older dog growls at owners

Old November 2nd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
blakesq

Default older dog growls at owners

I have a 13 year old dog, that starts to growl when she is trouble.
For instance if she gets into the closed trash can, or pulls food off
a shelf, then we will usually tell Greta, "what is this, bad dog."
lately she has really started growling a lot, and she lunged at my
wife. She didn't bite her or me, but it does look scary, and her
hackles go way up. How do we get her to stop this behavior. She has
always growled when in trouble, but it is getting worse. By the way,
she is about 40 lbs, 13 years old, healthy and active. I had her her
whole life, and only got married 2 years ago (i think she treats my
wife almost as an equal).

Thanks!

Blakesq

Old November 2nd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

blakesq said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I have a 13 year old dog, that starts to growl when she is
trouble.

As I said last night in rpd.behavior, what does your vet say?
The first step is to look for medical causes to behaviour
changes.

Old November 2nd 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Leshek

she is about 40 lbs, 13 years old, healthy and active. I had her her
whole life, and only got married 2 years ago

Big change in dog's life.

(i think she treats my wife almost as an equal).

Or maybe she thinks she is the boss at home.

Have you been to obedience training with the dog?
I'd send both girls to obedience training under professional, certified
trainer.

Do something before it is to late, what you are describing are serious
warning signs, do not let the dog go into the red zone.

Allocate 10min a day each for you and for your wife to do obedience
training, on the leash, simple things sit, down stay, with some treats or
just with affection as a reward. If this is not feasible in your lifestyle,
reinforce obedience throuout the day, make her sit, praise her, put her in
down, praise and treat occasionally.

Walks are very important, but well structured walks, stop at intersections,
have her sit, make sure to have her in follower position...

Lesio

Old November 3rd 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"blakesq" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 13 year old dog, that starts to growl when she is trouble.

How do we get her to stop this behavior.

......as Matt said, any change in behavior in an older dog warrants a visit
to the vet. If you've not had bloodwork done in a while, get a full blood
panel and urinalysis.

buglady
take out the dog before replying