belly band alternatives (like training maybe) for marking males

Old October 3rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

Default belly band alternatives (like training maybe) for marking males

Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking male
dog?

Old October 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"BethInAK" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking

male
dog?

I'm interested in this one. Piddling cause a failure this weekend. I'll
share what happened, so although it doesn't help you, you can appreciate
that you are not the only one struggling with the issue.

Tuck was in a tracking test this weekend.
A VST test. The track went straight down a grass strip between two roads.
I knew the track did not go left, because there were a row of private
houses lining the left side of the road. The rules did not allow for the
track to go backwards, so I knew the track was right or straight. As we
approached a break in the buildings, I knew the track 98% went right.
There was another potential possibility for a turn a hundred or so yards
up, but the leg was already "very" long as it was. And unless all the rest
of the legs were 30 yard legs, the track HAD to turn right.
Tuck confirmed this by going straight, he ran out of track, whined and
whimpered, and started circling indicating a corner. Ok, everything
screams corner, and Tuck made the turn and ran smack into the bushes. And
stopped and read the newspaper, and put out all the obligatory male
classifieds in the lonely hearts section. (not a disqualification in
tracking) But he was completely out of "ink" but continued to try to
completely fill the classified section in spite of long ago being out of
ammo. Dry hiking.

So I finally got him back to where he was last tracking, and he headed to
the bushes.. Lather, rinse repeat X 5.

Finally getting him back to where he originally was tracking, I was hoping
beyond hope that i could just get him past the bushes, because I was
positive the track went that way. So Tuck suddenly had a change of heart,
and took off straight, and my heart smacked my toes like a jack hammer.
Sure enough.. I heard the whistle. Oh POOP!

They allowed us to finish the track,and once we got past the bushes, Tuck
chucked right on down the track like the tracking dog that I know him to
be.

My track layer was, a tracking judge, although not a tracking judge for
THIS test.
She gave Tuck a body rub, told him he was terrific, and not to worry, the
club would put an ad in the classifieds for him "excellent Tracking dog
.... needs Competent handler)

I was baffled. It was Tuck that wouldn't get out of the bushes. i did not
guide him, nor did i break any rules of tracking. When he finally took off
straight, I followed, but just about died.

I just didn't know how to get him past the obstacle without guiding him. I
just didn't see it as a handler problem.

I consulted a respected tracking handler , explained what had happened and
asked what EXACTLY "I" did wrong. I know what HE did wrong, but had been
told it was MY fault.

I was told, if a dog is tangled, you may approach the dog and untangle it.
At that point, you may start your dog. Had I allowed him to get entangled
(WHO KNEW!!!!) I could then have approached him, held my ground, and taken
him past the bushes and he would have passed the test.

I considered this cheating, but she said it's legal. I would just be using
the "rules" in my favor. Here I was so proud of my handling job that in
all that advertising, I not once allowed him to get entangled.
Entanglement at that moment in time would have been my friend.

I am now Eddycated in the concept of the GAME, but in my heart, i still
don't think it's in the spirit of tracking. If Tuck were on a SAR mission
though, I would recognize what was up, and physically haul him out of the
bushes and would be allowed to correct the behavior, set him back to work.
Not allowed in AKC...

so we lost the test due to his piddling around
Old October 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"BethInAK" wrote in message:
Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking male
dog?

Is he snipped? Recently snipped?

I've only had one marking dog in the house before, and it was managed with
treating him like an un-housetrained puppy. 100% vigilance, interruption
and redirection, praise for going in the appropriate place, crating when
necessary, etc.

Suja

Old October 3rd 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Suja" wrote in message

"BethInAK" wrote in message:
Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking
male
dog?

Is he snipped? Recently snipped?

I've only had one marking dog in the house before, and it was managed with
treating him like an un-housetrained puppy. 100% vigilance, interruption
and redirection, praise for going in the appropriate place, crating when
necessary, etc.

After a long time of management, did the marking cease?
I think in this case, the marking is intermittent - so they are vigilant and
then let their guard down, and then it happens again.

