North Dakota Report

Old November 11th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default North Dakota Report

My husband is back from North Dakota with Miss Reka. He had been invited
on a trip, with free lodging at a hunting lodge where the fare is generally
$400 a day per person to hunt wild pheasants. This was a thank you from a
hunting organization for his work and efforts to the association. When he
showed up at the hunting lodge with an Elkhound, people wondered why he
brought his pet dog along. They chided him for his unusual dog as they
bragged on their own.

All week long, Reka alerted to pheasants, hunted close, and retrieved birds
and simply did her job. While other hunters were yelling and whistling at
their dogs scaring the birds clear out of the county, yet unable to keep
their dogs working close enough for practical work, Reka rarely needed
reminders, hunted silently and simply got the job done. Every evening, my
husband returned to the lodge with his limit, and his trustworthy faithful
elkhound hunting dog. He never had to apologize for her manners. By the end
of the week, she was the admiration of the lodge. She is charming to boot
and stole the hearts of everyone she met. She hunted hard, she hunted
close. She was flawless in her performance. Her only downfall... she sheds!
Old November 11th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

snip
--------------------
Maybe he has started a new fad.

Old November 11th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"pfoley" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

perhaps.

DH went and although his traveling partner took two springer spaniels, one
for DH, and one for his partner, DH insisted on taking Reka. His partner
did not understand WHY. His were seasoned hunting dogs. DH assured him that
his was as well. And it was a long trip out there, while his traveling
partner bragged on his dogs and scoffed at DH's suspect preference.
DH was not worried about how Miss Reka would perform, nor her manners, nor
her hunting abilities. For a man who has spend all of our years of marriage
complaining of Elkhound hair, he wanted to take Reka. When he came home,
he's done nothing but sing praises of Reka and how proud he was of her, and
how she showed up all those fancy bird dogs. He rarely if ever had to say a
word to her. And he NEVER had to yell at her. She worked beautifully with
him as a team effort.
DH said while all the other dogs were busting birds way out of shot range,
Reka just did her business and pride welled in his chest everytime he
angered at the other hunters dogs behaviors.

Reka was well respected and highly praised. And DH came home VERY
proud of her. In spite of the ribbing that he got when he showed up with
her, she quickly proved the ribbing was unjustified. He was so proud that
when he came home, he bragged on her, and tears welled in his eyes, and he
said "Thanks" for allowing me to take her.

It wasn't that he had to take her because he didn't have any other dogs
available. On arrival, People took pity on him and offered him any dog BUT
his, when he showed up with Reka as "all he had". And he said, "No
thanks, She'll be fine" She quickly proved him right. He WANTED to take
her, because he's been in pheasant country before, with a lot of idiot
dogs, and a lot of idiot hunters, and he said, I have a dog that can do
better. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Old November 11th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"pfoley" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I was just looking at the picture of Reka, as a pup, fetching keys. As I
read this report, tears welled up in my eyes too. Your beauty queen dog,
your Marilyn Monroe dog, your charming clown, is also your consummate
working dog. What a combination, how proud of her you must be.

She has come into her own, hasn't she?
Karla

Old November 12th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Wow, diddy. Thanks for sharing this!

flick 100785

Old November 12th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"filly" spoke these words of wisdom in news:zFLZi.4115
$cD.2775@trndny08:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"pfoley" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I AM very proud of her. She's not the spectacular showman that Tuck is. But
she's funny. And she showed them!

The funniest thing is, this must have been the showcase for the unusual,
because DH said the next best bird dog there was a rat terrier. He did not
carry enough weight, or have the leg length to get through the heavy cover
as rapidly as the bird digs did, forcing him to work close. He also did not
need continually hacked on to do his job. He did what he was told without
repeat commands waaaayy across a feild scaring off birds used to being
hunted, clueing the birds what was up.
He didn't retrieve the birds, but he certainly found them when shot. And
then reported to his owner when he did. He had excellent bird finding
ability.

He posessed every attribute that DH admires in a hunting dog except he was
too little to retrieve birds. He had tons of heart.

He and Reka done good.
Old November 12th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..

And i think he's about to lose his dog. The Torb keeps breaking
on Cappy-the-beagle. Every once in awhile she's waking up and screaming.
Then drifts back to sleep. I predict another run to the ER vet this
evening. It's possible we won't bring her home.

I'm so sorry.

flick 100785

Old November 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

montana wildhack spoke these words of wisdom
in news:2007111119435450073-montana@wildhackcominvalid:

On 2007-11-11 16:18:40 -0500, diddy none said:

he said, I have a dog that can do better.

I am assuming that while they were in North Dakota without you, Reka ate?

I like that he took the more experienced dog and I wonder if she's not
going to turn out to be his fur ball after all...

She's mine. But she always loved him best. And he's awfully proud of her
right now. And i think he's about to lose his dog. The Torb keeps breaking
Old November 12th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article 2007111120392543658-montana@wildhackcominvalid,

On 2007-11-11 19:52:16 -0500, diddy none said:

Every once in awhile she's waking up and screaming. Then drifts back to
sleep. I predict another run to the ER vet this evening. It's possible
we won't bring her home.

Aw hell. I'm really sorry things aren't going better.

Me, too. I wanted to respond to the earlier thread but didn't know what
to say...this doesn't sound good.
--
Bright eyes/burning like fire, * * * * * | Kevin Michael Vail
Bright eyes/how can you close and fail?* |
Old November 12th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

On 2007-11-11 19:52:16 -0500, diddy none said:

Every once in awhile she's waking up and screaming. Then drifts back
to sleep. I predict another run to the ER vet this evening. It's
possible we won't bring her home.

Aw hell. I'm really sorry things aren't going better.

Ah, me too. I know how hard it is for you.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.