Kali Pups Update

Old October 24th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

Default Kali Pups Update

Puppies turned one week old Sunday. They are growing like weeds. A couple
of them appear to be hearing now. They try and squirm towards the sound of
our voices. And a couple of them appear to be trying hard to open their
eyes too. When I left them earlier this evening, they were all nursing.
One starts, and the others squirm towards Kali. Baby Hoss, the white one
nurses like it's her last meal each time. Kali has been a good momma.
She's enjoying being taken out for a little walk on the leash to relieve
herself. We are still keeping the dogs segregated, Whiskey and Monte in the
back yard and Kali's walks on leash out front.

Robin is trying to decide if she wants to continue to use the Franklin
County Humane woman for the pups, or if we should simply go ahead and order
all the vaccinations and worming stuff and do it ourselves. She figures we
can get all the supplies we need to take care of it all for a bit over a
hundred dollars. She's not sure she wants to sign over all the pups.

td

Old October 24th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
news
[...]

You can get vaccinating and deworming supplies pretty cheaply online.
although the humane society might have excellent homes lined up and may let
her keep whatever pup shes' interested in.

Old October 24th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

[...]

Franklin County is rather rural, usually has lots of dog listed on
craigslist looking for home before their time is up at the shelter. I'm
guessing this woman simply loves dogs and wants to help. But when Robin
asked while at the vet appointment last tuesday about keeping one of the
pups, she was told 'they'd have to check on that because they'd *never* had
that question before. Duh?? So far, no one has gotten back to her with an
answer as to 'what happens if one of us wants to keep a pup?' They want
Robin to sign them over into the program. We foster them until homes are
found for them. But there apparently aren't any provisions for either Robin
or me keeping a pup. They've had over a week now to figure out what happens
if one or both of us wants to keep a pup. That bothers us. Robin is
thinking about keeping them, not signing them over, and us advertising them
on craigslist for an adoption fee, but being able to advertise that they
have had their worming and their puppy shots as an advantage.

td

Old October 24th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"tiny dancer" wrote in
:

But there apparently aren't any provisions for either Robin
or me keeping a pup. They've had over a week now to figure out
what happens if one or both of us wants to keep a pup. That
bothers us.

They're probably over-worked, under-staffed, and kind of busy. If
you want an answer, call them back.

but being able to advertise that they have had their worming and
their puppy shots as an advantage.

Do you really want to attract owners who are looking for that sort of
bargain?

--
Shelly
Old October 24th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Shelly" wrote in message
"tiny dancer" wrote in
:

But there apparently aren't any provisions for either Robin
or me keeping a pup. They've had over a week now to figure out
what happens if one or both of us wants to keep a pup. That
bothers us.

They're probably over-worked, under-staffed, and kind of busy. If
you want an answer, call them back.

but being able to advertise that they have had their worming and
their puppy shots as an advantage.

Do you really want to attract owners who are looking for that sort of
bargain?

Well this is their latest, last night, listing on criagslist. Placing the
litter of kittens we had in Robin's garage a couple months ago wasn't as
hard as we expected it would be, and we seemed to attract people who
genuinly loved animals. It sounds like they have more animals to place then
people to place them with as it is.

Franklin County pets needing homes!

----
Reply to:
Date: 2007-10-23, 2:07PM EDT

Currently at Franklin County Animal Shelter... Please help if you can or
forward to anyone who might be able to assist...Please feel free to repost
on other message boards, etc. These animals do not have a lot of time left!
They are all free to a good home.

SEE FULL AVAILABLE PET LIST
http://west.petfinder. com/shelters/NC119.html

For current information on pet's availability, please call the ANIMAL
CONTROL OFFICERS at the Shelter at 919-496-3032 during their open hours
9-5pm Monday thru Friday. There are extended hours on Thursdays from 5pm to
7pm.

kittens - more also
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486481

Rottie mix!
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9442473

Border Collie mix
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486292

Retriever cross
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486374

Cute shepherd cross
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486437

SWEET Rottie mix!
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486452

SWEET Rottie mix!
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9486452

Others too, including kitties, all free to a good home (please spay or
neuter!) Check out the FULL AVAILABLE PET LIST (link above) for complete
listing.

PLEASE NOTE: These have a VERY limited amount of time left before they will
be put to sleep. Please forward to anyone who might be able to assist.

a.. Location: Franklin County
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pet/457396270.html

Old October 24th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"tiny dancer" wrote in
news
Placing the litter of kittens we had in Robin's garage a couple
months ago wasn't as hard as we expected it would be, and we
seemed to attract people who genuinly loved animals.

Dogs are harder to find homes for than cats.

It sounds like they have more animals to place then people to
place them with as it is.

What about that surprises you?

--
Shelly
Old October 24th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

[...]

Tell them you'll sign X pups into the program. X equals the total number
minus one. The puppies belong to you guys, even though Franklin Humane has
offered to help.

If you think they won't go for that - and I dunno why they wouldn't - tell
them one died. At this point, these people have no right to dictate to you
what you do with those puppies in terms of handing them over to Franklin or
finding homes yourself, or keeping them all if you wanted that many dogs.

I would take them up on their offer of finding homes for the rest of them,
though. It's time-consuming, and there are people who make a great
appearance in your driveway but do want dogs for nefarious purposes.

flick 100785

Old October 24th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Many Dogs \(flick\)" wrote:

I would take them up on their offer of finding homes for the rest of them,
though. It's time-consuming, and there are people who make a great
appearance in your driveway but do want dogs for nefarious purposes.

Shelters are getting more progressive and many rescues and shelters will
do "courtesy listings" for the owners, and sometimes, a screened home
can come from that. Most shelters are happy to help place and never
have to actually have the pups in the shelter (or should be!). A topic
for discussion.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 25th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

Are you doing the Super Puppy program that Diddy told you about? That would
be a huge, major "selling" point for your puppies over the average, whelped
under the house kind of pups.

Beth

Old October 25th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"bethgsd" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

Are you doing the Super Puppy program that Diddy told you about? That

would
be a huge, major "selling" point for your puppies over the average,

whelped
under the house kind of pups.

Beth

The pups are only just over a week old. We have mostly been trying to leave
them alone as much as possible for right now. I have read over the super
puppy information and do plan on incorporating as much as we are able to
with them. I also believe in stimulation of babies/infants, so stimulating
the puppies makes perfect sense and would be very interesting and fun for
me. although I don't know that we can be quite as diligent as the article
calls for, we do plan on doing our best. There are also the three
toddler boys and two other dogs at that house, so for right now, keeping
everyone satisfied, looked after, and separated is sometimes a challenge.

To my inexperienced eye, the pups appear to be a bit ahead of schedule on
certain things. They are active, and I love touching their little pads, so
I've done that quite a bit. I also enjoy picking them up for the little
boys to see/watch. So I've held them in my hands, bellies up, stroked them,
touched them, etc., in my normal course of caring for them while attempting
to teach the boys to be *gentle*. We already have the loan of a puppy play
yard for when they are more mobile.

We plan on having them pretty well socialized to both adults and children by
the time they are ready to be adopted out. And I've always thought it
important to do a lot of handling of feet, ears, toes, mouths, etc., so my
dogs are not difficult when it comes to nail clipping, ear cleaning, teeth
cleaning, and pilling.

What do you think? Anything else we should be doing?

td