Study shows Dogs take cues from humans...(duh?)

Old October 10th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

Default Study shows Dogs take cues from humans...(duh?)

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/10/09/doglogic_ani.html?category=animals&guid=2007100912 4530about

The article is itneresting but certainly most dog owners know that dogs take
their cues from us. Its what made them good pets in the first place.

Old October 10th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
BethInAK wrote:
The article is itneresting but certainly most dog owners know that dogs take
their cues from us. Its what made them good pets in the first place.

Well, we've bred them for it for millenia. But still,
sometimes the role of research is to nail to down the
obvious (or to discover that what's "obvious" is not, in
fact, true). Foundational work provides a starting point
and a reference for additional work.

However, this goes beyond that kind of obvious stuff and
goes to inference, which is pretty cool. In my own house
Cinder doesn't like Eclipse and doesn't want to go outside
when Eclipse is out (Eclipse plays really rough), and so
before she goes out she looks around. If she sees Eclipse
she'll go out, and if she doesn't see Eclipse she'll wait.
That is to say, she reasons that if Eclipse is inside then
she's not outside. That's a really obvious thing for humans
to figure out but it does require more advanced thinking
than I expected of dogs. And while I love Cinder to pieces
she's not even very smart.