dog cars

Old September 25th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default dog cars

I stand corrected on getting cars to accommodate dogs.

However, WHEN it comes time that someone is going to acquire a car (or a
dog!), wouldn't it be nice if they considered the limitations of such?

I transport a lot of dogs that are not my own. Some are stinky, so are
really hairy and many are grossly overweight. Having a rubber tray and
crates in the cargo area makes this a lot more appealing. I am thinking
of getting a barrier even though I use crates for my own dogs. Many of
the dogs I transport won't fit into my crates (or I'd never get them out
again!) and I really want to contain any canine passengers to the cargo
area.

I have 2 ramps - one is plastic and has raised slat-type things to
provide traction. The other is carpeted. Both slide or fold for
travel. Before I had one, I used a small rectangular folding table with
a bath mat on it. I rarely have had to use one.

I also have a nice sling. A bit better than a bath towel, as it has
actual handles and is slightly padded. It can help provide an extra
place to boost a dog, especially one with sutures or such.

I am trying to picture a ramp fitting securely on the back seat (or even
back floor) of a sedan, and it's just not working for me. I would think
a front leg and then back leg boost would be more efficient.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 25th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

However, WHEN it comes time that someone is going to acquire a car (or a
dog!), wouldn't it be nice if they considered the limitations of such?

Well, sure, if they have the resources to do so. I did when I got
my current car. The car before that, though, was not *any* kind of
dogmobile.

I am trying to picture a ramp fitting securely on the back seat (or even
back floor) of a sedan, and it's just not working for me.

I don't know how it works, either. Making a huge assumption here,
but the OP's dog may be afraid of the ramp because it feels unstable
(which it would, if it were resting on a car seat).

I would think
a front leg and then back leg boost would be more efficient.

It may be painful for the dog. Also, I found that with a dead
weight dog, getting the front half onto the seat was easy. Getting
the back half up while scooching the front half over was the hard
part, especially as my car was a two-door, so the back seat was hard
to access. In order to shift the dog, I had to be between the
folded up front seat and the door jamb, which meant space to squeeze
the dog through was severely limited.

--
Shelly
Old September 25th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
However, WHEN it comes time that someone is going to acquire a car (or a
dog!), wouldn't it be nice if they considered the limitations of such?

Sure. I think people typically do.

On the dog ramp front, I found that the "standard" dog ramp
is too short for the Land Crusher. That is to say, that
it's too steep for a dog with limited mobility, regardless
of whether the ramp leads to the cargo area or even the
floor of the back seat. So, while it's otherwise a great
dog vehicle the ramp thing remains not-an-option.

Old September 25th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Well, sure, if they have the resources to do so. I did when I got
my current car. The car before that, though, was not *any* kind of
dogmobile.

Right. But when it was time to get a new car, you considered dog space.
That's all I'm sayin'! And if you DON'T have a dog yet, but have a car
with limited dog space, the size/condition/likely condition of the DOG
should be a factor in choosing. That isn't resources, it's forward
planning!

It may be painful for the dog. Also, I found that with a dead
weight dog, getting the front half onto the seat was easy. Getting
the back half up while scooching the front half over was the hard
part,

A place where something slidey would be helpful. A blanket on top of
leather seats, or something slippery on top of cloth seats.

especially as my car was a two-door, so the back seat was hard
to access. In order to shift the dog, I had to be between the
folded up front seat and the door jamb, which meant space to squeeze
the dog through was severely limited.

I understand. One of our cars is a 2-door and getting to the back seat
with a dead weight dog would be tough. OTOH, I could put the top down
and have a lot more maneuvering space, so that would be a big help! I
wouldn't have a 2-door car unless it's a convertible anyway, although
have in the past (but that one was a hatchback, so there was dog space).

When we were a one-car family, it was a hatchback and then a 4-door
sedan. Once we had 2 cars, one was the dog car, the other was not,
although possible if needed. Needless to say, *I* drive the dog car!

--
Janet Boss
Old September 25th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

Right. But when it was time to get a new car, you considered dog space.
That's all I'm sayin'!

I had the resources to do so. Other times in my life, any car was
better than no car, so dogmobile suitability was irrelevant. That's
all *I'm* sayin.

And if you DON'T have a dog yet, but have a car
with limited dog space, the size/condition/likely condition of the DOG
should be a factor in choosing. That isn't resources, it's forward
planning!

Life is messy, and sometimes it's impossible to plan. It may also
be that lack of experience makes planning difficult.

