Raw Dog Food And Your Pet

Old November 9th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
russell joyce

Default Raw Dog Food And Your Pet

You've probably heard about raw dog food and wondered what all the hub-
bub is about and if you should feed it to your dog. The truth is that
a raw food diet is very good for your dog. This is because their
natural diet in the wild was mainly raw meat.
Even when they were domesticated by man to be companions and working
dogs, they thrived on healthy scraps that usually included raw off
cuts and bones. As our modern diet has deteriorated to be a high
sugar, high fat and high processed food diet, so, too, have the diets
of our animals. It should therefore be no surprise that the diseases
that increasingly afflict us have also spiraled to near epidemic
levels in dogs.
Canine diabetes is one such example of a modern illness that has
seriously impacted dogs. The incidence of cancer in dogs is even
higher. Domestic pets are dependent upon their owners to feed them and
care for them and the majority of dog owners have blithely trusted
modern marketing and modern thinking and fed their animals a diabetes
inducing diet. Combined with lack of exercise, this modern, processed
diet has led to our dog's sharing in our illnesses. Feeding your dog
raw dog food along with vegetable scraps, crushed egg shells, sardines
for the essential fatty acids and the occasional cooked whole grains
(complex carbohydrates) sets your dog up for the best possible
health....

http://groups.google.com/group/dogfoodmave

Old November 9th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

russell joyce wrote:
You've probably heard about raw dog food and wondered what all the hub-
bub is about and if you should feed it to your dog. The truth is that
a raw food diet is very good for your dog. This is because their
natural diet in the wild was mainly raw meat.

My vet says that modern sanitized dog foods are the main reason why dogs
are living longer and with better health these days, and that unless you
are willing to take far more effort in making sure their food is safe
than you need to in order to feed them cooked foods, you shouldn't do it.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old November 10th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

My vet says that modern sanitized dog foods are the main reason why dogs
are living longer and with better health these days, and that unless you
are willing to take far more effort in making sure their food is safe than
you need to in order to feed them cooked foods, you shouldn't do it.

Your vet is correct.

Ask diddy about her awful experience with a chicken bone.

flick 100785

Old November 11th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

russell joyce schrieb:
[...]

Fresh food has saved me thousands in veterinary bills (my first dog ran
up almost a thousand in the first nine months we had him, with digestive
problems ranging from weapon-grade farts to diarrhoea-induced
dehydration that put him on a drip in the clinic). It has also made a
big difference to both my dogs' overall wellbeing. I'd recommend it to
anyone willing to read up on the various approaches proposed by people
with the necessary experience.
I checked out the link above but couldn't find clear information on how
to feed fresh food. So here are a couple of links that do give clear
guidelines:

www.starlitt.com/barf.html
www.rawlearning.com/
http://k9joy.com/education/feedyourdog.php
www.rawmeatybones.com

Best,
Sally

Old November 12th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
elegy wrote:
i fed two dogs 100% raw (prey-model) for about 8 months, and while
they enjoyed it and did well on it, i didn't see the miraculous
results that i see claimed so frequently.

My guess is that the people who see huge improvement
probably weren't feeding that well beforehand and would have
seen big improvements if they'd switched to a better
commercial feed, too.

Old November 12th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

elegy wrote:

it very well could be. luce was eating evo and mushroom was eating
canidae when i switched to raw.

They could have been allergic to something in the food. I remember on
the border collie list, this one poor rescue dog had horrible allergies
and they finally cleared up when he went on a raw food diet.

Old November 14th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Nov 9, 7:19 am, russell joyce wrote:
[...]

I work in the veterinary field, and while 'fresh' or home-cooked
meals are fine if they provide the necessary dietary requirements for
dogs, raw diets are NOT a good idea. We have had several clients that
insist that dogs are animals and should be allowed to eat the types of
raw diets found in the wild. These clients would through raw chickens
to their pets to eat. The bottom line is that these animals have been
domesticated, their GI systems have changed.
These dogs had chronic skin and allergy problems, vomiting, diarrhea,
other GI issues, and gastric and esophageal foreign bodies. One of
them went through a total hip replacement and over $15,000 later she
ended up without the hip and chronically lame. The bacteria in her
hip was the same as that cultured from the raw diet her mother brought
us a sample of. Once she was fed a cooked diet, her skin cleared up
and the chronic infection in her hip resolved.
I agree that a proper natural or home cooked diet is fine, just not a
raw diet. Make sure to do research or contact a holistic veterinarian
for more information. I know that Dr. Kim Danoff at www.vetrehab.org
is very learned in this area

Old November 14th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
oups.com...
raw diets are NOT a good idea. We have had several clients that
insist that dogs are animals and should be allowed to eat the types of
raw diets found in the wild. These clients would through raw chickens
to their pets to eat.

.........that's not a raw diet, that's a person throwing chickens at their
dog.

The bottom line is that these animals have been
domesticated, their GI systems have changed.

.........hogwash

These dogs had chronic skin and allergy problems, vomiting, diarrhea,
other GI issues, and gastric and esophageal foreign bodies.

........sorry, giving vague examples of anything is not helpful, just fear
mongering. So today, you'd blandly tell me all commercial food is perfectly
safe and best for a pet? It's not black and white.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 18th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

The only American brand I tried was Timberwolf, and it made no
difference to my dog. The best result I had from commercial food was
with a top-of-the-range German brand that is grain-free and
"cold-pressed", but even then there was flatulence and huge amounts of poo.

After trying a couple of approaches to raw feeding before hitting on the
kind of mix that suits him best, I suspect the reason that my dog did so
badly on all the commercial food I tried was that he can't cope with
disproportionately high amounts of non-muscular organs and connective
tissue. He suffered from similar digestive problems when I fed him raw
lung, windpipe, etc.

Not all dogs are so sensitive, of course, although I do wonder sometimes
if low-quality animal protein sources (excessive connective tissue,
miniscule amounts of muscle meat) might be to blame for some of the
problems that can be seen in both commercially fed and raw-fed dogs.

Personally, I think the most important principle in any case is not to
give the same thing every day for months on end.

Sally

elegy schrieb: