STRONG smelling urine (recent problem)

Old September 26th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jason[_3_]

Default STRONG smelling urine (recent problem)

I have a chihuahua/fiest mix. She's 10 years old and active, and
roughly 10lbs. She hasn't had any recent medical problems, although
last year she developed a uterine infection and we had to rush her to
an emergency "hysterectomy" type surgery.

(Before anyone asks, we didn't have her spayed as a pup because
several of her litter-mates died during the anesthesia, and we didn't
want to risk it)

Because of issues regarding apartments and rentals, she has always
been trained to pee on a training mat. This has always worked out
well... until now.

For about a month, her urine has developed an incredibly STRONG odor!
To the point that it really stinks up the whole house, even after she
has only used it once. It has never been this strong before, so this
is a brand new problem for us.

Nothing has changed that I can think of; same brand of food (Pedigree,
the kind with a hard outside and chewy inside), well water, Milkbone
dog biscuit treats with the occassional rib treat (I forget the brand
at the moment). And the only medication that she takes is monthly
heartworm medicine.

Is this strong smelling urine indicative of a problem that I should
know about? At her age, I worry a lot (probably more than is
necessary), but would really rather catch a problem early rather than
find out when it's too late!

TIA,

Jason

Old September 26th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
Jason wrote:

Is this strong smelling urine indicative of a problem that I should
know about? At her age, I worry a lot (probably more than is
necessary), but would really rather catch a problem early rather than
find out when it's too late!

Have you not asked your vet?

--
Janet Boss
Old September 26th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Jason wrote:

Is this strong smelling urine indicative of a problem that I should
know about? At her age, I worry a lot (probably more than is
necessary), but would really rather catch a problem early rather than
find out when it's too late!

I'd suggest you collect a urine sample first thing in the morning
and take it and her to your vet. (It's not hard to catch - just
slide a small shallow dish or measuring scoop under her as she
pees. Not exactly dignified, but it works.)

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old September 26th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jason[_3_]

On Sep 26, 7:05 am, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article . com,

Jason wrote:

Is this strong smelling urine indicative of a problem that I should
know about? At her age, I worry a lot (probably more than is
necessary), but would really rather catch a problem early rather than
find out when it's too late!

Have you not asked your vet?

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Unfortunately, Delusional is correct in that I do not trust my local
vet. At least, I think they're correct; their posts are excessively
difficult to read. I'm surprised that (s)he remembers this, but my vet
diagnosed my dog with ehrlichiosis, which is incredibly rare in my
state, when she turned out to have a common uterine infection. I spent
thousands of dollars in treating a disease that she didn't have (and
couldn't have), and almost lost her, so I no longer have faith in him.

So, I try to refer to public knowledge as much as possible, and only
confer with the vet when I know exactly what I need for him to do.

- Jason

Old September 26th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article .com,
Jason wrote:

Unfortunately, Delusional is correct in that I do not trust my local
vet. my vet
diagnosed my dog with ehrlichiosis, which is incredibly rare in my
state, when she turned out to have a common uterine infection. I spent
thousands of dollars in treating a disease that she didn't have (and
couldn't have), and almost lost her, so I no longer have faith in him.

So, I try to refer to public knowledge as much as possible, and only
confer with the vet when I know exactly what I need for him to do.

You only have one vet in town? Drive further. Your dog needs a vet.
You need a vet you trust. Start calling.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 27th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jason[_3_]

You only have one vet in town? Drive further. Your dog needs a vet.
You need a vet you trust. Start calling.

Pretty much, yeah. I live in a rural town in Western NC, and my
current vet is more than a 30 minute drive. The next closest vet is
about 1 hour and 15 minutes away, depending on traffic and the time of
day. So, I have an obvious dilemma:

(a) keep a vet that I don't trust, but is somewhat close in case of an
emergency; or

(b) give a vet a chance that's potentially better, but not within a
reasonable driving distance if there's an emergency.

Old September 27th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Jason wrote:
day. So, I have an obvious dilemma:

(a) keep a vet that I don't trust, but is somewhat close in case of an
emergency; or

(b) give a vet a chance that's potentially better, but not within a
reasonable driving distance if there's an emergency.

Um, there is a (c) give the vet that is potentially better a chance to
see if you can trust him/her, and if you do, develop a relationship with
that vet, and then if you have a true emergency that driving an
hour-plus is too far to go, consult with the vet you trust but go to the
closer vet if you have to.

I have been there, done that with my own doctors. No fun. But please
try the other vet.

You *do* need a vet you can trust. The other vet will not charge you
more if you don't go there regularly but do go there in an emergency.
And waiting for internet advice can be a really bad idea if you have a
real emergency.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.