Freezing Kibble

Old October 19th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Default Freezing Kibble

Has anyone experienced any downside to freezing bags of
kibble? Natura has changed their formulation of Cal Nat (the
food which has helped keep Rocky seizure-free for 5 years), so
I'm buying as many bags as I can find, which is only four so
far.

I've been in communication with Natura and they assure me that
the new formulation won't appear in the old bags, so I'm safe
in my hoarding plans.

Old October 19th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

Has anyone experienced any downside to freezing bags of
kibble?

I know people who do it because of bugs, but have never heard any
downside. I hope you have a big freezer!

--
Janet Boss
Old October 19th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I hope you have a big freezer!

Yep, a big ol' deep freezer, mostly empty. The food should
last quite a while because I'll change Friday and Maybe to
something else.

Old October 19th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Rocky" wrote in message:

Has anyone experienced any downside to freezing bags of
kibble?

Can't say I've ever tried. What does Natura have to say about it? What is
the 'use by' period for unfrozen kibble, and exactly how long are you hoping
to extend it?

Natura has changed their formulation of Cal Nat (the
food which has helped keep Rocky seizure-free for 5 years),

Crap! You should ask Natura to ship you as many bags of the old formula as
they have remaining. Are there any pet food suppliers that ship to where
you live? That could be an option too.

so
I'm buying as many bags as I can find, which is only four so
far.

You could get the word out that the Judge is accepting donations of the old
formula Cal Nat. Bet you'll get lots of donations from the competitors.

Suja

Old October 19th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Has anyone experienced any downside to freezing bags of
kibble?

Can't say I've ever tried. What does Natura have to say
about it? What is the 'use by' period for unfrozen kibble,
and exactly how long are you hoping to extend it?

I never asked them about the freezing aspect, other than
telling them I was planning on it. I'll wait for their
reply. Of the four bags I bought today, 2 have an expiry
date of July 2008 and two have August.

Natura has changed their formulation of Cal Nat (the food
which has helped keep Rocky seizure-free for 5 years),

Crap! You should ask Natura to ship you as many bags of
the old formula as they have remaining. Are there any pet
food suppliers that ship to where you live? That could be
an option too.

Rocky, at the max, goes through half a bag per month (I buy a
new bag every 3 weeks for all 3 dogs and they eat about the
same amount). There are plenty of Natura suppliers in
Calgary now (I'm responsible for some of them picking up the
line and I let Natura know that), so I'll probably be doing a
local road trip.

so
I'm buying as many bags as I can find, which is only four
so far.

You could get the word out that the Judge is accepting
donations of the old formula Cal Nat. Bet you'll get lots
of donations from the competitors.

Heh. Large Bag == Q?

Old October 19th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Rocky said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I never asked them about the freezing aspect, other than
telling them I was planning on it.

I should have added that I've had great communication from
Natura - two long phone conversations (one of which they
initiated) and a thorough email which copied some stuff from
Peter Atkins (Natura president) who was responding to my
concerns (though not to my satisfaction - but I'm picky).

Old October 19th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"Rocky" wrote in message
Has anyone experienced any downside to freezing bags of
kibble?

I always freeze my kibble. I buy 20 pound bags of Canidae and divide them
up into zippered freezer bags. A 20 pound bag lasts us 3-4 months. The
store isn't very handy for me so this is my compromise.

And actually, what the dogs are eating right now was frozen back in March.
After Sassy's little bout with pancreatitis, I tried a couple of other dry
foods so this gave me a backlog of food in the freezer. (When this is gone,
we'll be going to Canidae Platinum.)

I don't see any difference in smell or integrity of the pellets. The dogs
have had no reaction to indicate that they notice anything different.

Especially if you keep in it a freezer that doesn't get opened several times
a day - so the temperature stays constant - and you have it in relatively
airtight packaging, I can't imagine that you would have any problems keeping
it for a year or more.

Very possibly longer wouldn't be a problem either. I would expect that any
problems would show up slowly and be related to either an off odor or
crumbling pellets.

Judy

Old October 19th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Judy" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Thank you!

I plan on freezing the food in the original foil-lined bags,
but removing it to smaller containers as the need arises.

Very possibly longer wouldn't be a problem either. I would
expect that any problems would show up slowly and be
related to either an off odor or crumbling pellets.

I'd like to stash five years worth, but even if it would last
that long, I doubt that I can pack that much food into my
freezer unless I opened the 30 bags and dumped them in.

Old October 19th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

I'd like to stash five years worth, but even if it would last
that long, I doubt that I can pack that much food into my
freezer unless I opened the 30 bags and dumped them in.

Is the freezer frost free?

--
Janet Boss
Old October 19th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Is the freezer frost free?

No.

AKC's policy on freezing ova? Atrox Dog breeds 2 May 2nd 05 03:40 PM
kibble searching Rosa Palmén Dog health 2 December 16th 03 11:14 AM
Mixed raw and kibble Rocky Dog health 28 December 4th 03 05:23 AM
Puppy Kibble Basdklj Dog health 0 October 19th 03 05:44 PM
Puppy Kibble Basdklj Dog health 0 October 19th 03 05:44 PM