Fla. Woman Killed by Her Two Pit Bulls

Old October 4th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vey

Default Fla. Woman Killed by Her Two Pit Bulls

By Associated Press
9:41 PM EDT, October 2, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5342038.story

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. - Two pit bull terriers fatally attacked their owner
who had raised them since birth, authorities said Tuesday. Tina Marie
Canterbury, 42, was walking to her back yard when the 2-year-old redbone
pit bull terriers attacked her, according to the Clay County Sheriff's
Office.

One of Canterbury's sons tried to help her, but the dogs attacked him.
He was not seriously injured, authorities said.

A family friend shot at the dogs to scare them away. A deputy shot one
of the dogs. The other dog ran away but was found two hours later and
killed, authorities said.

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler said he couldn't remember such a severe
dog attack since becoming sheriff three years ago.

There were no signs of dog fighting or other abuse at the Canterbury
home, authorities said.
Old October 4th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

By Associated Press
9:41 PM EDT, October 2, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5342038.story

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. - Two pit bull terriers fatally attacked their owner who
had raised them since birth, authorities said Tuesday. Tina Marie
Canterbury, 42, was walking to her back yard when the 2-year-old redbone
pit bull terriers attacked her,

"Redbone Pit Bull"??

Old October 4th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

vey spoke these words of wisdom in
:

By Associated Press
9:41 PM EDT, October 2, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...attack,0,53420
[...]

A REDBONE is a coon dog ..NOT a pitbull. which is it?
And pitbulls do not kill people. It's VERY rare for any breed of dog to
kills someone. And when a pitbull does it, it's been improperly
misidentified, and is actually another breed.
Pitbull kills just don't happen.
Old October 4th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Greens

By Associated Press
9:41 PM EDT, October 2, 2007

[...]

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/m...9&provider=top

I'm listening to the 911 call right now. I think it's the son says that they
are two pit bulls. Also, you can hear the dogs in the background at some
point.

There's another news video, but I haven't watched it yet.

If you want to know what's going on, open a google account. Then go to "my
account"/alerts. Set an alert for "pit bull attack". You can get daily
notifications this way of all the latest pit bull attacks. I've been getting
emails about new attacks almost every day.

Old October 4th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Vey posted an item from the Orlando Sentinel about 2 Pit Bulls killing
their owner. Reference was made that they were Red Bone Pit Bulls.
---------------------------------------
I know nothing of the attack, other than what I read in the item Vey
posted, however my guess is that they were Red Nose Pit Bulls. I am
simply guessing. I have noticed Red Nose Pit Bulls in ads for Pit
Bulls. I am willing to guess that some of them are bred for fighting.
I am basing my opinion purely on the ads I have seen. I certainly do
not mean to suggest that all of them are bred for fighting or that the
woman that was attacked had fighting dogs.

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 4th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Greens wrote:
You can get daily
notifications this way of all the latest pit bull attacks.

Ha! Perfect.

Old October 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 23:43:59 -0400, "Greens" wrote:

...If you want to know what's going on, open a google account. Then go to "my
account"/alerts. Set an alert for "pit bull attack". You can get daily
notifications this way ...

Be careful not to set the alert for "stupid pet owner..."; else, you'll
need a vast hard drive. LOL

For the record, I'm not suggesting this dead woman did anything wrong.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old October 4th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Greens" wrote in message

snipped
If you want to know what's going on, open a google account. Then go to "my
account"/alerts. Set an alert for "pit bull attack". You can get daily
notifications this way of all the latest pit bull attacks. I've been

getting
emails about new attacks almost every day.

You really are obsessive in a hysterical kind of way, ya know. Seek help,
sooner rather than later.

td

Old October 4th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vey

Judith Althouse wrote:
Vey posted an item from the Orlando Sentinel about 2 Pit Bulls killing
their owner. Reference was made that they were Red Bone Pit Bulls.
---------------------------------------
I know nothing of the attack, other than what I read in the item Vey
posted, however my guess is that they were Red Nose Pit Bulls. I am
simply guessing. I have noticed Red Nose Pit Bulls in ads for Pit
Bulls. I am willing to guess that some of them are bred for fighting.
I am basing my opinion purely on the ads I have seen. I certainly do
not mean to suggest that all of them are bred for fighting or that the
woman that was attacked had fighting dogs.

Be Free.....Judy

more details:
http://savannahnow.com/node/369707

[couldn't select some text]

42, was found lying in the backyard of her rural neighborhood in this
community southwest of Jacksonville. Her 2-year-old pit bull terriers,
Rebel and Thor, were standing over her.

The dogs could be heard barking viciously at the woman's son as he
talked with emergency dispatchers and tried to check her pulse.

Canterbury had been bitten on the face and upper body and was dead by
the time deputies arrived.

Her son, Christopher "Cody" Canterbury, 21, was bitten on the neck as he
tried to reach her, but paramedics said he did not suffer serious injuries.

In the recording of the 911 call, Cody Canterbury can be heard trying
frantically to reach his mother while yelling at the dogs to get back.

"She's got a cut on her eye, and her shirt's all bloody," he tells the
dispatcher before trying to see if his mother has a pulse or is breathing.

As he moves closer, he begins screaming at the dogs to move and get away
before saying he feels a pulse but can't detect breathing. As he yells
louder and louder at the dogs to move, the phone goes dead.

In a second call, a man who identifies himself as Joe said his brother
had been attacked by the dogs as he tried to check their mother's pulse.

"They are in the backyard," he said. "They are over my mom, and they
won't let us get near."

When deputies pull up, he yells: "Hey, if they come at you, shoot 'em."

According to a sheriff's report, one of those at the house - Joseph
Harrell, 21 - already had shot at the dogs to scare them off.

In addition to Harrell and Christopher Canterbury, a third person -
Danielle Reavis, 18 - was at the house. Tina Canterbury's husband was
out of town working and was expected to return later in the afternoon
from New York, said Billy Canterbury, a family cousin and pastor of
their church.

He said Tina Canterbury and his cousin had been high school sweethearts.

"She's a beautiful young lady," he said. "It's a tragedy, and the world
is a lesser place for this young lady not being there."

Billy Canterbury said the dogs were like kids.

"They lived in the house with them," he said. "They would lay up on the
couch with them."

Connie Goon said that in her 18 years as Clay County's director of
animal control, there have been just two such fatalities - and in each
case, a pit bull terrier killed its owner.

Authorities said there were no signs that the dogs were abused or had
been used for fighting. No dogfighting implements or training devices
were found at the home, and the dogs did not have marks that they had
been fighters.

No police calls were made relating to the dogs or other incidents at the
residence on Cosmos Avenue off County Road 218, according to Sheriff's
Office records.

"This is a really sad, horrible situation," Sheriff Rick Beseler said.

He said that before authorities arrived, one of the dogs already had
been shot, and the second had run off. One of the first deputies to
arrive killed one of the dogs when it lunged toward him. The second dog
was found running along a property line and was killed about two hours
later.

The sheriff said the dogs that killed Tina Canterbury had been family
pets since they were pups.

Still, Beseler said, the case "brings to light the danger of these types
of dogs."
Old October 4th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Greens wrote:
If it is true that all dogs are "equal" and that pit bulls are being
maligned, we should see a lot of other breeds involved in fatal attacks and
I mean a lot since there are many other breeds.

Okay - too stupid to recognize problems with sampling bias.
Not surprising.

But hey! I wish you the *best* of luck in your apparently
never-ending quest to find stuff to be frightened by.