Need good, tough chew toys

Old September 13th 03, 08:47 PM
Freckledgrrl

Default Need good, tough chew toys

for a 14-lb beagle chihuahua mix...she chews the noses and eyes off the
squeak toys I buy her, usually within 10 mins of being presented with the
toys!
No joy yet from the Net...anyone have any recommendations?
- Freckledgrrl

Old September 17th 03, 06:30 AM
Jo Wolf

THen don't bother with squeak toys. Go for toys specifically designed
for chewing.... Nylabone, Kong (can stuff with goodies...), etc. There
are many.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 6th 03, 10:22 AM
Google User

I have a solution, though it is somewhat unorthodox. I, too, have
nearly broken the bank by purchasing toy and toy after toy that is
routinely destroyed. Yes, in usually ten minutes or under. It is a
waste of time and money and is potentially dangerous to the dog. I
don't know about your beagle mix, but Kongs seem to really bore my two
Bostons. Sure, you can stuff treats or peanut butter into them (the
latter being REALLY messy) but this is for a chew toy, not an all-day
snack. Try visiting http://www.littlebeasts.com/challenge.html which
lists a variety of toys that were tested out by the site owner's two
dogs. (Besides being really helpful, the littlebeast.com site is one
of the most fun and amusing dog sites on the Web today!!) As you can
see by the lists, these two pups have tried about every squeak, plush
and plastic toy out there. Who has the time or the money? The
solution, according to this site, is a cow milker. That's right, a
cow milker. It is the only 'toy' on the list that has proven
virtually indestructible. It gets a perfect score of 10 and to quote:
"The Beasts have gone ballistic on these toys for a month and have
not even a tooth mark to show for their efforts!" It has no squeaker
or hard parts, just tough black rubber. And then another update:
"After 3 months of the most brutal attacks of tug of war and serious
chewing sessions, the Beasts were able to damage the milkers. One was
torn in half and the other the end was chewed. We trimmed the end and
itis as good as new." OK, so true perhaps resorting to farm equipment
is a tad extreme, but I don't know how rough your dog may get with
her toys. If she's like mine it's a vicious attack. A toy that last
for three months?? Worth it!

Old October 6th 03, 10:46 PM
Freckledgrrl

Hey, nice site! Yes, my Molly will attack and try to devour the chew toy -
no Kongs for her, I'd never get the peanut butter out of the carpet, etc.
Most awesome...thank you for the heads-up! She gets bored w/the rope-toy
thingies, she likes stuff that has a squeaker and a face...
Freckledgrrl
*************
om...

Old October 7th 03, 03:20 AM
Jo Wolf

Yeh, the rubber milking gizmo is neat. Also, one friend of mine buys
new radiator hose from the auto supply store to use as a tug toy that's
tough... but it isn't sturdy enough for all day chewing.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 17th 03, 08:53 PM
DC

These aren't 'chew' toys, per se, but my puppy likes them.

Cardboard cereal/kleenex, etc. boxes -- with paper liner or plastic
cover removed. She loves to destroy these & if she eats a few pieces
it'll digest.

Plastic drink bottles -- 20 oz. size -- with top glued on. She loves
to bat these around & chew on the top.

Plastic milk jugs with no top (either 1/2 gal. or gal. size) -- she
chews on these & throws them around. They're also good with a piece of
rope tied around the handle so she can drag them.

As with any toy, I watch carefully to see if she's chewing pieces off
the plastic yet. Once they start to get worn, I throw them away. Best
of all, they're free!
Old October 31st 03, 11:19 PM
Jeremy Lowe

In shameless self promotion I write..... Check out the edible dog bones
http://www.healthypetnet.com/product...lname=10051003

--
Jeremy
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy