Ping Handsome Jack

Old September 30th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

Default Ping Handsome Jack

Wasn't it you who said you had CBR's? I was outside yesterday, supervising
some yard planting, when that big CBR living across the street from us came
to visit again. Drake, he's such a big ole' baby. I'm wondering if all
CBR's have such docile personalities? He's a big ole' love bug, wanting to
be petted and told what a good boy he is. When I try to stop lovin' on him,
he starts to whimper and moan and attempts to jump up on me to encourage me
to continue with the lovin' some more. I swear his large broad head still
reminds me of Cujo, but he has the most sweetest personality. He got a
close clipping for the summer months, but his fur is now beginning to grow
back in curls once again.

td

Old September 30th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:26:08 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

Wasn't it you who said you had CBR's?

Yes.

I was outside yesterday, supervising
some yard planting, when that big CBR living across the street from us came
to visit again. Drake, he's such a big ole' baby. I'm wondering if all
CBR's have such docile personalities?

In a word, no. No, no, no, no, a thousand times no.

The words docile and CBR are rarely found in the same sentence.

He's a big ole' love bug, wanting to
be petted and told what a good boy he is. When I try to stop lovin' on him,
he starts to whimper and moan and attempts to jump up on me to encourage me
to continue with the lovin' some more. I swear his large broad head still
reminds me of Cujo, but he has the most sweetest personality.

They do, but usually only to members of the family, familiar friends,
etc.

Strangers?

Not so much.

He also might not be so friendly on his own territory.

But the dog appears to have been socialized well.

And that's a good thing.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

No Free Speech, Please - This is Columbia
http://www.mindingthecampus.com/foru...e_this_is.html

What Made Chavez Possible?
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=092407A

Pathetic.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...djYzRmNjFhYzE=

"Idiots are now convinced that Dubya doesn’t know Nelson Mandela is still alive"
"What has in fact died, and what a miserable, stinking death it was, is real intellectual rigor on the idiot left."
http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/web...he_television/

"At Ahmadinejad's speech, every vicious anti-Western civilization remark was cheered wildly.
It was like watching an episode of HBO's 'Real Time With Bill Maher.'"
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22596

Columbia’s Squalid Mistake - Academia's Ugly Blindness.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09252007...id_mistake.htm

"Al Qaeda Lost"
http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001519.html

Israel captured nuke materials in Syria!
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl..._in_Syria&only

George Soros: The man behind the "reality-based" community.
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75181103776079

The Soros Threat To Democracy
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75526219598836
Old September 30th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

wrote:

Wasn't it you who said you had CBR's?

Yes.

I was outside yesterday, supervising
some yard planting, when that big CBR living across the street from us

came
to visit again. Drake, he's such a big ole' baby. I'm wondering if all
CBR's have such docile personalities?

In a word, no. No, no, no, no, a thousand times no.

Like I said, he's the first one I've ever really been up close and personal
with, so I wasn't sure if he was a typical example of the breed.

The words docile and CBR are rarely found in the same sentence.

He's a big ole' love bug, wanting to
be petted and told what a good boy he is. When I try to stop lovin' on

him,
he starts to whimper and moan and attempts to jump up on me to encourage

me
to continue with the lovin' some more. I swear his large broad head

still
reminds me of Cujo, but he has the most sweetest personality.

They do, but usually only to members of the family, familiar friends,
etc.

Strangers?

Not so much.

He also might not be so friendly on his own territory.

The first time I *met* him was sort of on his property, in the driveway
anyway. I asked the owners 'if he was *friendly* and they said yes, so I
went ahead with petting him. That time I had my own two onleash with me.
Most dogs tend to like me. In all the years I've been around dogs, catching
strays, tending to wounded dogs, etc., knock on wood, I've never been
bitten. Not anything that has broken the skin. A few accidental *grabs*,
but once they felt skin, they've released.

But the dog appears to have been socialized well.

And that's a good thing.

I agree, with what you've said he must have been well socialized because he
roams the neighborhood. He is never tied up and the people don't have a
fenced yard. So he has pretty much free reign. The female owner said 'she
likes him out there checking out the lane we live on, because there are lots
of construction workers around, working on the last couple houses still
being built here. And they don't attempt to get anywhere near Drake.

When my youngest daughter moved down around N.C. State Univ., while she was
in school, there was a big Rottweiler that roamed the neighborhood there.
That dog ended up being her Whiskey's momma. Anyway, from the day my
daughter moved in to her back-basement flat, Cervesa, the rottie, became her
constant companion. She would be outside my daughters door when she left
for school in the morning, and there waiting for her when she returned in
the afternoon. After awhile my daughter began taking her inside her flat
with her. And one night, middle of the night, daughter told me she was
suddenly awoken by Cervesa barking wildly outside her window. The neighbor
guy told her there had been a prowler during the night, that he'd gone
outside to check when he heard Cervesa barking. So at first although I
worried about daughter living down around the campus, once I knew Cervesa
was around to protect her, I seldom worried about her anymore. It was like
the moment she moved in, Cervesa became her protector.

Cervesa belonged to some guys that lived in a frat house behind her, but she
always seemed to live more at my daughters place. Daughter got dog food to
feed her, took her inside with her while she studied. The only time she
wasn't there was when Robin would send her home at night. The frat guys
owned her, wanted her, or I think Robin would have kept her. She did get
one of the pups though, Whiskey, when Cervesa had pups. I've got photo's my
daughter took of both dogs together in her flat. Once the pup was big
enough to wander, they'd both come over to stay at daughters. All the other
pups were given away, Whiskey was the last one to go, and that's when my
daughter asked the guys if she could have her.

