Dog fence

Old November 4th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
kanghuaiqiang

Default Dog fence

Dog fence
A dog fence can become rather expensive venture, so leave the idea of
fencing your entire premises and start by erecting a small dog fence
even though your yard sprawls over a larger area
http://www.69game.com.cn/digital/ani..._opicID=5.html

Old November 4th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"kanghuaiqiang" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dog fence
A dog fence can become rather expensive venture, so leave the idea of
fencing your entire premises and start by erecting a small dog fence
even though your yard sprawls over a larger area

It turns out that I AM rather interested this very morning about doing some
fencing. It's kind of an interesting story, so you might want to pull up a
chair. (Except that you probably already *are* sitting, seeing's as you're
at the computer and all.)

I already have a fence around a rather large area (100x100) but while it
keeps the dogs contained, the rabbits keep getting inside.

While this is great entertainment for the dogs, it's a little hard on the
plants that I spent good money for.

And worse than that, this morning, Spenser managed to catch a rabbit.
Sassy's leash restriction is eased somewhat but we still put her on a leash
to take her out into the fenced yard when it's too dark to make sure there
are no critters for her to chase.

So, DH went running with her so that she could be part of the "kill" while
still, technically, fulfilling the rules concerning her restrictions.

So, we have a dead rabbit. (YAY!!! Although, I would have preferred that
it got caught in one of the live-traps so it could become rabbit stew.) DH
disposes of the rabbit and takes the dogs back out into the yard for their
morning constitutional - since they were a little distracted the first trip.

Dogs come back inside and are pawing at their beards. Since we haven't had
coffee yet (AND DH was still on old time so we're technically up at our
regular time but *could* have slept another hour), we humans are a little
slow. I feed the dogs and pour the coffee and we head for the couch.

I finally take a look at what is making the dogs paw at their beards.

They were LOADED with fleas. That rabbit must have been sitting in the
middle of the back yard trying to commit suicide-by-dog just to get some
relief.

Because we so rarely have a flea problem, we don't treat the dogs regularly
with preventative. And since they're fairly naked most of the time (and
were just clipped a couple of weeks ago), we usually approach fleas with the
direct, manual approach.

I don't know how many fleas there were - because we're still checking the
dogs every half hour or so - but we killed about three dozen between us so
far.

And then, when they came back in from getting the morning paper, I found a
DEER tick on Spenser's ear. Not attached yet. We found one, recently
attached on Sassy a couple of weeks ago. And DH found one on himself a
couple of days ago - again, not yet attached.

So, what I'm wondering is, do you have a really, really, tiny fence that I
could put around my existing fence so that we could keep not only the
rabbits out but also the fleas and ticks? "Cause they really squick me out.
I'm not real crazy about fleas. And wood ticks and dog ticks give me the
creepies. But this is the first we have ever found deer ticks and I'd
really like to put a stop to it.

Thanks.

Judy

Old November 4th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Judy" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

Very interesting, entertaining story. Thanks for the laughs. Once the dogs
are parasite clear
(or even during the de-bugging procedures) I'd make sure the yard was
treated with IGR's and area sprays
Old November 4th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
So, what I'm wondering is, do you have a really, really, tiny fence that I
could put around my existing fence so that we could keep not only the
rabbits out but also the fleas and ticks? "Cause they really squick me out.
I'm not real crazy about fleas. And wood ticks and dog ticks give me the
creepies. But this is the first we have ever found deer ticks and I'd
really like to put a stop to it.

I thought deer ticks usually dropped from overhanging trees?

Anyway, my dogs kill lots of critters in the yard. In the
past n years they've gotten fleas once (fortunately the
fleas didn't establish themselves in the yard) and haven't
gotten any ticks at all. What they have gotten a couple of
times, though, is tapeworms.

Old November 4th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

(Melinda Shore) spoke these words of wisdom in

Judy wrote:
So, what I'm wondering is, do you have a really, really, tiny fence that
I could put around my existing fence so that we could keep not only the
rabbits out but also the fleas and ticks? "Cause they really squick me
out. I'm not real crazy about fleas. And wood ticks and dog ticks give
me the creepies. But this is the first we have ever found deer ticks
and I'd really like to put a stop to it.

I thought deer ticks usually dropped from overhanging trees?

Anyway, my dogs kill lots of critters in the yard. In the
past n years they've gotten fleas once (fortunately the
fleas didn't establish themselves in the yard) and haven't
gotten any ticks at all. What they have gotten a couple of
times, though, is tapeworms.

Tuck went out at 5:30 this morning, and he hasn't come in for breakfast
yet. Everytime I look out, he's got his nose to the ground tracking
something with great intensity. The surrounding fields have had crops
harvested and are now bare. Which means all habitation protective cover is
gone for the mice, voles and whatever critters resided there.

