Dehydrated Food

Old October 16th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default Dehydrated Food

I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide like
treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

THANKS!

Old October 16th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few

healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide

like
treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

Pumpkin is the only other thing I can think of. Also, I bet the dogs will
appreciate you sharing some of that jerky with them. Heck, you could make
those dehydrated liver treats and such for them.

Suja

Old October 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

"Suja" wrote in message

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few

healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide

like
treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

Pumpkin is the only other thing I can think of. Also, I bet the dogs will
appreciate you sharing some of that jerky with them. Heck, you could make
those dehydrated liver treats and such for them.

pumpkin sounds good too. I bought two extra things for it right away. one
is a solid tray so you can add liquid or creamy things. I wonder what would
happen if I just threw on some blobs of canned pumpkin? I will have a lot
of fun experimenting!

Old October 17th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

never thought of pumpkin.. i know my old guy would love it! I do
apples and sweet potatoes. I may try tomatoes.. the blind man LOVES
them. Please post what you try and they like.

what kind of dehydrator did you get? mine only has one temp and takes
about 24hrs to do 1/4-1/2 inc sweet potatoes slices.

Old October 17th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide
like treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

THANKS!

Dehydrators are handy things to have. If it's summertime, you're in a hot
climate, and need to dry more than your dehydrator will hold, try our
method.

Park your car in the sun, front windows cracked about 1/2". Put food in car
on nonstick cookie sheets, or thread on string and tie side-to-side on the
clothes hooks.

My kids' friends used to get a big kick out of the strings of drying
peppers, heh.

flick 100785

Old October 18th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

MauiJNP schrieb:
I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide like
treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

THANKS!

I dry chicken hearts (cut into 4-5 pieces for training treats).
Theoretically they keep for 3 months if you cut the fat off. I don't
bother doing that, since I do them in small batches from the freezer and
the dogs polish them off in less than a week. The big favourite is
fresh green tripe (with the dehydrator running in the garage, I hasten
to add).

Sally

Old October 18th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

The big favourite is fresh green tripe (with the dehydrator running in the
garage, I hasten to add).

that's where it will be running (the garage). the model I got says it is
not loud but there is limited counter space in the kitchen so it will go
there. that way, I can make smelly treats for the dogs too!

Old October 18th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

never thought of pumpkin.. i know my old guy would love it! I do
apples and sweet potatoes. I may try tomatoes.. the blind man LOVES
them. Please post what you try and they like.

ok.

http://tinyurl.com/33pw99

Old October 18th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Oct 17, 9:51 pm, "MauiJNP" wrote:
never thought of pumpkin.. i know my old guy would love it! I do
apples and sweet potatoes. I may try tomatoes.. the blind man LOVES
them. Please post what you try and they like.

ok.

what kind of dehydrator did you get? mine only has one temp and takes
about 24hrs to do 1/4-1/2 inc sweet potatoes slices.

http://tinyurl.com/33pw99

I thought of trying canned pumpkin or other fruit. The directions
just recommended using some parchment paper

Old October 18th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Oct 16, 1:18 pm, "Suja" wrote:
"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I just placed an order for a food dehyrator. I wanted one to make some
jerky, fruit, etc for myself. I also wanted to make the dogs a few

healthy
treats. I already know about using sweet potato to make a nice rawhide

like
treat. What others things are healthy, good and simple?

Pumpkin is the only other thing I can think of. Also, I bet the dogs will
appreciate you sharing some of that jerky with them. Heck, you could make
those dehydrated liver treats and such for them.

Suja

Homemade dehydrated treats, what a great idea. My vet has recommend
adding canned (pure) pumpkin mixed with her dry dog food and she loves
it. The dehydrated pumpkin would work out wonderful for us.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Trax
www.thedogshows.com