Night-time mischief - can it be cured?

Old November 6th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Night-time mischief - can it be cured?

We have a soft-coated Wheaten terrier, nine or ten months old. She's
pretty good on the whole - she will sit, lie down, walk to heel, come
etc. on command. But she keeps "doing her doings" in the kitchen
overnight. In fact, over the past few weeks it's got worse. She's
let out regularly (she can't roam free outside because she escapes
over the garden wall) but her favourite trick is to go out, whine to
be let back in and then immediately urinate or worse.

It's getting pretty stressful - I end up clearing up her mess at least
twice a day. We're due to have a very expensive floor laid soon, and
there's no way she can be allowed to ruin that. My late father would
have "rubbed her nose in it" but the books say that it's not very
effective. We've tried crate training, which seems to assume that
dogs won't foul their own nest. Well, not Lolly. When we tried it
she did her business and then, when trying to escape, managed to cover
herself, her bedding and the surrounding walls in her ordure.

If our neighbours weren't so close, and one of them chronically ill,
I'd put her in an outside kennel. But when we got her she howled all
night for a week, and I think the neighbours wouldn't thank us if we
imposed that! If we don't get this sorted she'll have to be rehomed,
which would break my boys' hearts.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Edward

Old November 6th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

diddy wrote:

Why not crate her when you aren't watching her?

Because the dog will relieve herself in the crate.

--
Shelly
Old November 6th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

wrote in message:

but her favourite trick is to go out, whine to
be let back in and then immediately urinate or worse.

It doesn't seem to me like she knows that she needs to do her business
outside. How have you gone about teaching her that she should relive
herself outside? Do you take her out on leash, stay with her until she
goes, and reward her (praise/treat/play) for going? Does she have a cue for
relieving herself?

How often is she fed? How often does she have the opportunity to go out?
What time is her last walk, and when does she get to go out in the morning?
Have you figured out at what point during the night she's
urinating/defecating? Does she have access to you at night, and does she
communicate at all that she needs to go out?

Suja

Old November 6th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 6 Nov, 19:50, "Suja" wrote:
wrote in message:
but her favourite trick is to go out, whine to
be let back in and then immediately urinate or worse.

It doesn't seem to me like she knows that she needs to do her business
outside. How have you gone about teaching her that she should relive
herself outside? Do you take her out on leash, stay with her until she
goes, and reward her (praise/treat/play) for going?

She's been to puppy training, where we were taught to give her a code
word - in her case "quick quick", and to reward her when she "went".
When we take her out in the day she pretty reliably "goes" on command,
but she doesn't like going out on the lead, and she likes even less
relieving herself on the lead.

Does she have a cue for
relieving herself?

Not reliably - she'll sometimes scratch at the door, or whine, but
it's often because she's spotted the cat outside.

How often is she fed?

Once a day, at 0800.

How often does she have the opportunity to go out?

She gets at least three walks a day, and goes out at least half a
dozen times.

What time is her last walk,

Last night I took her out at about 2300; she did both kinds of
business.

and when does she get to go out in the morning?

When someone - usually me - gets up. I normally rise at 0715.

Have you figured out at what point during the night she's
urinating/defecating?

No.

Does she have access to you at night, and does she
communicate at all that she needs to go out?

No. She sleeps downstairs in the kitchen though she has the run of
the ground floor. She isn't allowed upstairs, for various reasons
including the smell of dog in bedrooms, she doesn't negotiate stairs
very well etc. Her sleeping anywhere near my bed is not an option. I
admit I haven't thought of a physical problem - might be worth getting
that checked out, though it's not so much her micturation as her
dumping I find I take issue with. No, I haven't tried getting up in
the middle of the night to see if that helps - because it
wouldn't ;¬} Well, not me at any rate.

Edward

Old November 6th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

It sounds like she needs to be housetrained from scratch.

Clean up all mistakes quickly and dispationately with Nature's Miracle.
Establish a schedule for food, water and walks.
Watch her for cues for her natural schedule. She should be magically
outside every time she needs to go.
Set an alarm so you can take her outside at night.
If you're sure you're not willing to do that, get a sleeping bag and
sleep outside with her.
Watch her like a hawk. Tie her leash around your waist if you have to.
Take her outside the moment it looks like she's thinking of urinating.
Reward successful urinating outside.
Take a urine soaked newspaper outside or try putting pee pads outside.
You want to establish an olfactory cue for her that outside is the right
place.

--Lia

Old November 6th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Nov 6, 12:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

put her nose right into the pee or poop, say NO loudly, and smack her
a good one on the snout or forehead. She'll learn quickly.

Old November 7th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.pets.dogs.labrador,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,alt.animals.dog
[email protected]

On 6 Nov, 20:54,
"Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea "
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote:
HOWEDY Edward,

On Nov 6, 2:30 pm, wrote:

Welcome to Human And Animal Behavior Forensic
Sciences Research Laboratory. I'm Jerry Howe,
Director Of Research, a.k.a., The Sincerely
Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing
Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy, Goat, Ferret,
Monkey, SpHOWES, And Horsey Wizard {}: ~ )

Here's my website:http://relinkz.com/EffectiveNonPhysicalDogTraininAIN'TLUCK777It'sSCIE ...

I've taken a look at your site - boy, you sure like to bury the
nuggets! Still, you offer some interesting ideas and you clearly know
your stuff, so I'm going to give them a try. Lolly is a great family
dog and with your help maybe we can lick this problem.

Edward