incorruptible character

Old November 16th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default incorruptible character

Ok I took a short 5 sec video of Tuck [AKA Mr Snappy-Grabby] retrieving the
duck leg (recreated) that I had so much grief with overnight.

my definition of incorruptible character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEH9jlnN4Y
Old November 16th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

my definition of incorruptible character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEH9jlnN4Y

What a good dog! Also, beautiful floor.

Wondering out loud. If he has been rewarded for bringing stuff to you, is
it possible that he took it (or at least brought it to you) with the
expectation of getting something in return?

Suja

Old November 16th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message:

my definition of incorruptible character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEH9jlnN4Y

What a good dog! Also, beautiful floor.

Wondering out loud. If he has been rewarded for bringing stuff to you,

is
it possible that he took it (or at least brought it to you) with the
expectation of getting something in return?

Suja

a Very REAL potential, yes. Danny was trained to find my checkbook. Years
later, the checkbook started coming up missing....

For no reason. Not misplaced. Just missing.

Danny realized the longer the check book was missing, the more valuable it
became. We never could prove he was the one hiding it, but he was the only
one capable. And several days later, he would bring it back in pieces.
Checkbook cover, check register, checks. And he expected to be remunerated
for each.

In essence, we always suspected that Danny was stealing the checkbook for
the reward and hid it as an investment. .. training in a smart dog gone
terribly terribly wrong!

If someone had said their dog was capable of doing that, I'd say NO WAY!.

But I lived with Danny, and I never "caught him" but we were sure that was
what was happening.

We never did find his hiding spots, and we KNOW he stole toenail clippers
(never to be found .. and never turned in for rewards either, again)

Tuck has shown lots of potential and although has yet to show the genius of
his siblings and father, certainly seems to be showing his father's
potential. I saw genius in his siblings from another litter very early on.
Tuck's mother was dumber than a brick, and never expected genius. But he's
a lot of fun.

Tuck is still living in the potential range. Danny never started showing
his genius until he was 3. Tuck turns two at the end of next month. So I'm
still waiting and watching to see what happens.
Old November 16th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

diddy wrote:
Ok I took a short 5 sec video of Tuck [AKA Mr Snappy-Grabby] retrieving the
duck leg (recreated) that I had so much grief with overnight.

my definition of incorruptible character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEH9jlnN4Y

What a Good Boy!!!!

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old November 16th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

In essence, we always suspected that Danny was stealing the checkbook for
the reward and hid it as an investment. .. training in a smart dog gone
terribly terribly wrong!

I'd say! He was holding the check book hostage, and of course, since you
ponied up when he gave it to you, the behavior got reinforced. Did you ever
consider telling him that he can keep his check book because you've ordered
a new one?

We never did find his hiding spots, and we KNOW he stole toenail clippers
(never to be found .. and never turned in for rewards either, again)

Now, that's a smart dog! If he had thought it through a little further, he
could've got himself a job as a dog-burglar, specializing in thieving
toenail clippers to save dog-dom from ever having their nails done.

I saw genius in his siblings from another litter very early on.

I have always wondered what happened to Tuck's littermate, and even the
other dogs in Danny's litter. How much do you think is nature/nurture?

Tuck is still living in the potential range. Danny never started showing
his genius until he was 3. Tuck turns two at the end of next month. So

I'm
still waiting and watching to see what happens.

In the meantime, install lots of hidden cameras. You may need help in the
near future.

Suja

Old November 16th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message:

In essence, we always suspected that Danny was stealing the checkbook
for the reward and hid it as an investment. .. training in a smart dog
gone terribly terribly wrong!

I'd say! He was holding the check book hostage, and of course, since
you ponied up when he gave it to you, the behavior got reinforced. Did
you ever consider telling him that he can keep his check book because
you've ordered a new one?

I always paid him well. What could I do? I was feeding the monster, but
since I only go shopping once a month, I had time to wait for him to
produce it.

If he didn't get paid, He might decide producing it was not worth his
efforts. He held me hostage the rest of his life.

No more than i paid.. I paid for the priviledge of loosing my checkbook
regularly

I saw genius in his siblings from another litter very early on.

I have always wondered what happened to Tuck's littermate, and even the
other dogs in Danny's litter. How much do you think is nature/nurture?

Della is living in a garage in California. No nuturing going on there. Her
breeder/owner claims she is VERY smart, the smartest she's ever had. But
she's never offered anything to demonstrate it.

The other puppies owners also reported issue related to extreme
intelligence. Such as having to put guards on the air conditioning
thermostat so they didn't live in igloos.

There is a downside to having dogs smarter than their owners.
Old November 16th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Suja wrote:

I'd say! He was holding the check book hostage, and of course, since you
ponied up when he gave it to you, the behavior got reinforced. Did you ever
consider telling him that he can keep his check book because you've ordered
a new one?

Danger. First they steal the checkbook. Then they forge your signature.

--Lia

Old November 16th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Danger. First they steal the checkbook. Then they forge your
signature.

--Lia

Don't EVEN go there!
Danny never asked to borrow the car keys either, but he did have his own
personal chauffeur!
Old November 16th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message :

Della is living in a garage in California. No nuturing going on there.

That is SO sad. Poor pup!

Her
breeder/owner claims she is VERY smart, the smartest she's ever had. But
she's never offered anything to demonstrate it.

I don't understand this. Why in the world did she keep the dog if she has
no intention of doing anything with her?

The other puppies owners also reported issue related to extreme
intelligence. Such as having to put guards on the air conditioning
thermostat so they didn't live in igloos.

That's pretty funny.

There is a downside to having dogs smarter than their owners.

Also a reason why a lot of smart dogs end up getting dumped. Most people
that claim they want a smart dog don't have the first clue what they're
getting themselves into.

Suja

Old November 16th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message :

Della is living in a garage in California. No nuturing going on there.

That is SO sad. Poor pup!

Her
breeder/owner claims she is VERY smart, the smartest she's ever had. But
she's never offered anything to demonstrate it.

I don't understand this. Why in the world did she keep the dog if she

has
no intention of doing anything with her?

She wanted the genetics for one. Danny had 10 pups total in his lifetime.

Danny came from a rare lineage. The reason is they were so smart, that the
owners had dogs with issues that they couldn't handle. Never ever buy a
dog that's smarter than you.

A lot of people agreed that the lineage preserved, but with extra-ordinary
care in placement. Since Della went to the actual breeder of the litter,
there is nothing I can say.

The other puppies owners also reported issue related to extreme
intelligence. Such as having to put guards on the air conditioning
thermostat so they didn't live in igloos.

That's pretty funny.

There is a downside to having dogs smarter than their owners.

Also a reason why a lot of smart dogs end up getting dumped. Most people
that claim they want a smart dog don't have the first clue what they're
getting themselves into

EXACTLY