dogs and babies

Old November 16th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

Default dogs and babies

So on the corgi list someone posted that their baby has started crawling and
the corgi has started herding the baby.

This caused a huge uproar - apparently this dog feels the baby is lower than
he on the totem pole and its a very dangerous situation. The dog must be
made to beleive that the child is his alpha immediately.

Now, I've had dogs a while and I've had a 10 month old and I have NO idea
how I could possibly have gotten Kavik and Tok to think Monk was anything
other than a baby. Could I have the baby control access to resources? Take
them to obedience class?

I understand that in some cases where a dog isnt' giving a child a "puppy
pass" you could have issues, but in this case there was no other information
offered other than the herding info - no indication of any issue between the
baby and the dog. Additionally, how could one make the dog see the baby as
"alpha"?

What do you think?

Old November 16th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Beth In Alaska wrote:
What do you think?

I agree that the questions is being framed wrong
("alpha?"). I don't think the Corgi should be herding the
baby (duh) but it's not because it's a pack structure
question.

I know you don't like Jean Donaldson, but if you haven't
taken a look at that video clip I referred to earlier this
week you might enjoy it (or might not, but still ... )
http://www.dogwise.com/video/video.cfm?itemid=DTB966

Old November 16th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This caused a huge uproar - apparently this dog feels the
baby is lower than he on the totem pole and its a very
dangerous situation. The dog must be made to beleive that
the child is his alpha immediately.

The baby should roll the dog.

Seriously, the herding stuff must stop, probably through
management at first, training ASAP. Have these people been
through any sort of obedience training with the dog?

And it's not a pack or alpha thing - just a lack of manners and
respect for others. You mention that this has brought on
concern for Monk/Pirate interaction - is this what's going on in
your house, too? I imagine that bringing in a dog after the
infant presents more issues than vice versa.

Old November 16th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This caused a huge uproar - apparently this dog feels the
baby is lower than he on the totem pole and its a very
dangerous situation. The dog must be made to beleive that
the child is his alpha immediately.

The baby should roll the dog.

Seriously, the herding stuff must stop, probably through
management at first, training ASAP. Have these people been
through any sort of obedience training with the dog?

but why?? its not harming the child

And it's not a pack or alpha thing - just a lack of manners and
respect for others. You mention that this has brought on
concern for Monk/Pirate interaction - is this what's going on in
your house, too? I imagine that bringing in a dog after the
infant presents more issues than vice versa.

no problems except my son is too rough with pirate on occasion. he's been
harder to train than any dog.
pirate is IDEAL for us partiall because he's so tolerant of ben

Old November 16th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Beth In Alaska wrote:
What do you think?

I agree that the questions is being framed wrong
("alpha?"). I don't think the Corgi should be herding the
baby (duh) but it's not because it's a pack structure
question.

i've known shelties who herded kids away from the street - the dog isn't
nipping, he's just barking and running. perhaps its a play behavior. i'm
not sure its a big deal at all - and do not know the owners except they
were concerned about the barking. The reaction of the corgi people was
oddly over the top but it sounds like corgi's can be VERY bossy, and they
have learned from experience things I have not had to . Luckily Pirate is
NOT like this.

I know you don't like Jean Donaldson, but if you haven't
taken a look at that video clip I referred to earlier this
week you might enjoy it (or might not, but still ... )
http://www.dogwise.com/video/video.cfm?itemid=DTB966

i don't dislike her , i just didnt like the one book i read

Old November 16th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

I know you don't like Jean Donaldson, but if you haven't
taken a look at that video clip I referred to earlier this
week you might enjoy it (or might not, but still ... )
http://www.dogwise.com/video/video.cfm?itemid=DTB966

and oh yeah- sure I will watch -the more you know the more you know

Old November 16th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message:

but why?? its not harming the child

It can be. It is controlling behavior, and some herding dogs do nip to keep
whatever is being herded in check. I would not allow it, not when it comes
to kids.

Suja

Old November 16th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Seriously, the herding stuff must stop, probably through
management at first, training ASAP. Have these people
been through any sort of obedience training with the dog?

but why?? its not harming the child

It's not harming the child now. Honestly, herding kids and all
that entails can be a big concern - all the way from the dog
nipping heels to deciding how the kid(s) should be contained to
interpreting roughhouse behaviour between he and his friends.
Herding involves controlling the behaviour of the herdees - even
with sheep this is done under the control and command of a human
and not left up to the dog.

Old November 16th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Suja" wrote in message

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message:

but why?? its not harming the child

It can be. It is controlling behavior, and some herding dogs do nip to
keep
whatever is being herded in check. I would not allow it, not when it
comes
to kids.

I guess I'd have to see it. I coudl see pirate "herding" monk in the
backyard and it wouldn't phase me one iota

Old November 17th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

i've known shelties who herded kids away from the street - the dog isn't
nipping, he's just barking and running. perhaps its a play behavior. i'm
not sure its a big deal at all - and do not know the owners except they
were concerned about the barking. The reaction of the corgi people was
oddly over the top but it sounds like corgi's can be VERY bossy, and they
have learned from experience things I have not had to . Luckily Pirate is
NOT like this.

Here is one of my Trip plugs.

The woman across the street often babysits her grandson. One day Trip and I
were out front doing something when Gavin ran into the road. Trip
immediatly gently nudged him back to his Grandma's yard. I live at the dead
end part of a dead end street or I wouldn't be cavalier about letting my
dogs be with me in the unfenced front yard.

Yes, corgis can be bossy boots. I would wonder if these people have
otherwise good control over their dog.

Beth

Dogs and babies... Marie Dog behavior 12 March 25th 04 10:01 PM
Dogs and babies... Marie Dog behavior 0 March 25th 04 06:39 PM
Dogs and babies... Marie Dog behavior 0 March 25th 04 06:39 PM
Dogs and babies... Marie Dog behavior 0 March 25th 04 06:39 PM