Dog saves girl from snake

Old October 31st 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

Default Dog saves girl from snake

Wonderful photo of the little girl at link posted
Dog saves girl from snake

Jennifer Eliot

31Oct07

A NEGLECTED doberman adopted by a loving family last week has saved their
toddler from being bitten by a deadly king brown snake.

Seventeen-month-old Charlotte Svilicic was playing in the garden of the
family's Atherton home on Monday when Khan the doberman grabbed her by the
back of the nappy and threw her clear of the approaching snake.

The heroic pooch was bitten by the snake after saving the toddler but is
recovering after a dose of anti-venom.

In an amazing twist, Khan's breeder revealed his grandfather had saved a
child in similar circumstances.

Charlotte's mother Catherine Svilicic yesterday told The Cairns Post Khan
had saved the child's life and the family would be forever indebted.

"If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it," Ms
Svilicic said.

"Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressive towards Charlotte
and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn't working, so he grabbed her by the
back of the nappy and threw her more than a metre.

"Charlotte looked pretty shocked and then Khan screamed.

"I realised quickly it was a snake and Khan had been trying to get in
between her and the snake before he threw her."

After being bitten, Khan ran inside and collapsed. He was given a shot of
anti-venom by a vet and had a tough night on Monday but managed to survive
and eat a large breakfast yesterday, despite the ordeal.

Mrs Svilicic said the family had only had Khan for four days, and they were
moved by Khan's selfless and protective act.

"When Kerry Kinder (Doberinling Boarding Kennels owner) rescued him, he was
starving, had broken ribs and had been beaten - he was an abused dog," she
said.

"It was borderline on whether or not he should be put down because he was in
such a bad way."

Mrs Svilicic said Khan would spend the rest of his life in luxury.

"If Khan wants a gold bowl, Khan gets it. We owe him for the rest of his
life,'' she said.

Mrs Kinder bred Khan and rescued him after discovering he was being
mistreated.

"He was starving for attention and wanted to be loved because he came from
an abused home, so I'm not surprised about what he has done at his new
home."

An Atherton snake expert believes Khan escape death because the snake was
not able to inject a large amount of venom.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/article...4400_news.html

Old October 31st 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nice article