Honoring the possession rules

Old November 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Honoring the possession rules

I just gave the dogs a hank of cheese a piece. The beagle wolfed hers down.
The Elkhounds always share goodies with her, but if she's there first, the
Elkhounds lay down and watch her, hoping by the time she leaves, there is a
smell left.

Tuck took his hank of cheese and wanted to savor it. The beagle moved in
on his prize and Tuck not wishing to share, tried to move himself between
her and the cheese.
She persisted, and Tuck realized he could not fend her off. He put a paw on
her head, and finally grabbed his hank of cheese and took it off in the
bedroom, climbed a ladder and savored it there (the cheese was only a 1" X
1" square, so it's not like it was something major) Tuck hasn't been back
up that ladder since Riley (neighbors dog that I babysat for a week last
summer) sent him up there in refuge last august. Watching the dynamics as
the dogs try to retain the honor system, when one dog has no honor is
interesting.
Old November 7th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

Tuck took his hank of cheese and wanted to savor it. The beagle moved in
on his prize and Tuck not wishing to share, tried to move himself between
her and the cheese.

I think that you need a Khan. No Beagle in its right mind (or not so right
mind) is going to actually try and take anything away from him. She may try
once, but it will be the first and last time, and I can promise no harm will
come to her. She will however, get the message, loud and clear.

Suja

Old November 7th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Tuck took his hank of cheese and wanted to savor it. The beagle moved
in on his prize and Tuck not wishing to share, tried to move himself
between her and the cheese.

I think that you need a Khan. No Beagle in its right mind (or not so
right mind) is going to actually try and take anything away from him.
She may try once, but it will be the first and last time, and I can
promise no harm will come to her. She will however, get the message,
loud and clear.

Suja

Tuck is at the bottom of the pack here. But Reka, who rules the roost,
still honors. She will lay down and watch for a vacancy, but her honor is
definitely in place. THIS beagle has no honor.

I'm sure Khan would put the beagle in her place. The beagle wouldn't have
even challenged Reka. I was surprised to see Tuck even protest the beagle's
encroachment, but he must have really wanted that cheese.
Old November 7th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

"diddy" none wrote in message:

Tuck took his hank of cheese and wanted to savor it

Sorry - I've never heard this before - "hank"?

--
Janet Boss
Old November 7th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom
in :

"diddy" none wrote in message:

Tuck took his hank of cheese and wanted to savor it

Sorry - I've never heard this before - "hank"?

It was a piece of cheese that I tore off a block of cheese. Hank is usually
a piece torn off a larger piece but it's generally implied that it's larger
than what I offered the dogs. It was a little piece of cheese i split three
ways. Each about 1" by 1" appx

The other dogs swallowed theirs, but Tuck, the "snappy grabber", took his
off to savor and lick until it was gone.
Old November 7th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message:

The other dogs swallowed theirs, but Tuck, the "snappy grabber", took

his
off to savor and lick until it was gone.

Whatever could you have been thinking, offering such high value treats to
Mr. Teeth? Do you still have all your fingers intact, or are you typing
with your toes?

Suja

Makes one wonder, doesn't it? A moment of senility, I guess.

Old November 7th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Sorry - I've never heard this before - "hank"?

String cheese?

Old November 7th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

(Melinda Shore) spoke these words of wisdom in news:fgrali

Janet Boss wrote:
Sorry - I've never heard this before - "hank"?

String cheese?

Cheddar
Old November 7th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

Sorry - I've never heard this before - "hank"?

It's a measure for yarn. I've seen it used for other things, like
hair and fabric, in which case it just means a "chunk" or "handful."
So sure, why not a hank of cheese?

--
Shelly

silent post honoring peejoe's Reason -2005 -RIP diddy Dog behavior 3 March 14th 05 10:24 PM
Rules for dogs... Jake Dog behavior 0 April 15th 04 09:53 PM
Rules for dogs... Jake Dog behavior 0 April 15th 04 09:53 PM
New Rules for the Dog Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 4 August 24th 03 11:02 PM
New Rules for the Dog Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 0 August 24th 03 02:58 AM