which dog?

Old October 15th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Default which dog?

The poodle sounds great, perfect personality for me. The breeder sounds
decent. The only problem with the poodle is that she is not a PWD.

I just talked to a breeder in Iowa. Has three 5 year old PWDs, female, all
spayed, willing to ship them. Hips were fair, good and excellant. I was
looking at the latter two dogs. All sound like good dogs, though I just
emailed a lot of questions that I didn't think to ask over the phone so I
need more info. Price of the dog is the price of the spay ($100-$150), plus
shipping (unless I pick up of course). Their price is extremely reasonable!
Even with shipping, price would come under $500. That is a huge plus.

I have a few other breeders get back to me today, each has a PWD to talk
with me about. I am feeling so much more hopeful so just wanted to share!

Old October 15th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like great news! My *vote* would be for one of the PWD's,
because you've wanted one so much. Cost seems great compared to the others.

good luck!

td

Old October 15th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

[...]

cost is awesome. the PWDs are rescues, the woman who has them is a breeder
but they are not from her stock, she took them in from a person who couldn't
care for them and didn't want them in a shelter. health background info is
not available. they had their hips checked but that is it (the original
owner wanted to breed them). two are littermates and attached to eachother
more than people. breeder wants them split because she thinks it would be
good for them, but they can only go to homes with other dogs. the poodle's
health history is known and her temperment is perfect. I wish it would be
easy to say "yes" to her. I just am not ready to give up on finding a
similarily perfect dog thats also a PWD. taking one of these PWDs is cheap,
easy but a gamble. I have to think of this, but am leaning towards passing
on the poodle.

Old October 15th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have a few other breeders get back to me today, each has
a PWD to talk with me about.

If you send me the names of the kennels, maybe I can get you a
quick thumbs up/down/dunno. It'll probably be faster than
replies to the email you already sent to me.

Old October 15th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

MauiJNP wrote:
I have to think of this, but am leaning towards passing
on the poodle.

Since you asked... I think that if you truly want a Portie, and it
sounds like that's what your heart is set on, then that's what you
should hold out for. It may take a little time, but you'll find the
right one for your home, and it will be worth the wait.

--
Shelly

Old October 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

I have to think of this, but am leaning towards passing on the poodle.

Since you asked... I think that if you truly want a Portie, and it sounds
like that's what your heart is set on, then that's what you should hold
out for. It may take a little time, but you'll find the right one for
your home, and it will be worth the wait.

I am leaning this way too. I am not in a huge hurry and can stand to wait a
reasonable amount of time. I am torn because the poodle's personality is
great and she is only 3. The other dogs are 5-6 years and have questionable
backgrounds. If I go with one of them, its a gamble. If I go with the
poodle, my next dog will be a PWD puppy. I am trying to figure out if I
think I'll be able to wait that long (could be 10 years till my next dog).
I do have to think, but I am sure set on the PWD (you were right about
that).

Old October 16th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

On 2007-10-15 14:50:29 -0400, "MauiJNP" said:

If I go with one of them, its a gamble.

What isn't?

bigger gamble I think

Old October 16th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
The poodle sounds great, perfect personality for me. The breeder sounds
decent. The only problem with the poodle is that she is not a PWD.

Playing devil's advocate he Why do you want to switch breeds? What do
you think you'll find in a PWD that you won't find in a poodle?

Beth

Old October 16th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

The poodle sounds great, perfect personality for me. The breeder sounds
decent. The only problem with the poodle is that she is not a PWD.

Playing devil's advocate he Why do you want to switch breeds? What do
you think you'll find in a PWD that you won't find in a poodle?

a working dog who loves retrieving, water, solid temperment.

really, I like both. also feel the need for a change, a new experience,
something different