OT- Quilts

Old November 5th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default OT- Quilts

This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me. I
signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt
can be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

--Lia

Old November 5th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me. I
signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt
can be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

--Lia

I love the original journey. Very cool
Old November 5th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

diddy wrote:
Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me. I
signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt
can be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

--Lia

I love the original journey. Very cool

Your quilt is a great representation of your journey!

And the other quilts in the show are also fascinating.

Thanks for sharing this.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old November 5th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
diddy wrote:
Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me.

signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt
can be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

--Lia

I love the original journey. Very cool

Your quilt is a great representation of your journey!

And the other quilts in the show are also fascinating.

Thanks for sharing this.

FurPaw

I agree, you did a beautiful job, congratulations!

td

Old November 5th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me. I
signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt can
be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

Its a lovely piece of art. And family history.

Old November 5th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Terri wrote:

My SIL just returned from that event so perhaps she got photos of it
as she said she did take some where it was allowed.
Although she hasn't sent me any yet I'll look for your quilt as well
as send her this link.

On the quiltart mailing list, all the discussion for the past 2 weeks
has been about going to the Houston show or not going. It seemed like
everyone who wasn't going was asking everyone who was going to get a
photo of this quilt or that quilt for them. I thought of chiming in.
Plenty of people would have been glad to do the favor for me. Then I
decided I'd do an experiment. I wanted to see if there was something
about my quilt that stood out that made people want to photograph it
without my telling them to. The rules are clear that if anyone wants to
put photos on the web, they should put quiltmaker names up too. I
figured I'd wait, then google on myself and see what showed up. (The
link I sent y'all to was different. Carol volunteered to post journal
quilt pictures so I sent her the photo we took before mailing to Houston.)

In other words, your SIL is perfect for this experiment. She doesn't
know me so she wasn't looking for my quilt specifically amidst the 400
or so in the special display. Let's see if mine was caught in her radar.

--Lia

Old November 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

FurPaw wrote:

And the other quilts in the show are also fascinating.

Thanks for sharing this.

For those who are interested, links to still more quilts in the special
exhibit can be found he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/links.php

I don't know when I'll have a chance to work on it, but that quilt is
begging to be turned into a series of journeys in my mother's life. The
next one would have to be after she got out of highschool and did war
work traveling around the country typing Morse code into English to feed
the war bureaucracy. Another would the bus trip in the 50s cross
country to visit her brother in California. There are also trips to New
York city. I have a lot of quilts to make, but right now I'm dealing
with a mathematical challenge. Usually my big bed quilts are based on a
square grid. The one I'm making now is based on a 60 degree triangle
grid. It shouldn't be that hard, but everything about the way I cut,
measure and visualize has gone wonky.

--Lia

Old November 5th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Julia Altshuler said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

What I don't know about quilts could be immortalized on a wall
hanging or a bed cover.

That's one fine looking quilt.

Old November 6th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
This isn't a big deal amongst quilters, but it's a cool thing for me. I
signed up to put a 17" x 22" art quilt in the big show in Houston.
Normally one's quilt must be juried into the show. This was a special
exhibit where everyone who signed up was guaranteed a spot. My quilt can
be seen he

http://2fishweb.com/houston2007/

--Lia

Those are some neato keeno quilts. I wish I had the talent and patience to
make something like that.

Beth

Old November 6th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

bethgsd wrote:
I wish I had the talent and patience to
make something like that.

Quiltmaking takes talent and patience the way dog training takes talent
and patience. If you've never had a dog before and see someone winning
an obedience trial (or agility or herding, retrieving, whatever) and
think competing for prizes is the only worthy goal, then it's easy to
conclude that you don't have the talent or patience to do that. But if
you spend an afternoon with a friend with a dog and the friend shows you
how you can teach the dog to sit, you realize that you do have the
ability to interact with a dog in a positive way and train something useful.

Thus with quilting. I don't have the patience or talent to make good
quilts either. A long time ago, I did take a beginning class where I
learned how to sew 2 fabric squares together. That was as exciting and
rewarding to me as discovering that a dog will sit on my command. The
warm fuzzy feeling from doing that amount of sewing was enough to make
me feel confident enough to branch into triangles. Then blocks
(repeating design units). When the top was complete, it wasn't very
good, but it made sense to go ahead and layer and quilt it. One
finished quilt was thrilling, and I had all this leftover fabric so I
started another.

You don't need talent and patience. You need some fabric and a rotary
cutter mat set.

(Light bulb moment: The only equipment you need to practice dog
training is a dog. Quilting requires a palate of fabrics, cutting
tools, sewing tools, probably a sewing machine, an iron and board, a
sturdy table, space to put it, a mortgage on the house to pay for it all
....)

--Lia