Which means they are now seeking new habitat, which most likely are my
barns, woodpiles, and seeking ways into my house, meaning they are crossing
my yard. And Tuck is intent on tracking every one of them down. His
prolonged intesity is inspiring, especially for a Search dog. It's the
drive I need to see. I just wish it wasn't being used on critters.
Old November 4th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I thought deer ticks usually dropped from overhanging trees?

I *believe* it has to be by some sort of direct contact. They don't jump,
like fleas. I didn't see the tick until they came back inside from getting
the paper so it's possible that he picked it up by brushing up against weeds
out along the road. Sassy seems to have gotten hers from a walk also. And
DH, who knows? Since it's turkey season, he spends a lot of time sitting
(literally) around in the woods. It does seem like that's the sort of
behavior that gets wood ticks but deer ticks are new around here. I know
they've always been close by but we honestly haven't ever seen one right
around here.

Last time DH was at the doctor's - for a three-year checkup - he asked about
Lyme Disease and was told that he honestly hadn't heard of a single case in
the area (county?). Since the guy's the head of Family Practice at Guthrie,
I tend to believe him. But I thought it was closer than that.

Anyway, my dogs kill lots of critters in the yard. In the
past n years they've gotten fleas once (fortunately the
fleas didn't establish themselves in the yard) and haven't
gotten any ticks at all. What they have gotten a couple of
times, though, is tapeworms.

We have very few flea problems. Back when we had a cat in the house (and
out), it was a constant thing but since George died back in the early 90s,
we haven't gotten another cat and haven't had fleas.

Because our dogs are so naked - and especially so right now - fleas are
usually pretty noticeable. So we paw the dogs over really well a few times
and are able to eliminate the fleas fairly quickly. I don't think we
normally kill more than two or three fleas a year.

It was kind of interesting because these fleas didn't seem to want to stay
on the dogs.

Are there different kind of fleas?

Judy

Old November 4th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
Once the dogs
are parasite clear
(or even during the de-bugging procedures) I'd make sure the yard was
treated with IGR's and area sprays

We *never* have a flea problem. I don't even like to treat the dogs with
the preventative because Spenser has had a reaction to the ones with tick
repellant. The straight flea ones seem to be okay but since the dogs are
naked and there is only an occasional flea (I'm thinking two or three a year
tops), I avoid the chemicals entirely.

But if we have to - what are the options for treating the yard?

Judy

Old November 4th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Judy" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
Once the dogs
are parasite clear
(or even during the de-bugging procedures) I'd make sure the yard was
treated with IGR's and area sprays

We *never* have a flea problem.

Yes, but you have one "now" and if the fleas were on that rabbit, they did
feed, and are now fertile.

Old November 4th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I *believe* it has to be by some sort of direct contact.

When in doubt, look it up, so I did. Deer tick hang out on
the tips of grasses and weeks and attach themselves to hosts
when the latter brush up against the grasses/weeds.

Last time DH was at the doctor's - for a three-year checkup - he asked about
Lyme Disease and was told that he honestly hadn't heard of a single case in
the area (county?). Since the guy's the head of Family Practice at Guthrie,
I tend to believe him. But I thought it was closer than
that.

There's actually a fair amount of it up here. I worked with
someone who had one son who was very, very sick (out of
school for a couple of years), another son who was infected
but not symptomatic, and she herself tested positive for
Lyme but was asymptomatic. I know of several other cases,
as well. If your husband is hunting up here he's probably
at some risk of exposure.

I lost a horse to Lyme disease about 10 years ago, although
we didn't know it at the time. She would have regular bouts
of neurological weirdness that we couldn't diagnose, despite
a really concerted effort to find out what was going on
(Cornell, chiropractors, etc.). Eventually she had to be
put down and during the autopsy Cornell found Lyme in her
synovial fluid. We contacted the person I'd bought her from
and it turned out that creep knew the horse had developed
Lyme in her original home in NJ but didn't bother to tell me
when I bought her. Live and learn. It was a really sad
experience, though.

Old November 4th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
We *never* have a flea problem.

Yes, but you have one "now" and if the fleas were on that rabbit, they did
feed, and are now fertile.

We've had a severe rabbit problem in the past couple of years. DH stopped
shooting them last summer when he passed the 50 mark in less than a month.
All shot from the back door and windows. So I really doubt that this is the
first rabbit infested with fleas that has been in our backyard.

The numbers did seem to be coming down and we actually dared to plant some
new shrubs out front. But as soon as it turned a little cold, the rabbits
started on them. So we set out the live traps, figuring that we'd get some
rabbits to eat. (Revenge is sweet, don't you know?) We caught two in one
trap the first night ** and there has been nothing since. And we really
haven't seen many around. Until this one.

**We have no idea how they both got in since it trips as soon as one rabbit
crosses. They must have gone in side by side. We actually only got one
rabbit to eat out of that one. Apparently she attacked the other rabbit -
it was dead and all torn up.

My concern is that most of the treatments contain permethrin - which as I
recall was what created the problem with Spenser and BioSpot.

Judy