A place where something slidey would be helpful. A blanket on top of
leather seats, or something slippery on top of cloth seats.

This was an emergency, and stopping to problem solve was not an
option. Brute strength got it sorted out, but it was awkward and
difficult and it made me think that some folks--like Greens--might
have difficulty hoisting dogs in and out of their cars.

wouldn't have a 2-door car unless it's a convertible anyway, although
have in the past (but that one was a hatchback, so there was dog space).

I wouldn't own a convertible, period, but I *did* consider putting
the seats down and popping him through the hatch. But, again, that
would have taken too much time. No way would I ever want to own a
car that didn't have some sort of rear hatch, though. I don't know
how sedan owners manage.

--
Shelly
Old September 25th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

This was an emergency, and stopping to problem solve was not an
option. Brute strength got it sorted out, but it was awkward and
difficult and it made me think that some folks--like Greens--might
have difficulty hoisting dogs in and out of their cars.

Right. But his situation is not an emergency and he has problem solved
(or attempted to) enough to get a ramp, so........

As someone else (Melinda?) said - it's some basic physics knowledge to
figure out how to accomplish the goal.

wouldn't have a 2-door car unless it's a convertible anyway, although
have in the past (but that one was a hatchback, so there was dog space).

I wouldn't own a convertible, period, but I *did* consider putting
the seats down and popping him through the hatch. But, again, that
would have taken too much time. No way would I ever want to own a
car that didn't have some sort of rear hatch, though. I don't know
how sedan owners manage.

Sedans are tough! I *think* the only part of the Volvo convertible back
seat that folds down is the armrest (sedan had the same thing - a hole
for skis, although we used to carry lumber, pipes, etc!).

Franklin hated to have to go in the convertible. He liked riding in a
crate, since it was all he ever knew, and he was a dog who didn't like
it when things weren't "right". I got one of those flimsy pop-up crates
at Target, so he had the feel of a crate without me trying to figure out
how a "real" crate could possibly fit on that back seat! Mostly though,
we didn't have to even think about using that car.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 25th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

As someone else (Melinda?) said - it's some basic physics knowledge to
figure out how to accomplish the goal.

Yep. On the other hand, I think he should be given credit for at
least trying to solve the problem.

Sedans are tough! I *think* the only part of the Volvo convertible back
seat that folds down is the armrest (sedan had the same thing - a hole
for skis, although we used to carry lumber, pipes, etc!).

Clever, but not so useful for dog wrangling and/or containment!

Franklin hated to have to go in the convertible. He liked riding in a
crate, since it was all he ever knew, and he was a dog who didn't like
it when things weren't "right".

I've never crated in the car. That would add another level of
complication, especially in a sedan.

--
Shelly
Old September 25th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

I've never crated in the car. That would add another level of
complication, especially in a sedan.

Yes, sedans are not very good for crates. OTOH, crates are very good
for keeping another barrier of dirt and hair (and mud and water and
sometimes even vomit) out of the car! We have several layers of cover
and the hair STILL winds up embedded in the carpet! ARGHHHH. Leather
seats do mean that passengers get out with fewer coat coverings though.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 25th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

Yes, sedans are not very good for crates. OTOH, crates are very good
for keeping another barrier of dirt and hair (and mud and water and
sometimes even vomit) out of the car!

As *if*!

We have several layers of cover
and the hair STILL winds up embedded in the carpet! ARGHHHH.

With a Boxer, that happens no matter what. There just aren't enough
precautions in the world to keep those hairs from weaving into the
upholstery.

Leather
seats do mean that passengers get out with fewer coat coverings though.

But 3rd degree burns in the summer. I turned down a couple of cars
because they had leather seats.

--
Shelly
Old September 25th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

But 3rd degree burns in the summer. I turned down a couple of cars
because they had leather seats.

My seats are either off or heated, but I think Toyota (maybe someone
else) makes COOLING seats. Those would be VERY cool!

For some reason maybe because I'm in and out of my car so much, rather
than leaving it parked all day, my seats aren't too bad. DH's are a
darker color though, and OUCH. Especially if the conv. top has been
left down.

--
Janet Boss

Dog chasing cars Dahlia Dog behavior 12 May 13th 04 02:51 PM
Dog chasing cars Dahlia Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 03:22 AM
Dog chasing cars Dahlia Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 03:22 AM
Dogs in cars Chloe's Mom Dog behavior 15 September 5th 03 01:55 PM
Chilly dog for hot cars Tricia9999 Dog behavior 0 August 9th 03 10:55 PM