Prong collar convert - Using Psycho 201 Language Correctly

Old November 17th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior, rec.pets.dogs.breeds, rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs.labrador, alt.pets.dogs.pitbull
[email protected]

Default Prong collar convert - Using Psycho 201 Language Correctly

Subject: Using Psycho 201 Language Correctly
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:03:56 -0500

Since the language of behavior modification was fairly well
established by 1950 or so, trying to change definitions is just
sophomoric games. Get a decent psych text before you start writing
about reward/punishment, and especially about aversion/relief of
aversion/and negative reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement = unconditional reward (something the doggy
already likes and doesn't need training to like). If you follow
something innocuous IMMEDIATELY with something very positive (a soft
sound with a shot of beef juice) the initially meaningless event will
become rewarding and can be used in the place of the unconditioned
reinforcement.

negative reinforcment = no response.

Aversive reinforcement = punishment

Relief of Aversion =
stopping an ongoing aversion (continual shock, loud noise, pricker,
etc)

Any stimulus can be conditioned (learned) to be a positive
reinforcement so long as it is not a strong aversive (and some fairly
strong aversives can be associated with strong reinforcers so that
they become positively reinforcing; but this association has to be
fairly continually reinforced).

There are many complications to using reward/punishment. Pavlov
demonstrated
that you could make dogs completely psychotic simply by following
certain schedules.

To my fairly certain knowledge the only population of humans who
condition more
readily and firmly to aversion are schizophrenics, indeed, its one way
to diagnose
the condition.

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.