Barking vs non-barking

Old November 4th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default Barking vs non-barking

Reading about Maybe the wonder puppy and some opinions on dogs barking,
made me think about my own preferences.

My first dog was a barker. He loved barking at people who went by "his"
alley, not just his house and yard. I was ok with that but there were
times when his barking was a little problem (like when we were gone for
10 weeks and the housesitter was not there as much as planned).

Teddy and Lindy were silent dogs. Rarely a peep out of them, even in
play. Then Lucy came along and she's an alert barker, plus she
squeals when excited, gives high pitched excited barks, and big
ferocious barks when evil dogs pass by (or worse - people without dogs -
very suspect!). She has a small high pitched bark to come in, and has
never, ever barked to go out Mainly because she doesn't care about
going out and could get by with 1-2x/day.

Franklin was another silent dog as far as territory or such, but barked
at other dogs to get them to play or give up a bone refereed play
between other dogs, and sang to many tv shows as well as the coffee
grinder.

Rudy - he barks at everything that moves. Totally unlike my first
Golden. He, like the others, doesn't bark to go out. He has "the
look". He also never barks to come in - just waits. His barking is
almost exclusively territorial (or semi - get over to the fence and pet
me dammit) and then the gruuffff sounds while wrestling with Lucy.

While I appreciated my silent duo, I realized that Lucy's alertness had
me sleeping a bit better at night and more comfortable when home alone.

What I hate is non-stop barking. The kind the dog behind me does when
she's miserable. Howling, moaning, barking, all day long. Or dogs at
flyball who NEVER shut up. Last weekend, I had to ask someone to move -
my ear was literally aching.

There's also the "asking" bark vs the "demanding" or "back talk" bark.
The prior is fine. The second/third? Not so fine. I would rather a
dog was persistent but had the right tone, than to have something not so
great happen. Maybe it's subtle and to individual dogs, but I think
barking is something that is best channeled rather than squashes
outright.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 5th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
What I hate is non-stop barking. The kind the dog behind me does when
she's miserable. Howling, moaning, barking, all day long. Or dogs at
flyball who NEVER shut up. Last weekend, I had to ask someone to move -
my ear was literally aching.

Arleigh Reynolds and someone else were joking (or were
they?) about ear damage to mushers. His was the biggest dog
yard I've ever been in and the noise while he was hooking up
was unbelievable. Not only was it impossible to carry on a
conversation, it was impossible to communicate with anything
other than sign language.

I've got a house full of roorooers. I'm fine with that.
Except for Saber they're generally quiet except for
dinnertime, and then it's Roofest, which is actually kind of
fun.

Old November 5th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

In my opinion, my dogs have always been close to perfect when it comes
to barking. They bark when there's something out there. They're quiet
otherwise. Cubbe comes close to obnoxious barking when there's
something small and furry outside, but then one need only lead her to a
room where she can't see out a window, and she settles down immediately.
If there's a person outside, the pitch of her bark goes down so we
know what she's communicating. We have a saying in this house: the dog
is not crazy. When we first got Cubbe, we sometimes thought she was
barking at nothing, that it was obsessive barking, but that turned out
not to be the case. If she's barking, she sees or hears something. It
might not be important to us, but it's out there. When the stimulus
goes, the dog gets quiet. I have always felt safer in the house with
the dog on alert.

--Lia

Old November 5th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

I've got a house full of roorooers. I'm fine with that.
Except for Saber they're generally quiet except for
dinnertime, and then it's Roofest, which is actually kind of
fun.

I love Cali's noises, no matter what they are with one exception.... when
they do on all day long. Somedays she is so quite that I wish she'd bark.
Her howl is particularily cute and I wish she'd do it more.

Maui's noises are ok too but not nearly as cute as Cali's.

Old November 5th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Julia Altshuler wrote:
I have always felt safer in the house with
the dog on alert.

Oppie had a very loud, deep, sharp bark. He was never an
incessant barker, but he could sure get your attention when (a)
someone was outside - a good, alerting bark and (b) he wanted
something (food) or was excited about something (walk or 'go').

He lost his bark when he had surgery for LP, since one of his
vocal cords is tied open. Now he huffs. And he no longer
whines, nor sings his 'morning song' - low pitched whines of
greeting when we _finally_ woke up in the morning.

I never thought I'd say that I miss his bark, but I do.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old November 5th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Janet Boss wrote:
[...]

