cont. Parrot worked to Death?

Old October 2nd 07, 09:39 AM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
M.J.

Default cont. Parrot worked to Death?

"Louis Boyd" wrote in message

If Alex didn't like the life he had he had the option of just sinking his
beak into Irene P.'s hand and refusing to play her games.

He bonded to Dr.Pepperberg, he loved her, and propably
could not hurt her even if he wanted to. She no doubt loved
him too but he was also a reaserch subject to her.

This film illustrates what I am talking about. Poor little
plucker Alex tells her six times that he's got enough but
she persists at him, forcing him, even with body contact,
as she nears a big tray towards his leg in order to elicit
a response from him.

No wonder he died pre-maturely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

M.J.

Old October 2nd 07, 10:30 AM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, M.J. exclaimed (10/2/2007 6:09 PM):
"Louis Boyd" wrote in message

If Alex didn't like the life he had he had the option of just sinking his
beak into Irene P.'s hand and refusing to play her games.

He bonded to Dr.Pepperberg, he loved her, and propably
could not hurt her even if he wanted to. She no doubt loved
him too but he was also a reaserch subject to her.

This film illustrates what I am talking about. Poor little
plucker Alex tells her six times that he's got enough but
she persists at him, forcing him, even with body contact,
as she nears a big tray towards his leg in order to elicit
a response from him.

No wonder he died pre-maturely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

M.J.

Poor guy. I do understand that Dr. Pepperberg probably loved Alex, but
in watching this, and some other videos, he seems to be clearly trying
to let her know he's had enough, and she keeps pushing him. His
plucking should have been a clear indication (at least, I'd think so,
I'm not a bird expert) that he was feeling stressed. I wonder if he
ever got a vacation?

jmc
Old October 2nd 07, 07:14 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
Peter Hucker

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:39:53 +0100, M.J. wrote:

"Louis Boyd" wrote in message

If Alex didn't like the life he had he had the option of just sinking his
beak into Irene P.'s hand and refusing to play her games.

He bonded to Dr.Pepperberg, he loved her, and propably
could not hurt her even if he wanted to. She no doubt loved
him too but he was also a reaserch subject to her.

This film illustrates what I am talking about. Poor little
plucker Alex tells her six times that he's got enough but
she persists at him, forcing him, even with body contact,
as she nears a big tray towards his leg in order to elicit
a response from him.

No wonder he died pre-maturely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

that's appalling. He actually asks to go back but she refuses.

--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."
Old October 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
M.J.

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
newsp.tzk0x4q84buhsv@fx62...
M.J. wrote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

that's appalling. He actually asks to go back but she refuses.

We bird owners know how stubborn these little creatures
can be, but still.

This video doesn't look good.

M.J.

Old October 2nd 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
cindi

Poor guy. I do understand that Dr. Pepperberg probably loved Alex, but
in watching this, and some other videos, he seems to be clearly trying
to let her know he's had enough, and she keeps pushing him. His
plucking should have been a clear indication (at least, I'd think so,
I'm not a bird expert) that he was feeling stressed. I wonder if he
ever got a vacation?

No kidding about the feathers! I almost got sick to my stomach seeing
that. I had an African Gray Parrot when I was young - found him what
I can only hope was a good home when I got married at age 23... He
plucked some of his own feathers when he first met my boyfriend and
got stressed about that - he also once ran to him and climbed up his
face and tried to bite off his nose (pretty smart parrot, I now know -
I should have taken that for a sign!) But that was just a couple
feathers and he stopped after he moved. Alex looked terrible. It was
so sad how he kept saying "go back, go back" and she just said no.
Man.

cindi

Old October 3rd 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
Peter Hucker

M.J. wrote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

that's appalling. He actually asks to go back but she refuses.

We bird owners know how stubborn these little creatures
can be, but still.

This video doesn't look good.

If a bird took the trouble to ask me to do something in English, I'd do it!

--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

REALITY.EXE corrupt. Reboot universe (Y/N)?
Old October 3rd 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
M.J.

newsp.tzmxolzt4buhsv@fx62...

M.J. wrote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

that's appalling. He actually asks to go back but she refuses.

We bird owners know how stubborn these little creatures
can be, but still.

This video doesn't look good.

If a bird took the trouble to ask me to do something in English, I'd do it!

He might have really hated all the exercises and just
resigned to the "torture" after a while. Who knows!

I could ignore a request or two, but not continuous pleas
to go back. The short movie captures at least six such, it
looks like there were many more.

M.J.

Old October 4th 07, 03:24 AM
Joeysmom Joeysmom is offline
Junior Member

Alex plucked when Dr. Pepperberg had to travel and only at those times.

When Alex really didn't want to do anything he would throw things and they would know that he was done and meant it.

Dr. Pepperberg and Alex...brought so much insight about parrots...I have some rescued parrots....and its my hope that her work will help bring more respect for the birds and less abuse. Many people don't realize how smart they are...Alex was loved and that is what most of want out of life.

Even when a bird loves you they will bite you...if Alex wasn't happy he would have shown it...I just got bit today by my CAG...I forgot I had the phone on me...the phone is a trigger for his aggression...and he tried to rip my lip off.
They can love you but will attack you if you push them too far or do something that frightens them..like the phone in my situation.
Old October 4th 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
JJ

"cindi" wrote in message
ps.com...

No kidding about the feathers! I almost got sick to my stomach seeing
that. I had an African Gray Parrot when I was young - found him what
I can only hope was a good home when I got married at age 23... He
plucked some of his own feathers when he first met my boyfriend and
got stressed about that - he also once ran to him and climbed up his
face and tried to bite off his nose (pretty smart parrot, I now know -
I should have taken that for a sign!) But that was just a couple
feathers and he stopped after he moved. Alex looked terrible. It was
so sad how he kept saying "go back, go back" and she just said no.
Man.

cindi

Well, in other videos, Alex looked wonderful. I had a cockatiel, JB, for 18
years. There were times during a particularly vigorous molt that he too
looked just awful! If you saw him, you'd want to call the ASPCA! So, don't
think that one video with the poor feathers is an indication that he was
mistreated. Just another opinion. JJ

Old October 5th 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,rec.pets.birds,alt.pets.parrots.breeding,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.equestrian
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, JJ exclaimed (10/5/2007 12:13 AM):
"cindi" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

If you poke around on YouTube, you can find other videos where he's
well-plucked. I seem to remember reading that he'd developed this
problem, but I can't remember where.

I'm not sure "mistreated" is the right word, though. "Overworked" might
be more accurate. I'm sure he was treated well, but for whatever reason
it appears his overall wellbeing was overlooked - for money, fame? Who
knows...

jmc