Rescue Pup health Concerns?

Old October 9th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jerry[_2_]

Default Rescue Pup health Concerns?

What if anything would a perspective owner need to be concerned about
this.

5 month old Lakeland terrier pups that were rescued from puppy mill.
These have AKC papers. When rescued they had all kinds of worms,
ticks, fleas, no heartworms. Are being treated by vet and are close to
fully healthy. They lived outside before rescue and are being
socialized by rescue folks. Rescue is asking new owners to just pay
for vet bills, $700-800.

Are there any future ramifications of various worms? What questions
should I ask? Any help appreciated.Rescure pup Health concern?
Old October 9th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Jerry" wrote in message
What if anything would a perspective owner need to be concerned about
this.

5 month old Lakeland terrier pups that were rescued from puppy mill.
These have AKC papers. When rescued they had all kinds of worms,
ticks, fleas, no heartworms.

Are there any future ramifications of various worms? ?

.......Nothing definite. Tincture of time is all that's needed. If a dog is
starving to death and to the point where the body systems are broken, then
there can be lifelong problems.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 9th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Are there any future ramifications of various worms? What questions
should I ask? Any help appreciated.Rescure pup Health concern?

Depends on what kind of parasites. The dogs can be monitored for this
periodically over the next year to make sure all stages of the parasites
have been killed. But, just because they've been wormed doesn't mean that
that worming took care of the immature stages. It's only when the mature
stages are in the intestines that the meds kill them. Strategic deworming
every 3 months should do the trick. Monthly if they are puppies until 12
weeks of age.

-Sharon

Old October 9th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:31:30 GMT, Jerry wrote:

What if anything would a perspective owner need to be concerned about
this.

5 month old Lakeland terrier pups that were rescued from puppy mill.
These have AKC papers. When rescued they had all kinds of worms,
ticks, fleas, no heartworms. Are being treated by vet and are close to
fully healthy. They lived outside before rescue and are being
socialized by rescue folks. Rescue is asking new owners to just pay
for vet bills, $700-800.

Are there any future ramifications of various worms?

Other than heartworm, none to my knowledge.

What questions
should I ask? Any help appreciated.Rescure pup Health concern?

You might consider "Can I have my vet examine this dog before
committing to adoption?".

I've always heard that puppy-mill dogs *can* exhibit behavioral
problems found to a much lesser degree in non-inbred dogs.

Perhaps you could assess degree of inbreeding (if any) with an
AKC family tree diagram? Also ask lots of behavior questions of
rescue folk.

In any event, if you take one, I salute you!

Peetie
Old October 9th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Jerry wrote:

Are there any future ramifications of various worms? What questions
should I ask? Any help appreciated.Rescure pup Health concern?

I'd probably be more concerned about their socialization than worms,
unless the worms had caused anemia and such. Concerns would be lack of
socialization with people, and fear issues.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 9th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Also, potty training issues. A lot of pups that I know that learned that it
was okay to sleep in their own filth turned out to be really difficult to
toilet train.

Very true. I wasn't sure exactly what "outdoors" may have meant. A big
enough area, and the pups may have actually figured out the
don't-poop-where-you-sleep issue.

--
Janet Boss