Oh. My. G-d.

Old October 25th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Oh. My. G-d.

[]
Wow. Am I ever glad we don't have those things around here.
I've heard stories but this is the first time I've ever seen
photos.
http://snowrunner.blogspot.com/2007/...ke-placid.html

Old October 25th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
[]
Wow. Am I ever glad we don't have those things around here.
I've heard stories but this is the first time I've ever seen
photos.
http://snowrunner.blogspot.com/2007/...ke-placid.html

???I'm confused - you're glad you don't have porcupines around there?

We had a redbone just about that bad once. The guys were just training her
and had seen a coon *right* there. So, in the dark, my BIL kept saying
"Get'em, sic'em". And she did.

It took them most of the rest of the night to pull the quills out. She had
them all over her tongue and lips - because, you know, she was doing what
she was told.

It was a real testament to that dog's temperament. She lay there and let
them pull quills. Never once tried to either bite out of pain or fear or
even to pull away. When they'd pull one, she'd shiver just a little and
then wait for the next one.

I'm really, really glad that we *don't* have pictures.

Judy

Old October 25th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
[]
Wow. Am I ever glad we don't have those things around here.
I've heard stories but this is the first time I've ever seen
photos.
http://snowrunner.blogspot.com/2007/...ke-placid.html

============

That is pitiful; I feel that dog's pain. How horrible can that be. What
beautiful dogs.

Old October 25th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
???I'm confused - you're glad you don't have porcupines around there?

You bet.

Where were you living when your hound was porcupined? It
sounds awful.

Old October 25th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:
[]
Wow. Am I ever glad we don't have those things around here.

I assumed they were pretty much everywhere there was forest, but a
search of the state fish and wildlife website shows that they are
extirpated in Indiana. Who knew?!

I've heard stories but this is the first time I've ever seen
photos.
http://snowrunner.blogspot.com/2007/...ke-placid.html

Those poor dogs!

--
Shelly
Old October 25th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

That poor dog. They are the worst I can remember my mom helping one of my
brothers friends pull quills out of his beagle.

I was at the vets once when a guy brought a dog in that had tangled with a
procupine. It was the 3rd time he'd done it. My vet said sometimes they
learn and other times all they remember is the pain and immediately go into
attack mode and go at the porcupine trying to kill it.

Celeste

Old October 25th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Judy wrote:
???I'm confused - you're glad you don't have porcupines around there?

You bet.

Where were you living when your hound was porcupined? It
sounds awful.

Um. Right here. I know we have them here and I know they are up in
Endicott - not downtown but out on the forested edges. I found a reference
to them in a Star-Gazette column - someone thought that there were no
porcupines north of the Chemung because they wouldn't cross the river. That
was refuted.

I just checked with DH - who just walked in from his morning
hunting/scouting trip - and he said he has seen them in the Arnot Forest.

Since they are mainly nocturnal, you probably just aren't seeing them. But
they are most certainly there.

Judy

Old October 25th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Melinda Shore wrote:
[]
Wow. Am I ever glad we don't have those things around here.
I've heard stories but this is the first time I've ever seen
photos.
http://snowrunner.blogspot.com/2007/...ke-placid.html

Pit Bull vs Porcupine

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._porcupine.htm

Old October 25th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I just checked with DH - who just walked in from his morning
hunting/scouting trip - and he said he has seen them in the Arnot Forest.

I had no idea. I've been to Arnot Forest, and I've spent a
huge amount of time up at Connecticut Hill, which is really
close to Arnot. I guess I tend to go by roadkill, and in my
several decades in Tompkins County I've never seen a dead
porcupine on the road. That's really interesting.

Is there some way to tell the difference between a porcupine
burrow and a groundhog hole from the outside? I'm wondering
what I've been missing.

Old October 25th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I guess I tend to go by roadkill, and in my
several decades in Tompkins County I've never seen a dead
porcupine on the road. That's really interesting.

He said it's probably not a large population, but they are certainly there.

Is there some way to tell the difference between a porcupine
burrow and a groundhog hole from the outside? I'm wondering
what I've been missing.

Quick answer - because I caught him just as he was walking out the door with
a friend. If there's more to add later, I'll post it.

Porcupines will go underground but it's more common for them to live in
hollow trees. He said a sure sign would be the accumulation of porcupine
dung around the base of the tree. He described it as fibrous, grape-sized,
oblong.

And as *I* recall, porcupines generally prefer evergreens - I'd say "pine"
but I admit that I tend to group all those species as "pine" - although they
will settle for some hardwoods.

I'll corner him for more information during lunch.

Judy