Old October 3rd 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

diddy none wrote in :

I am now Eddycated in the concept of the GAME, but in my heart, i
still don't think it's in the spirit of tracking. If Tuck were on a
SAR mission though, I would recognize what was up, and physically haul
him out of the bushes and would be allowed to correct the behavior,
set him back to work. Not allowed in AKC...

If you would have intervened as part of an actual tracking mission, would
have intervened as part of his tracking training, then I'm not sure that
figuriing outhow to appropriately intervene in the above scenario is simply
playing the "GAME". Sounds like, if its the right thing to do, you figure
out how to get it done. No matter what the circumstance.

But it also sounds like a tough call when you're hip deep in it. I am well
aware that my comments above are Monday Morning quarterbacking. It just
seemed like you were viewing the two things as being completely seperate,
and to an outsider reading it (me) I could see what he was talking about.
Doesn't seem like a "game"...seems like taking the right action, and
figuring out how to do that in different contexts.

Tara
Old October 3rd 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

After a long time of management, did the marking cease?

Mostly, yes (I only dogsat; wasn't one of my dogs). It would rear its ugly
head intermittently, when they would immediately go back to the 'treat him
like a puppy' routine. I think that he eventually connected the lack of
privileges with his behavior. I lost track of the dog, but last I heard, he
had gone more than a year without marking in the house.

I think in this case, the marking is intermittent - so they are vigilant

and
then let their guard down, and then it happens again.

Sounds 'bout the same. Dex's owners did not let up for months at a time any
time he regressed, and I think that really did help.

Suja

Old October 3rd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:53:38 -0800, "BethInAK"
wrote:

Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking male
dog?

Please provide more background.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Scientist silenced by politician for his position on global warming
http://hotair.com/archives/2007/10/0...lobal-warming/

A reading assignment for Comrade Sho
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

No Free Speech, Please - This is Columbia
http://www.mindingthecampus.com/foru...e_this_is.html

Pathetic.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...djYzRmNjFhYzE=

"Idiots are now convinced that Dubya doesn’t know Nelson Mandela is still alive"
"What has in fact died, and what a miserable, stinking death it was, is real intellectual rigor on the idiot left."
http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/web...he_television/

"At Ahmadinejad's speech, every vicious anti-Western civilization remark was cheered wildly.
It was like watching an episode of HBO's 'Real Time With Bill Maher.'"
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22596

Columbia’s Squalid Mistake - Academia's Ugly Blindness.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09252007...id_mistake.htm

"Al Qaeda Lost"
http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001519.html

Israel captured nuke materials in Syria!
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl..._in_Syria&only

George Soros: The man behind the "reality-based" community.
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75181103776079

The Soros Threat To Democracy
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75526219598836
Old October 3rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

news
wrote:

Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with a marking male
dog?

Please provide more background.

i dont' have much.
Dog has free reign (obviously needs to stop) and intermittently has periods
of marking furniture or other objects that may be lying on the floor.

Old October 3rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Tara spoke these words of wisdom in
4.196:

diddy none wrote in :

[...]

Right, I didn't have a clue how to intervene "legally" It needed to be
done, but the rules and judges look for any indication of guiding, and will
fail for it. I had no clue how to circumvent the obstacle legally, thus
allowing us to fail. I now know how better to approach this next time. And
I'm absolutely sure there WILL be a next time.
Old October 3rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"BethInAK" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Its not something I've ever had to deal with.
Besides management, and belly bands, what would you do with
a marking male dog?

A come to Jesus meeting. Marking is not allowed in my house
and I make that clear *with dogs who already know the rules.*

Don't poo-poo management.

Flea Prevention Alternatives? skddlbyp Dog health 8 November 22nd 06 05:29 PM
cheaper alternatives to Rimadyl and Glycoflex? [email protected] Dog health 1 November 29th 05 10:03 PM
Belly Rubbed? Tony Dog behavior 3 September 7th 05 03:15 PM
Golden with black belly Rking Dog behavior 0 March 22nd 05 04:55 AM
Belly bands flick Dog behavior 0 March 5th 05 06:24 PM