It's amazing to me how dogs seem to sense places/people where they are
welcome, and reciprocate with their love and protection, 'eh?

td

Old September 30th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:13:38 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]
In a word, no. No, no, no, no, a thousand times no.

Like I said, he's the first one I've ever really been up close and personal
with, so I wasn't sure if he was a typical example of the breed.

Nope, not so typical.

[...]
He also might not be so friendly on his own territory.

The first time I *met* him was sort of on his property, in the driveway
anyway. I asked the owners 'if he was *friendly* and they said yes, so I
went ahead with petting him.

It was helpful that the owners were there.

But the dog appears to have been socialized well.

And that's a good thing.

I agree, with what you've said he must have been well socialized because he
roams the neighborhood. He is never tied up and the people don't have a
fenced yard. So he has pretty much free reign. The female owner said 'she
likes him out there checking out the lane we live on, because there are lots
of construction workers around, working on the last couple houses still
being built here. And they don't attempt to get anywhere near Drake.

I'm saddened to hear that.

That sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.

sigh

Old October 1st 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:13:38 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]
[...]

Well normally I'd agree with you, but the lane we live on only has 14 homes
total, most separated by bits of woods/wild areas. I'd guess it's
approximately a mile long and a dead end into woods. So the only traffic
down this street is basically those who live here. We're kind of off the
beat and path so to speak, access to our road off a farmers gravel road.
When we've had deliveries or workers coming, I've had to give fairly
specific directions to find us and sometimes still, they'd call while in
route for more directions. So what I'm saying is, I can't see Drake getting
hit by a car, since those who live here mostly have children also. I've not
seen any *fast* traffic coming down this road. Everybody drives slowly in
anticipation of kids playing. The last home is nearly completed now, for
sale sign up, just a few finishing details going on. Drake's family has two
little boys, 4 & 8, and he's usually following behind one or both of the
boys. Sometimes he is wandering up or down the road alone, popping in to
*visit* a neighbor along the way. He seems to know his boundaries, I've
never seen him off our road, other than perhaps in the woods. We are
surrounded by woods, and the other side of the woods is farmland. There
really is little to no traffic out here. I'm perfectly comfortable taking
my three grandsons walking, riding on their little trike-type vehicles in
the road. On the few occasions when any vehicles have come down the road,
we've had plenty of time to get off to one side, and the vehicles are
neighbors who slow down to a crawl when they see any kids near the road.
Before I hurt my back, I took my dogs walking at least four times a day and
never come across any traffic that disturbed me. Back then, even the
construction workers vehicles drove slowly, allowing us plenty of time and
space. I took my four year old grandson over to watch the well-digger dig
the well on the last house being built. Everybody out here, be they
property owners or workers are really friendly as a whole. Doesn't mean I
would trust every single one of those workers *individually*, but as a
whole, we appear to have moved into a very friendly, everybody knows
everybody else type area. The nearest town is about 5 miles and it's a town
of under 5,000 people. I'd consider it quite a rural area.

Do you still think it's such a bad idea? I'm curious as to your
impressions. I think I could allow Gracie off leash out here, but not
Merlin. At least not yet anyway. Not that I'm considering it for Gracie
either. It's just that she is much better behaved when I comes to
responding to my commands than Merlin is.

td

Old October 1st 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"tiny dancer" wrote in news:0E7Mi.4605
:

Do you still think it's such a bad idea?

I sure do. And cars are only *one* of the dangers here.

I'm curious as to your
impressions. I think I could allow Gracie off leash out here, but not
Merlin.

This isn't about being off leash.

This is about a roaming dog wandering around unsupervised and making a
lot of decisions about how things should be run in HIS neighborhood.

My folks have dealt with that in their very rural area (sounds somewhat
similar to yours, only more rural, since almost every house on their
street sits on farm acreage)

The only problem dogs on the street were the ones left to roam. One was
a friendly guy that my Mom loved. The rest would poop all over her lawn
(cleaning that off the tractor was oooooh soooo much fun. not), bark at
*her* company, and more than once, threatened her on her own property
while resource guarding *her* belongings.

Its rde and dangerous to let one's dog take over like that. And it gets
the dogs in question *killed* when someone decides to not put up with a
neighbors dog creating a nuisance on their property.

And a note about the dog that my Mom liked a lot: *she* l.oved that one
visitng dog and made great friends with it. So she was incredibly
surprised to find out that there were other neighbors to whom THAT dog
was being the aggressive nuisance. Just goes to show that simply because
*you* aren't aware of a problem with a particular unsupervised dog, that
the dog isn't a nuisance elsewhere.

Tara
Old October 1st 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:41:28 -0400, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]
I'm saddened to hear that.

That sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.

sigh

Well normally I'd agree with you

[...]

Do you still think it's such a bad idea?

Yes, because I wasn't really thinking about the dog being hit by a car
(which is always a possibility, nonetheless), but the dog biting a
stranger. Especially a small child.

That's not good for the dog (considering what usually happens to them
afterwards), nor is it good for the adult or child being bitten.

Really, it's like playing chicken with your dog's life.

I'm curious as to your
impressions. I think I could allow Gracie off leash out here, but not
Merlin.

My own are seldom on a leash, but when they're not, I (or someone
else) is always right there, supervising them.

And they all have rock-solid recalls.

We do not, however, ever allow dogs to run loose in the area. Unless
they're out in the field with us.

And everyone who's ever suffered a tragedy was probably forewarned,
too, but chose to ignore the risks

Because some folks just have to learn things the hard way.

Many folks in the "reality-based" community are like that.

They have to actually be bitten by a snake before they "realize" that
snakes actually bite.

Heh.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison