testing dog breed?

Old October 17th 03, 02:48 PM
Tim

Default testing dog breed?

Hi, I have a Black Lab mix that is 2 years old
When i got him , his previous owner told me he believed he was mixed with
some kind of Hound but i cant see it.
Other people have thought he was pure Black Lab, and yet others think he may
be mixed with Golden Retriever....

he is all Black, nothign strange abotu his coat, he doesnt have the blocky
strong head look that i feel accompnays most of the labs ive seen,
persoanlly i feel he looks more golden in his face too... soo cute. He's
also 90+ pounds and is a bull in a china shop. =) very loving and needy,
not a mean bone in his body. big bark, but wouldnt hurt a fly.. can be
sheepish when scolded and LOVES new people immediatly.

anyway, i was wondering if there was any way to have him tested to tell
what breed he truly is mixed with or not. Is there a blood test or dna test
that is available for dogs that doesnt cost a small fortune?
just curious.

Cody

Old October 17th 03, 04:10 PM
darrz

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:48:51 -0400, "Tim" wrote:

[...]

Sorry Cody, you're SOL on that. They're hard at work on the dog
genome, so it may be available soon, but not yet.

How cheap such a test would be is a whole nother matter.

Your guess on the breeds sounds about right to me.

One way to see if he's got some hound in him, is to see if he's got
some hound instinct working for him.

Try taking him on a walk where you know there's a raccoon or squirrel,
and let him see it flee up the tree.

Does he go nuts and start trying to climb the tree and baying?
If so, he might be a redneck, I mean, part hound! grin

In any case, sounds like a great dog!

Dave
Old October 17th 03, 07:13 PM
Tim

Thanks Dave
we are also his 3rd home cuz he tend to be quite energetic AND incredibly
needy.
It would be interesting to be owning a purebred lab if he was considerign
his previous owner got him at teh SPCA when he was 8 months old