the
coloration - although that's not exactly classic patterning.

The coat looks a little shaggy - longer and perhaps coarser than beagle or
another hound. Around here I'd figure lab or GSD (although it's been a
long time since I've seen a GSD in a pet home around here) or BC.

Do they know what the mix is?

Judy

no. they assumed beagle when he was tiny but now??? who knows. Smooth
collie?

Old September 24th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"BethInAK" wrote in message
no. they assumed beagle when he was tiny but now??? who knows. Smooth
collie?

The puppy picture showed him to be a little rangy and rough coated for a
pure bred beagle. Could have been really, really badly bred but I would
have guessed even then that there was something bigger - and not houndy -
mixed in.

From what I've seen of mixes - and there are certainly a lot of beagle mixes
to see - that beagle coloration is fairly dominant. (I'm no geneticist, nor
do I play one on the interweb.)

Is smooth collie as strong possibility around there? The only ones I see
here are in homes where there is little chance they will participate in an
opportunistic mating with a beagle.

I'd say 50% beagle - probably not a well-bred, to-the-standard one - and the
other 50% could be whatever you have the most of that would be likely.
Around here, smooth collie would be thinking Zebra.

Judy

Old September 24th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Judy" wrote in message
"BethInAK" wrote in message
no. they assumed beagle when he was tiny but now??? who knows. Smooth
collie?

The puppy picture showed him to be a little rangy and rough coated for a
pure bred beagle. Could have been really, really badly bred but I would
have guessed even then that there was something bigger - and not houndy -
mixed in.

From what I've seen of mixes - and there are certainly a lot of beagle
mixes to see - that beagle coloration is fairly dominant. (I'm no
geneticist, nor do I play one on the interweb.)

Is smooth collie as strong possibility around there? The only ones I see
here are in homes where there is little chance they will participate in an
opportunistic mating with a beagle.

I'd say 50% beagle - probably not a well-bred, to-the-standard one - and
the other 50% could be whatever you have the most of that would be likely.
Around here, smooth collie would be thinking Zebra.

You are probably right - collies are not the popular dogs they once were,
and smoothies were never popular like that.

Beagle and something big - the dog is tall!

Old September 24th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I'd say 50% beagle - probably not a well-bred, to-the-standard one - and the
other 50% could be whatever you have the most of that would be likely.
Around here, smooth collie would be thinking Zebra.

I'd be curious to know of a place where they wouldn't.

Anyway, my gut reaction was beagle/Aussie. Probably because
of the ticking (that's really stupid, Shore) and the shape
of the head.

Old September 24th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Anyway, my gut reaction was beagle/Aussie. Probably because
of the ticking (that's really stupid, Shore) and the shape
of the head.

And I credit both of those things to the beagle. Most of the beagles I had
had ticking - so I think of that as beagle stuff. And the head shape - even
now as an adult - is badly bred beagle.

But I wouldn't argue with the Aussie thought. I thought BC but you're
probably closer with the Aussie.

Judy

Old September 24th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
And I credit both of those things to the beagle. Most of the beagles I had
had ticking - so I think of that as beagle stuff. And the head shape - even
now as an adult - is badly bred beagle.

I've never seen a beagle with a muzzle like that, but you've
got a lot more experience with them than I do.

BTW, I'm registered for that seminar, and I'm looking
forward to it quite a bit. It'll be a nice complement to
the ADMA Symposium I'm going to the following weekend, where
there's a lot of talk about orthopedic stuff (and nutrional
stuff, and kennel management stuff, and ... )
http://www.sleddog.org/symposium/2007/schedule.html

Old September 24th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I've never seen a beagle with a muzzle like that, but you've
got a lot more experience with them than I do.

The nose is a little pointed but the freckling is typical. It's far from a
great beagle head.

BTW, I'm registered for that seminar, and I'm looking
forward to it quite a bit.

Cool. Unless one or both mothers decide to self-destruct that weekend, I'm
definitely going. We have an appointment the week before that with both
that PT and another orthopedic vet from Colonial. By the time that
appointment and the seminar are over, I should know WAY more than I ever
thought I'd need to about canine orthopedics.

(Funny if we only live an hour apart, we have to drive an hour in another
direction to actually meet!)

Judy

Old September 24th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Cool. Unless one or both mothers decide to self-destruct that weekend, I'm
definitely going. We have an appointment the week before that with both
that PT and another orthopedic vet from Colonial. By the time that
appointment and the seminar are over, I should know WAY more than I ever
thought I'd need to about canine orthopedics.

How's she doing?

(Funny if we only live an hour apart, we have to drive an hour in another
direction to actually meet!)

I've got a friend in Ithaca I've known for decades who works
for the same company, and the only time I see him is at
meetings out-of-state or out of the country. Between the
job and the dogs and This Crappy Old House I don't get that
much free time.

Are you going up to the Wine Country show this weekend?