Dogs massacred in Puerto Rico

Old October 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,soc.culture.puerto-rico
fruitella

Default Dogs massacred in Puerto Rico

bunch of barbarians

Pet massacre in Puerto Rico

BARCELONETA, Puerto Rico - Elvia Tirado Polanco says she reluctantly
handed over her black- and white-spotted mutt to animal control
workers after they threatened that she would be evicted from her
housing project for keeping a pet there.

The workers promised to take the small dog named "Lucero" - or "Star"
- to a shelter. Days later, however, Tirado was horrified to learn
that dozens of pets seized this week in Barceloneta on Puerto Rico's
north coast were instead thrown to their deaths from a bridge.

"It was barbaric," said Tirado, 56, who wept Saturday as she described
caring for the seven-year-old dog. "This has been a really hard blow
for all of us."

Several pet owners inside the Antonio Davila Freytes housing project,
one of three raided by animal control workers Monday and Wednesday,
said they had provided vaccinations and lavished care on the cats and
dogs taken from their homes and killed with strays.

The government circulated a letter inside housing projects this month
warning that violators of a no-pet policy would be evicted. Mayor Sol
Luis Fontanez said the town ordered the removal of the pets, but he
blamed the massacre on a contractor hired to take the animals to a
shelter.

Fontanez said he would cancel the city's contract with Puerto Rico-
based Animal Control Solutions and that city lawyers were considering
a lawsuit.

Company owner Julio Diaz said he went to the bridge when he heard of
the allegations, but denied that the dead animals were the ones his
company collected. He said he would present his records as proof to
city authorities on Monday.

"I have the dead dogs in my facility," he said Saturday. "I am a
certified animal control officer. I have been doing this for nine
years."

Puerto Rico's housing department has opened an investigation into who
is responsible for the deaths, said Doris Gaetan, of the department's
office of community relations. She said regulations in the U.S.
Caribbean territory allow pets in government-funded housing projects
if they are small and do not pose a risk to others.

"We do not support the way in which this was done," Gaetan said during
a visit to hear the accounts of pet owners at one of the complexes.

A local resident, Jose Manuel Rivera, used a backhoe to bury about 50
animals Saturday in a mass grave near the bridge where they were
dumped.

He discovered the animals around dawn Tuesday after hearing barking
and whimpers from animals who survived the 50-foot fall. He recovered
six injured dogs, who were reunited with their owners after they saw
their pets on a television news broadcast.

"One had a broken spine, and about all of them had broken legs,"
Rivera said.

Many of the pets inside the housing project were strays that were
adopted by residents after wandering into the low-income neighborhood.
Owners said they feel they are now paying the price for the neglect of
others on an island with no pet registration law and little spaying or
neutering.

"It is not our fault that they come here," said Carmen Valle, 56, who
said workers seized two of her dogs. "We are humble people, but we
have good hearts. Animals should be treated with decency."

The scandal has led to problems for Hughesville, Md.-based Animal
Control Solutions, a company which is not related to the Puerto Rican
firm with the same name. Owner James White told The Associated Press
he has received hundreds of threatening e-mail or phone messages since
Friday from people upset about the Puerto Rico incident.

Tirado said she had cared for Lucero for seven years as if the dog
were her child, feeding her from the plastic table in her cramped
living room and letting her sleep beside her at night.

During the raids, she said workers surrounded the housing complex and
prevented anyone from leaving with pets. But she said she wishes she
had never let Lucero go.

"I have been crying so much I can barely sleep," she said.

Old October 15th 07, 04:10 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,soc.culture.puerto-rico
Curious/Observador

That is obvious, the dogs and the owners support statehood, that is
why the colonialist government of acevedo vila allows this sort of
savegary to take place in puerto rico. perhaps this company
contributed to the corrupt acevedo vila administration by buying one
of the milt-thousand dollar suits the honorable governor wears.

Old October 15th 07, 04:57 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,soc.culture.puerto-rico
Roberto Todd

Wrong! Employees belong to the annexationist party! Go figure those kind
of good old yankee values!