Rescued dog's owner needs help.

Old October 9th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beverley

Default Rescued dog's owner needs help.

Hello, I could use a little help. I saved a 2+ year old boxer from the local
doggie "jail". She was very malnourished and had all sorts of worms. When
they picked her up off the street she weighed probably less than 30 pounds.
She's now up to 45 lbs. and I've had her not quite a month. (The vet is
hoping she'll go to about 50 pounds. He doesn't want her ribs showing.) When
I got her she wouldn't even lay on the hardwood floors because she was so
bony. The worms are gone. She's eating special "super" food and is gaining
weight slowly. Her vet is thrilled with her progress. I do think she's small
for a boxer.

It's taken absolutely no time for her to become spoiled with love and
attention. She has two big soft beds (one upstairs and one downstairs) to
sleep on and she does use them. It's only been in the last week that she has
even started sleeping on the bare floor. Amazingly, she's very strong!

She's a sweetheart! She comes to me frequently throughout the day and puts
her paws on my leg, leans her head into my chest, and then attempts to lick
my face. I'll ask her if she wants to go out and she will willingly go to
the back door. My yard is not completely fenced so I must walk her on a
leash. Often we will wander around the back yard as she sniffs and checks
all movement in the neighborhood. I will repetitively tell her to go pee-pee
and poop. I will ask as we walk out the door if she wants to go pee-pee and
poop. (I'm hoping for a little word association.) When she does (whichever)
I will praise her and tell her, "Good girl, you went pee-pee (poop)! Good
girl!" But often she will wander around and do nothing. I'll bring her in
and then find out 15 minutes later she's done something in the house. (She's
been checked by the vet and there is nothing physically wrong, no urinary
track infection or anything like that.)

My first reaction was that she seemed to be housebroken. She has terrible
anxiety, if I leave her even for a few minutes. She's getting better, but
invariably she will potty (either one or both) in the house if I'm gone.
She's had some training as she knows the commands sit, stay, back, down (lie
down). She doesn't know treat or cookie which I think is funny, but she's
learning those quickly! If she potties in the house I take her to the spot
and tell her, "Bad dog! No pee-pee (poop) in the house. Bad dog!" (Wow, does
she seem to know those words! She cowers as if she's about to be beat to
death.)

My dilemma is to teach her a signal for a potty break vs I want to be loved
and I will annoy you until I've had my fill of attention. Someone suggested
I put a bell on the back door and to teach her to ring that when she wants
to go out. She doesn't seem to like the sound. In fact, she's skittish of
any loud sounds.

She's not my first dog. I've rescued several animals over the years. I'm
sure time will be a major help but until then.... Does anyone have any great
ideas? She starts doggie/owner classes later this month but I doubt
housebreaking is covered. She's got to learn to walk on a leash and not pull
me off my feet! (Which is covered in the classes.)

BTW, she seems very intelligent. We go for walks in the neighborhood by
leaving through the front door and potty is the back door, unless we are
wearing our seat belt for a ride in the car. So what signal am I missing or
what do I need to teach her?

Help!
Spoiled's New Mommy

Old October 9th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beverley" spoke these words of wisdom in

My dilemma is to teach her a signal for a potty break vs I want to be loved
and I will annoy you until I've had my fill of attention. Someone suggested
I put a bell on the back door and to teach her to ring that when she wants
to go out. She doesn't seem to like the sound. In fact, she's skittish of
any loud sounds.

Does she dance when she needs to go out? Pace a lot? Watch her and see what
she prefers, in the meantime until you find a signal you two can communicate
well together, manage by taking her out more frequently than you think she
needs to go and paraise her when she goes.

You might try a touch pad, and everytime she touches it, you take her out and
praise her. How do you WANT her to signal you? by barking? (does she bark to
communicate?) You know the dog and what behaviors she offers freely. Pick one
to start uniquely condition her as to cause/effect. Let her know when she
does blank you will put her out and praise her.
Because we don't know her fears, triggers, and personality, you need to
decide what it's going to be with her and help her find herself
Old October 9th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Beverley" wrote in message
[...]

Boxers are often extremely intelligent. Sounds like you got a good one!

Basically what you need to do to housebreak her is eliminate the opportunity
for her to have accidents and praise her when she goes where you want her
to. What that means is, when you can't physically watch her, you'll need to
put her in a crate. Dogs are reluctant to soil where they sleep and will
try to hold it until they get out of their crate. Within reason, of course.
Don't crate her 12 hours a day or anything.

Most dogs quickly get used to a crate and don't view it as a "prison." If
you'd like some good links explaining crate training, just ask :-).

I'm wondering if part of the problem is, she's eating whenever she wants to
all day long and not on a strict schedule. Maybe that's what the vet wants
until she gets up to her normal weight. It will make housebreaking more
difficult, until you can schedule her meals. Twice a day feeding should be
enough then, then take her out as soon as she finishes eating and praise
her. "Oh, you had to go OUT, good girl!"

If she were my dog, I'd also take her to the same spot in the yard each
time, on the leash, and wander back and forth a bit in the same area until
she goes. Dogs can and will associate an area with their "elimination
spot." It shouldn't be too close to the house. Most dogs prefer not to
soil near their "den."

She sounds like a great dog. You're both real lucky; thanks for taking her
in and caring for her.

flick 100785

Old October 9th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beverley

I really hate the thought of a crate. I didn't keep my children in a playpen
and crates are just ... My one daughter, while she works, uses a crate for
her dog . Her dog considers it her bed and uses it frequently even when she
doesn't have to be there. I'm home most all of the time so taking her out
every half hour or so is not a big problem.

