Lucky update - No news is good Gnus?

Old November 2nd 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Lucky update - No news is good Gnus?

I just stopped by the Defenders of Animal Rights today, and inquired about
how Lucky was doing. I had taken her there September 17, and she was
adopted on the 21st. Well, they have not heard anything, and I hope that
means everything is going well. But I wish there were some feedback. I had
made a CD with pictures of Lucky (and Muttley as well), along with my posts
here and on AOL CBB. I left it with them, along with a small donation, and
asked them to forward it to her new owners. My contact information is
there, if they choose to get in touch with me.

There were some nice dogs there, as well as a few who were yappy or just
unresponsive. Maybe they needed some more socialization, or just some love,
but I didn't think I could do anything to help at this time. I spent a
while in their cat room, where upwards of 50 felines have free roam, and I
enjoyed petting them and having them jump in my lap.

Paul and Muttley

Old November 3rd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
I just stopped by the Defenders of Animal Rights today, and inquired about
how Lucky was doing. I had taken her there September 17, and she was
adopted on the 21st. Well, they have not heard anything, and I hope that
means everything is going well. But I wish there were some feedback. I had
made a CD with pictures of Lucky (and Muttley as well), along with my posts
here and on AOL CBB. I left it with them, along with a small donation, and
asked them to forward it to her new owners. My contact information is
there, if they choose to get in touch with me.

I'll bet shes doing GREAT!!

There were some nice dogs there, as well as a few who were yappy or just
unresponsive. Maybe they needed some more socialization, or just some
love, but I didn't think I could do anything to help at this time.

Those dogs made me very sad at animal control. So damaged that I had
trouble seeing how I'd help them.

I spent a while in their cat room, where upwards of 50 felines have free
roam, and I enjoyed petting them and having them jump in my lap.

Don't cats fight?

Old November 3rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Beth In Alaska" wrote:

Don't cats fight?

Depends on the cats and the situation.
Contrary to popular opinion, cats are NOT solitary animals. They *hunt*
alone, but given free choice will live in colonies. In my experience, within
a cat social group intact males may fight over females in heat, or you may
get occasional spats over food or comfy sleeping spots, but that's about it.
Resident cats will defend their territory against intruder cats from other
territories, and there can be squabbles over boundaries if you've got
adjacent territories, but solitary cats without a home territory can and do
join existing colonies.

My S.O. inherited a cat colony when his mother died - orginally there were
about 20 of them, males and females both, none fixed. The only time they
ever seriously fought was if a female was in heat. Because they hadn't ever
been given health care, over the last few years all the females have died
off, and the group is currently five or six intact males who live entirely
outdoors, and one altered male who's indoor-outdoor. The intact males are
very chummy and affectionate with each other. (They are, incidentally, all
related AFAIK.)

Old November 4th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

[...]

These dogs at DoAR, fortunately, are not in any danger of being euthanised,
unless they exhibit really dangerous behavior. The only dog I would have
been concerned about was the one that was barking so much, but I have heard
that it is often the ones that are quiet that can be unpredictable and
dangerous. Muttley was an example of that. He never barked at all until I
had him for a few days. He did bark and growl before he bit my handyman
friend. But he gave no warning when he attacked the dogs at obedience
class, which was one reason I though he might have some pit bull
characteristics.

Lucky seemed very docile and fearful when I first met her, but she did not
seem to be dangerous in any way. But I did experience her outbursts toward
other dogs on a few occasions, and she could present a rather menacing
appearance. She was much more a "people" dog than Muttley, so I'm sure she
will be fine with her new owners. She was also OK with cats, but there
could be problems with other dogs.

I spent a while in their cat room, where upwards of 50 felines have free
roam, and I enjoyed petting them and having them jump in my lap.

Don't cats fight?

A woman I know, who briefly kept Muttley when he was first rescued, has
probably at least 30 cats, and most of them live in harmony. But she has
some that she must keep separated, especially those that are still feral
and will not tolerate human contact. They are all rescued from various
situations, and some had severe injuries and illnesses. I enjoyed it when
some of her young cats climbed up my back and on my head, but I was
saddened when I learned they became sick and died. At least their short
lives concluded in friendly surroundings, and I will always have those few
moments of happy interaction to remember fondly.

Paul and Muttley