Bark Collars

Old September 30th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Blothar von Wombat

Default Bark Collars

We have two Standard Poodles; 1 female (3-years old) and 1 male (2-
years old). They both have been through obedience training and we
have had Bark Busters out to try and resolve barking issues. All to
no avail. Both Poodles have extremely loud and annoying barks and
have attracted comments by our surrounding neighbors. We are out of
ideas, and a friend suggested a bark collar with settings that
automatically adjust upward when barking continues. Does anyone have
experience with these devices? They don't seem very humane, but
Poodles are supposed to catch on quickly and we are at our wit's end.
Help!

Old October 1st 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Blothar von Wombat said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We have two Standard Poodles; 1 female (3-years old) and 1
male (2- years old). They both have been through obedience
training and we have had Bark Busters out to try and
resolve barking issues.

What did Bark Busters do? There's no pointing in repeating
what didn't work. Did you follow up on their guarentee? I
don't know much about Bark Busters because I know only one
dog who's gone through the progam and I'm keen to know how
repeat sessions work.

All to no avail. Both Poodles
have extremely loud and annoying barks and have attracted
comments by our surrounding neighbors.

Many of my neighbours don't realise that I have dogs -
nuisance barking equates to "fun stops now." Where are your
dogs when they nuisance bark? Where are you?

We are out of
ideas, and a friend suggested a bark collar with settings
that automatically adjust upward when barking continues.

Would you have control, or is it a collar which stims when
the dog barks? If it's one where you have control, learn how
to use it properly or it will make the situation worse. If
it's one the dog sets off, don't use it, it will make the
situation worse. If it's a citronella collar, don't use it.
If you can't apply appropriate verbal or basic collar
corrections, don't even consider e-collars.

Regardless, there are options before remote collars, like a
class with which you feel comfortable. Instead of the Yellow
Pages, ask around.

Does anyone have experience with these devices? They don't
seem very humane, but Poodles are supposed to catch on
quickly and we are at our wit's end. Help!

Exactly - Poodles catch on very quickly, so you need some
one-on-one with a bona fide instructor. I don't know enough
about Bark Busters to know how to categorise them - but, if
they didn't work for you, look further.

Old October 1st 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Blothar von Wombat" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have two Standard Poodles; 1 female (3-years old) and 1 male (2-
years old). They both have been through obedience training and we
have had Bark Busters out to try and resolve barking issues. All to
no avail. Both Poodles have extremely loud and annoying barks and
have attracted comments by our surrounding neighbors. We are out of
ideas, and a friend suggested a bark collar with settings that
automatically adjust upward when barking continues. Does anyone have
experience with these devices? They don't seem very humane, but
Poodles are supposed to catch on quickly and we are at our wit's end.
Help!

are they barking indoors or out?

Old October 1st 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Blothar von Wombat" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have two Standard Poodles; 1 female (3-years old) and 1 male (2-
years old). They both have been through obedience training and we
have had Bark Busters out to try and resolve barking issues. All to
no avail. Both Poodles have extremely loud and annoying barks and
have attracted comments by our surrounding neighbors. We are out of
ideas, and a friend suggested a bark collar with settings that
automatically adjust upward when barking continues. Does anyone have
experience with these devices? They don't seem very humane, but
Poodles are supposed to catch on quickly and we are at our wit's end.
Help!

You know.
I'm going to say something thats going to be unpopular, but I'm going to say
it anyway.

I wish that when my samoyed was young and driving me crazy with barking,
that I had debarked him. I didnt' do it because I thought it would be cruel
or somehow unfair. What was unfair is that barking was a constant source of
conflict with the dog, his entire life. Now that he is gone, I know that he
could have barked to his hearts content, if only I had debarked the dog. It
would have been very kind to debark him. I'm sorry Kavik!! I wasnt' brave
enough to do the right thing!!!

So, its something to consider. Dont' let other people tell you how horrible
it is. For some dogs, its NOT horrible or cruel. Its great kindness

Old October 1st 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So, its something to consider. Dont' let other people tell
you how horrible it is. For some dogs, its NOT horrible
or cruel. Its great kindness

As far as the dog is concerned, debarking is not cruel. And
horrible is in the eye of the beholder. I lie in the "almost
a last resort" category, though I've never owned an inveterate
barker.

Old October 1st 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So, its something to consider. Dont' let other people tell
you how horrible it is. For some dogs, its NOT horrible
or cruel. Its great kindness

As far as the dog is concerned, debarking is not cruel. And
horrible is in the eye of the beholder. I lie in the "almost
a last resort" category, though I've never owned an inveterate
barker.

I was a "last resort" believer, until after Kavik's death when I felt guilty
about yelling at him for barking at me in the mornings (a lifelong argument
we had) the week before died. I had a revelation at that point that maybe
letting him bark as much as he wanted (he was a happy-happy-joy-joy barker
and not an alarm barker) would have been the kindest option. Tok is an
alarm barker, its so much more manangable than Kavik somehow and was
something i could easily train out. Training out barking with joy was
really, really hard - I never managed it with Kavik.

I don't know enough about the OP's situation to say whether its last resort,
but it certainly sounds pretty close. I'd personally rather see a dog
debarked than shocked for barking. I mean, which seems more humane?

Old October 1st 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Beth In Alaska wrote:
So, its something to consider. Dont' let other people tell you how horrible
it is. For some dogs, its NOT horrible or cruel. Its great kindness

Well, it depends. Mushing kennels do it somewhat more
frequently than other kinds of dog owners and mostly it's
fine but there can be problems with scar tissue interfering
with breathing.

Old October 1st 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Bill[_3_]

Yes anti-bark collars can work. But this is just a tool. Also need regular
training. Then the way these collars work is they electrically shock the
dog. If hair is between the contacts and the dog's skin, they will not make
electrical contact.

So may need to trim dogs hair so contacts touch dogs skin.

I don't feel comfortable leaving this collar on my dog when I am gone for a
long period. I prefer to only use it while I am gone for a short time and
for training while I am home. Then I can keep an eye on things.

Also I don't want my dog to never bark, just to not bark constantly when I
leave. So there is a balance.

Also I crate train for not barking with no collar. I put dog in crate, let
dog bark and bark. I leave room. Eventually dog will get tired and take a
break from barking. Then I come back into the room and say GOOD DOGGIE! and
I keep doing this as long as dog is not barking. If dog starts barking
again, I turn my back and leave the room.

So barking = No attention. (Do not give in!)
Not barking = tons of praise, attention, and a treat sometimes.

Mix this with using the collar. And then do same for outside.

BTW I've read that poodles are quite smart. So they should be able to figure
out that their life will be quite "pleasant" when they are not barking, but
"unpleasant" if barking. Just takes a lot of repeated training to
communicate this to them.

Old October 1st 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I don't know enough about the OP's situation to say whether
its last resort, but it certainly sounds pretty close.

The OP wasn't clear on what training has been done (which is
why I asked the questions I did in my reply to him). So
"certainly" is not the word I'd use.

I'd
personally rather see a dog debarked than shocked for
barking. I mean, which seems more humane?

Did you read my first post in this thread? I recommended
against inappropriate use of e-collars.

Old October 1st 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I don't know enough about the OP's situation to say whether
its last resort, but it certainly sounds pretty close.

The OP wasn't clear on what training has been done (which is
why I asked the questions I did in my reply to him). So
"certainly" is not the word I'd use.

I'd
personally rather see a dog debarked than shocked for
barking. I mean, which seems more humane?

Did you read my first post in this thread? I recommended
against inappropriate use of e-collars.

I wasn't arguing anythign with you, just musing on this rather near and dear
subject.