I live in the city so the back yard is quite tiny. Maybe 35 feet by 18 feet
(approx 11 meters by 5.5 meters) . The rest is concrete or flower beds. In
the beginning I had to instantly pick up every speck of poop because of the
worms. Now the worms are gone, but I still have to keep the area cleared
because it is so small.

She woke me up this morning and I took her out. She did nothing. I was out
there for probably 15 minutes. I finally brought her back in and will take
her out again in a little while. Right now, she's sleeping on her downstairs
bed.

SNIP

Old October 9th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beverley

She's a lucky dog! She probably would have been put down because she was so
sick. I was considering another dog from a rescue group when my youngest
daughter found this one. She decided that this dog was so loving and so
starved for love that she really needed me. She was also quiet natured and
would easy for me to handle. LOL (Until she got healthy and full of energy!)

Tether her to me inside? Do you mean keep her on her leash? I keep her
blocked off so she doesn't have free access to the whole house unless I'm in
those rooms.

You said you teach your dogs to tell you when they want to go out. How did
you do that? What signals are being used?
Bev

On 2007-10-08 19:59:45 -0400, "Beverley"

said:

she seemed to be housebroken.

Not really.

Clean up any area where she has eliminated with an enzyme cleaner.

Tether her to you when you are inside. Don't let her to make any more

mistakes.

Is she crate trained? If you can't watch her all the time, crate
training is very helpful.

Take her out on a schedule - feed her on one, too. It shouldn't take
her too long to get the idea. And as for the bell, our dogs could have
a bell downstairs and they could ring it all they'd like and we'd never
hear it. We teach dogs to tell us when they need to go out if their
needs don't match their schedule, but they go out pretty frequently.

Sounds like she hit the lottery with you!

Old October 9th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

I really hate the thought of a crate. I didn't keep my children in a
playpen and crates are just ... My one daughter, while she works, uses a
crate for her dog . Her dog considers it her bed and uses it frequently
even when she doesn't have to be there. I'm home most all of the time so
taking her out every half hour or so is not a big problem.

A crate is a dogs private bed/den. I don't understand what's so icky about
it. A crate offers you the freedom to restrict your dog for observational
purposes until she's ready to perform under your supervision. If you are
willing to supervise the dog all the time, then a crate is not necessary. A
crate just makes it easier. Tethering your dog to your waist is also an
option that works very well, so the dog is not sneaking off to do it's
business when you aren't watching.

The watchful eye is the important thing. The crate and tethering are simply
tools that help you do that. You can do the watchful eye thing even without
tethering, but it takes a lot of commitment to see that accidents do not
happen.. not even once. It takes a lot of energy and is exhausting.
Housebreaking a dog is not for the faint of heart. It's hard. Succeeding
can be a huge victory and a pat on the back for yourself.

Crates and tethers are excellent options for those who want to have a life
and not work quite as hard at it, and still accomplish the same goal. If
you don't like crates, it's great, no one is going to say you are a bad
owner because you don't want to use them. You just committed to step up a
whole bunch of notches to do the watchful eye thing. Just remember.. it's
NOT the dog. They are not humans and shouldn't be expected to act like
humans. If there is an accident, it's your fault, because you didn't watch
her.

The crate was offered as an option. I'm sure Flick will not take away your
dog license if you don't want to use it. (but he/she is probably shaking
his/her head wondering why you want to work so hard at this.)

She woke me up this morning and I took her out. She did nothing. I was
out there for probably 15 minutes. I finally brought her back in and
will take her out again in a little while. Right now, she's sleeping on
her downstairs bed.

Yep, and as soon as she gets up.. take her out.

Old October 9th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article JLKOi.2447$rD1.453@trnddc01,
"Beverley" wrote:

You said you teach your dogs to tell you when they want to go out. How did
you do that? What signals are being used?

I prefer to let the dogs figure out how to tell me. That requires that
*I* am very observant for subtlety. Some dogs have a "look", some dogs
dance, some bark, etc.

I prefer to have dogs come to ME when they need out, instead of to the
door (some people like to teach bell ringing), as it is not location
specific and pretty obvious, no matter what else I'm doing.

When your dog starts acting the least little bit antsy, call her to you
with a "do you need out?". Use an animated voice - get her to respond
in some way (not hard for most Boxers!). Then "OK - let's go out!" I
teach "do your business" when first out. No fun until elimination. I
praise with "good business". Easiest first thing in the a.m., when
99.99% of dogs need to eliminate.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 9th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

You said you teach your dogs to tell you when they want to go out. How did
you do that? What signals are being used?
Bev

You watch the dog. You learn to read the dog for signs that they need to go
out. Whining, restlessness, sniffing, circling, sneaking off to a remote
corner out of sight. Signs can be very subtle or blatent, such as barking or
scratching at the door. Mine come up and sit looking at me with a meaningful
expression, and when eye contact is made, they move to the door.

All this becomes a part of owner/dog communication. You two develop your own
languages through watching and getting to know the dog. As a dog owner, you
become dog savvy, since the dog does not have vocal chords and cannot tell
you it's needs, you learn by watching the dog's body language to anticipate
those needs. The bonds of communication then begin developing
Old October 9th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beverley" spoke these words of wisdom in
newsMKOi.2448$rD1.421@trnddc01:

What's a touch pad?
Bev

http://www.wagntrain.com/Target.htm
Once you achieve target training, you can direct your dog to touch something
significant that will signal a need. I use target training a lot, to
position my dogs. When they were puppies, the target could be found all over
the house. In advanced training, I use the target for go-outs and initially
used it under the correct scent article until he "got it" It can be useful in
teaching a dog to signal you. I have a box of targets on my desk to use when
needed, so targets would be the way I would approach this "signal" problem.
But then I understand the concept, and it's probably not a good solution for
you. Sorry for mentioning it. i think out loud sometimes. It's not always
good.