Mine quiet down once crated. The BCs, anyhow. I have to cover Cooper's
crate with a sheet to get him to shut the hell up and lay down. It also
helps keep his freeze-y little self warm.

There's also the "asking" bark vs the "demanding" or "back talk" bark.
The prior is fine. The second/third? Not so fine. I would rather a
dog was persistent but had the right tone, than to have something not so
great happen. Maybe it's subtle and to individual dogs, but I think
barking is something that is best channeled rather than squashes
outright.

Zane will occasionally bark defiance at me when I refuse to throw a ball
that he dropped three feet away instead of placing it in my hand. It
interferes with him getting a running head start on the throw. When I
insist he moans and whines and carries on and then, ultimately,
complies. If he refuses, the game is over.

On the other hand I'm glad that he uses the Big Dog Bark when there's a
stranger at the door.

Old November 5th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

It was a while before Muttley barked at all. When he finally was
comfortable enough to utter some sounds, they were like low growls, but
then he progressed to his full-throated Big Dog barking. He's generally
pretty good about it, and barks only when there is something going on. But
that can just mean critters moving around out back, and he will bark or go
to the door to be let out (on a tether), and then he will BarkBarkBark and
run at whatever was out there, and then spend some time on "guard duty".
Then after a while he will usually bark to be let back in.

Earlier this evening he had been out for a while, and I heard him barking
more than usual, and found that he had wrapped his tether around a small
tree halfway up the hill, and it took some effort to get him unhooked. He
was much quieter inside for a while after that.

So, I'm pretty much OK with his "level" of barking. He will usually tone
down if I investigate what his barking is about. And I'm sure he often
hears things that I can't, so I feel safer with him as a warning system.

Paul and Muttley

Old November 5th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Janet Boss" wrote in message

There's also the "asking" bark vs the "demanding" or "back talk" bark.
The prior is fine. The second/third? Not so fine. I would rather a
dog was persistent but had the right tone, than to have something not so
great happen. Maybe it's subtle and to individual dogs, but I think
barking is something that is best channeled rather than squashes
outright.

Kavik was truly a barker. Not an alarm barker - he never barked for
intruders. He barked to communicate. He barked whenever he was happy,
which was all the time. He barked when he wanted attention - sometimes
asking and somoetimes demanding. He'd bark if the baby cried to tell me the
baby was crying (he thought I was deaf or something??). He'd bark if mike
and I were hugging and he wanted a hug too. He barked and barked and
barked. In the mornings especially, it drove me nuts because I am not a
morning person. We often argued over barking in the morning. As I've said
I wish I had debarked him when he was younger - he could have barked as much
as he liked and I would have been less grumpy trying to change shitty
diapers with a samoyed barking behind my head at 7 am.

Toklat is an alarm barker. He used to bark at every leaf that flipped down
the street but as he's gotten older and more confident and we've worked on
"Tok its fine - we hear that, its just the neighbors" he's gotten to be much
less reactive to noises outside. He does have a wildman barking level he
gets to (for example if there is a moose or a strange dog outside the
picture window) that cannot be broken by simple "Tok, I see that, its a
moose, leave it" and either crating or a water spray bottle needs to be
implemented.

Pirate didn't bark the first two weeks we had him. Toklat taught him the
joy of barking in the backyard at the neighbor dog (who is one cool
character- old akita mix, never makes a sound, just walks up to the corner
of the fence where my dogs are freaking out and pisses on their faces
through the fence !) and at imaginary intruders in the woods.

I actually miss kaviks dreadful, shriek of a bark. It was so high pitched
people used to catch up to us on a trail where he had been happily barking
and walking or skijoring (he barked continuously for the first couple of
miles...) and say "Oh, we thought that was a tiny yippy dog". His breeder,
whose heard many multitudes of samoyed bark and said it was the worst thing
she ever heard. I just gave her a look and said "You made it."

Old November 5th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Paul E. Schoen" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Earlier this evening he had been out for a while, and I heard him barking
more than usual, and found that he had wrapped his tether around a small
tree halfway up the hill, and it took some effort to get him unhooked. He
was much quieter inside for a while after that.

Why was he on a tether? You said you built a fence?
Old November 5th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

His breeder,
whose heard many multitudes of samoyed bark and said it was the worst
thing she ever heard. I just gave her a look and said "You made it."

LOL!!!

Barking [email protected] Dog behavior 6 August 20th 06 04:54 PM
barking norms Dog behavior 0 October 16th 04 05:51 PM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM