Balim loves boiled potatoes

Old November 11th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

Default Balim loves boiled potatoes

While slicing up boiled potatoes for a salad this evening, I dropped one of
the slices on the floor accidentally. Balim (1 yo English cocker spaniel),
who was watching the proceedings intently, was on it like a flash and
slurped it up, eagerly and merrily looking for more as cockers are wont to
do. Intrigued, I gave her a couple more slices one at a time and they
disappeared just as fast.

As I rarely eat potatoes myself (my low-carb thing), I'd never noticed this
before. According to my wife however, whenever she cooks potatoes, a large
percentage of the total goes to Balim.

Are there any health risks in this insofar as Balim is concerned?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old November 12th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

Potatoes are high in carbs and will cause a dog to get fat. I wouldn't over
indulge him in them.

Celeste

Old November 12th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article UjZZi.3769$Vp3.1607@trnddc05, Spot wrote:
Potatoes are high in carbs and will cause a dog to get fat.

High in carbs: yes. Cause something to get fat: no.

Glucose is the primary energy source for the brain, which
uses a lot of it, and I think explains a lot around this
particular myth.

Old November 12th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

It's not a myth obviously you are not diabetic. Carbs cause glucose yes,
but if you don't burn off that glucose your stores it and you get fat. I
simply pointed out that he shouldn't over indulge the dog with potatoes.
Anything carb based done in excess will cause the dog to get fat the same as
it does humans.

Celeste

Old November 12th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Spot" wrote in

Anything carb based done in excess will cause the dog to get fat
the same as it does humans.

You are ignoring part of the equation. Do you have any idea how much
exercise Balim gets? How much potato she gets, in relation to her
size? How much potato she gets in relation to her other food? How
much a "large percentage" *is*? How often this occurs? Whether or
not her other food is cut back to compensate? There's a lot of
territory between "ate boiled potatoes" and "gets fat."

FWIW, I'd be careful with the nightshades with an older dog, as
they've been linked to arthritis pain, but at her age, I wouldn't
think that a reasonable amount of boiled potato would be likely to
harm her. Reasonable being that it doesn't make up a significant
portion of her diet (IIRC under 10% is the number I've seen quoted).

--
Shelly
Old November 12th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article HOZZi.17759$CI1.8179@trnddc03, Spot wrote:
It's not a myth obviously you are not diabetic.

???

Carbs cause glucose yes,
but if you don't burn off that glucose your stores it and you get fat.

Right! If you take in more protein than you burn it turns
into fat, too. It's not the carbs, it's the balance between
calories in and calories out.

Old November 12th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Spot" wrote in message:

but if you don't burn off that glucose your stores it and you get fat.

Same holds true of proteins and fats too.

Anything carb based done in excess will cause the dog to get fat the same

as
it does humans.

Any food, in excess, will cause the person/dog to gain weight. It's about
calories in/calories out. There are reasons to eat a certain way so that
the calories come from certain food sources, but that has to do with
nutrition.

Personally, I have *never* understood the whole carbs will automagically
make you fat type of theory. There are entire countries where people
primarily eat carbs, and obesity is not really much of an issue.

Suja

Old November 12th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Personally, I have *never* understood the whole carbs will automagically
make you fat type of theory. There are entire countries where people
primarily eat carbs, and obesity is not really much of an issue.

Endurance athletes pack away the carbohydrates and those
people tend to be very thin. Lots of calories out.

I think it's a combination of things. I guess weight loss
is really hard for a lot of people and so there's a tendency
to look for magic solutions. Also, simple carbs well tend
to make you feel hungry again sooner, so there's that.

Old November 13th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Davina Stuart

I've not heard of a problem with cooked potatoes (mine love them too..) but
raw potato can be a problem.. especially if they are still a little green,
so best not to give them those.
just don't over do it

Davina

Old November 13th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Nov 11, 12:38 pm, "Opinicus" wrote:
While slicing up boiled potatoes for a salad this evening, I dropped one of
the slices on the floor accidentally. Balim (1 yo English cocker spaniel),
who was watching the proceedings intently, was on it like a flash and
slurped it up, eagerly and merrily looking for more as cockers are wont to
do. Intrigued, I gave her a couple more slices one at a time and they
disappeared just as fast.

As I rarely eat potatoes myself (my low-carb thing), I'd never noticed this
before. According to my wife however, whenever she cooks potatoes, a large
percentage of the total goes to Balim.

Are there any health risks in this insofar as Balim is concerned?

--
Bobhttp://www.kanyak.com

Amazing how a simple question never gets a simple answer eh?

No problem, potatoes are good.